Nexus 5 vs. Galaxy S4 Google Edition

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Which one should I get, and why? Assuming that money isn't an issue for me, compare and contrast the specs for each. If anyone owns or has experience with the S4 Google Edition, please share your experiences with me to help me make my decision.

Thanks in advance!

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Larger Screen +GPe (by .05")
Better screen +Nexus
More internal storage +Nexus (32 vs 16)
SD Card +GPe
Battery Life +Nexus
Removable Battery +GPe
Camera +GPe (probably, on MP it wins but we haven't seen pictures taken with the Nexus yet)
Speed of Updates +Nexus
Processor +Nexus (SoC permits active listening, much improved battery efficiency and theoretical 4k video capture)
Wireless Charging +Nexus
RAM -Even
Buttons +Nexus (subjective, but the Nexus follows Android standards, while the GPe does not)
Accessory Availability +GPe (same accessories as the TouchWiz versions)
Custom development community support +Nexus
Expected Price +Nexus
Expected Resistance to Obsolescence +Nexus
Size +Nexus (smaller form factor)

More categories can obviously be made, but so far my count is 11 Nexus categories to 5 GPe categories with 1 tie. There are many areas where they'll be approximately even, but as far as which one is the best value per dollar it's obviously the Nexus, and as far as which is a better device overall, unless you NEED 16GB with an SD card and/or a removable battery, the Nexus is clearly the better device (on paper) as well.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Larger and better screen +Nexus
SD Card +GPe
Battery Life +Nexus
Removable Battery +GPe
Camera +GPe (probably, on MP it wins but we haven't seen pictures taken with the Nexus yet)
Speed of Updates +Nexus
Processor +Nexus (SoC permits active listening, much improved battery efficiency and theoretical 4k video capture)
Wireless Charging +Nexus
RAM -Even
Buttons +Nexus (subjective, but the Nexus follows Android standards, while the GPe does not)
Expected Price +Nexus

You mind if I borrow your template for this? :p
Larger screen: GS4
Sharper and brighter screen: N5
Internal storage: Even
SD Card: GS4
Battery Life: GS4
Removable Battery: GS4
Camera: Probably the GS4
Speed and Number of Updates: N5
Processor: N5
Wireless Charging: Even
RAM: Even
Button: GS4 (I prefer hardware buttons vs software buttons)
Accessory Availability: S4
Custom development community support: Probably N5 even thought S4 has a lot as of today
Expected Resistance to Obsolescence: N5

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You mind if I borrow your template for this? :p
Larger screen: GS4
Sharper and brighter screen: N5
Internal storage: Even
SD Card: GS4
Battery Life: GS4
Removable Battery: GS4
Camera: Probably the GS4
Speed and Number of Updates: N5
Processor: N5
Wireless Charging: Even
RAM: Even
Button: GS4 (I prefer hardware buttons vs software buttons)
Accessory Availability: S4
Custom development community support: Probably N5 even thought S4 has a lot as of today
Expected Resistance to Obsolescence: N5

Not at all. I'd strongly disagree with battery life though. 3000MAh on a Nexus with a S800 should be quite a bit superior to 2600MAh with the S600. I need to edit mine, you're right the S4 does have a larger screen by .04" That and 32GB internal storage on the Nexus is much better IMO than the 16GB on the GPe. Given the expected 4-5GB reduction for the OS, etc, it's about an 145% increase in available internal storage.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not at all. I'd strongly disagree with battery life though. 3000MAh on a Nexus with a S800 should be quite a bit superior to 2600MAh with the S600. I need to edit mine, you're right the S4 does have a larger screen by .04" That and 32GB internal storage on the Nexus is much better IMO than the 16GB on the GPe. Given the expected 4-5GB reduction for the OS, etc, it's about an 145% increase in available internal storage.
It's supposed to have 2300 mAh though and I didn't know the GPE was only available in 16 GB, thought it would be like the others. Although he could get a 32 GB version and flash the GPE ROM :D

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Larger Screen +GPe (by .05")
Better screen +Nexus
SD Card +GPe
Battery Life +Nexus
Removable Battery +GPe
Speed of Updates +Nexus
Wireless Charging +Nexus
RAM -Even
Expected Price +Nexus

More categories can obviously be made, but so far my count is 11 Nexus categories to 5 GPe categories with 1 tie. There are many areas where they'll be approximately even, but as far as which one is the best value per dollar it's obviously the Nexus, and as far as which is a better device overall, unless you NEED 16GB with an SD card and/or a removable battery, the Nexus is clearly the better device (on paper) as well.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the GPe has a Super AMOLED display. Doesn't that make it better?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the GPe has a Super AMOLED display. Doesn't that make it better?

Depends on what you like, I prefer the SAMOLED screen but others like IPS. IPS is brighter and more color accurate while AMOLED has darker blacks and deeper reds but is a lot more saturated

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I'll just go out with a simple answer. If you like something that'll be future proof, Nexus is the way to go. If you want delayed updates and less software support, go with Sammy

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll just go out with a simple answer. If you like something that'll be future proof, Nexus is the way to go. If you want delayed updates and less software support, go with Sammy

How is it more future proof? Future proof would be like having an VoLTE capabilities or 64-bit processing. A S800 doesn't make it more future proof

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
True, Google might not support it for as long a period of time but there is a lot of dev support on xda and other rooting/flashing forums

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Google will be guaranteed to support their devices until they die from spec limitations, but the GPE won't.

thirdeye7

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
OP says money isn't an issue, so the "future proof" angle is probably irrelevant to him. He probably won't be sitting on either phone 2 years from now hoping for continued updates.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I usually keep phones from 6 months to a year. I currently have the Nexus 4, so I'm looking to upgrade to the Nexus 5 or the S4 Google Edition. I only need 1 year's worth of "future proofing" at best.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I usually keep phones from 6 months to a year. I currently have the Nexus 4, so I'm looking to upgrade to the Nexus 5 or the S4 Google Edition. I only need 1 year's worth of "future proofing" at best.

Then either should be fine. They won't stop dev support in 1 year.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Cameras can't be compared until we see samples but N5 has OIS which should make snapping good pictures easier. There is much more to a camera than MP count.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Its really an opinion thing. In my opinion IPS>SAMOLED>Standard LCD. The exception is Nokia's OLED displays with their ClearBlack polarized filter. You can see those displays outdoors in direct sunlight better than an LCD. That is the number one thing I miss from my Lumia 900.

Also, this thread is pointless until we get hands on time with the Nexus 5. There are certain things you simply cannot tell from the spec sheet. Given the different processors and screen technologies, we cannot make a definitive call on battery life based on the difference in battery size. We cannot compare cameras, Google said after the launch of the N4 that they were committed to making Nexus devices excellent cameras going forward and this is the first phone since then. OIS can make a huge difference in photo quality in low light situations. We simply cannot make a call until we see the photos both cameras produce. We cannot decide which display is better till we see the N5 display in person, and even then it is likely to be a subjective thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad