Poll: 16GB vs 32GB Edition

16GB or 32GB: Which and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i believe that the 8GB Nexus 4 sold out first before the 16GB. not sure what to infer from that if anything.

if the choice was 8GB vs. 16GB i'd definitely choose 16GB. but 16GB vs. 32GB - 16GB gives me plenty of room.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
i believe that the 8GB Nexus 4 sold out first before the 16GB. not sure what to infer from that if anything.

if the choice was 8GB vs. 16GB i'd definitely choose 16GB. but 16GB vs. 32GB - 16GB gives me plenty of room.

Yes, the 8GB was OOS well before the 16GB in every instance. Most people will buy the cheapest option. This is an enthusiast site so I'm not surprised at the poll results. I have a lot of content on my 16GB, enough to last hours or days without a signal, and a ton in the cloud that I tend to manage before going off of the grid. I also keep one nandroid backup of my rom/data and I still have 6+GB of storage available. It's reported USB OTG will be officially supported on the N5, rather than via a bit of a hack on the N4 (kernel and Y cable), so that's even less of reason to opt for the 32GB on the N5. That said, if it's really only $50 more for 32GB I see no reason not to get it "just in case" lol. The real question is white or black?! I've never been a fan of the previous white Nexus devices, but dayyyyum does that tuxedo N5 look good!! I'm getting a few at launch anyway (hopefully), so I'll just get both and offer the one I don't choose to one of the people I'm doing a favor:p

timGSU

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Even after reading this thread I'm still struggling with 16 GB vs 32 GB. Black vs White was easy for me once I saw a few video reviews of the unit.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Same answer as always and applies to any device: Depends how you use it.

If you use 5GB+ of music, play a lot of games, store a lot of videos: 32GB

If you mostly just use it for apps, streaming, store a few GB of music on it but your game/movie use is pretty low: 16GB

I'm also a tablet user so most of my media and games are on that, hence my phone's storage rarely goes above 8-10 GB.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
What's benefit of paying for storage never used for those who don't need it? It goes both ways

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
What's the benefit of less storage?

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Lower cost. Why buy a bucket of popcorn at the theater if you'll only eat what you get with a small? If you won't take advantage of that extra space, the savings by going with the 16GB could be put towards accessories, your next upgrade, or a gift for your significant other to distract them from the fact that you've upgraded. Again. (or, towards upgrading their phone too!)

If

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Good points but at 15% more its a good value IMO. Guess that's why we have a thread ;)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Good points but at 15% more its a good value IMO. Guess that's why we have a thread ;)

$50 more for 16GB is a horrible delivery on product value when factoring in the profit/part and what the cost is for a 32GB module vs a 16GB module... Consumers are run over roughshod in that respect. Of course, Google is not the worst offender - some companies will charge as much as $100 for the same memory difference (yeah I'm calling you out, Apple!).

But consumer end value is all about the value you personally place on it. If 16GB won't cut it, then it's well worth it. Gotta be able to do what you need to be able to do...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
$50 more for 16GB is a horrible delivery on product value when factoring in the profit/part and what the cost is for a 32GB module vs a 16GB module... Consumers are run over roughshod in that respect. Of course, Google is not the worst offender - some companies will charge as much as $100 for the same memory difference (yeah I'm calling you out, Apple!).

But consumer end value is all about the value you personally place on it. If 16GB won't cut it, then it's well worth it. Gotta be able to do what you need to be able to do...

Another good point. We assume Google and LG break even on the 16. A 32 with $8-10 more cost to them gives them 10% of the device as potential profit, which I defiantly want to help out with. 32GB sold!

GearJ2o

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Can Google Drive store videos and movies beside photos? If it can at least 2 out of 3, I'm going with 16 gb. If it can't store videos online, then I might have to consider 32 gb. Im not worried about movies anyway.

nicknacknock

May 7, 2013
Visit site
16GB.. would have opted for the 8GB if it was an option. I just stream wherever possible, don't need to store too much content except for some magazines or books.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
As someone who usually uses about 8-10 GB my thing is waiting for the hardware to reach a state where apps can be coded equal to full on PC applications. I'm predicting that's going to eventually start happening as a norm in about 2 years or more. At that point I'll start considering 32, 64, 128 GB phones.
Right now I'm not there since as I mentioned earlier I don't put much other than apps and a bit of music on it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

T-BoneX

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Seems like it depends on one's use case. Since we are talking wifi and not LTE, 16 GB is definitely sufficient. I can stream music from my HTC One 32 GB phone... or home laptop... or any wifi in general for free. For those times on a plane, etc, I need some content. 4 HD rips (720p) total about 6.5 GB for 8 hours of viewing. That leaves a few GB free for must-have music (I get the remainder of my music from my collection on Play Music).

-T

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21