What are the US carrier options for the Nexus 5, or any LTE phone?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I am currently on Verizon with a Droid DNA. I have great LTE coverage and performance, but the way Verizon take forever to update phones. I am interested in the Nexus 5, but what are my carrier options if I want reasonable LTE support nationwide? Are any of the second tier carriers an option?

Thanks,

Jerry

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I am currently on Verizon with a Droid DNA. I have great LTE coverage and performance, but the way Verizon take forever to update phones. I am interested in the Nexus 5, but what are my carrier options if I want reasonable LTE support nationwide? Are any of the second tier carriers an option?

Thanks,

Jerry

I doubt Verizon will get the N5 :\
1. Where do you live?
2. Do you travel a lot?
3. Second tier carriers? XD

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Will the phone be available in the stores of TMO and AT&T, or only the play store? I assume since TMO is/was selling the N4, that it will also be the case for the N5.

Posted with my S4 via Android Central App

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Will the phone be available in the stores of TMO and AT&T, or only the play store? I assume since TMO is/was selling the N4, that it will also be the case for the N5.

we won't know until launch. don't assume anything. my advice is to buy the Nexus 5 from the first place you can.

good luck.

galfert

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want the most LTE with a Nexus 5 then AT&T or one of its MNVOs is your best coverage nation wide.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I was just thinking about carriers that will carry the Nexus 5 and have done some research. Some background information on my "needs." I'm not looking for just myself, I have three lines with VZW, two with grandfathered unlimited data. One of the unlimited lines belongs to my 16 yr son......who is a streaming monster.....so unlimited is a requirement.

My wife and I each have a VZW Galaxy Nexus and we both love the pure android experience. My wife prefers the clean, no skin look of android, she finds skins too busy. I like the freedom and updates a Nexus device provides.

We live in a major metro area where all carriers have excellent coverage. I travel about 30% of my time including about 7 trips to Europe every year. My wife travels to Florida several times a year to visit her mother. Again in areas where most major carriers have excellent coverage.......except VZW. VZW's international roaming experience is a pain.

So, I want an N5. Knowing my wife, once she handles one, so will she. My son tends to try and be different....he is talking about a G2 or maybe the next Galaxy S5. I think you can see where this is going........TMo here we come.

TMo hasthe desired devices and excellent coverage where we are and where we go. The new international feature offered by TMo for FREE will be great, all countries I visit are in the plan. In terms of pricing it looks like a wash to move all three phones to TMo with unlimited and uncapped data. Plus all three phones will have unlimited voice and text which isn't the case now. Also, I get a corporate discount from VZW and the cost still looks like a wash.....even with the phone payments (though I will probably buy the phones outright). In fact, I'll probably add the Jump feature to each line just for the insurance and still keep my expense about flat....maybe 20- 30 USD more depending on how I purchase the phones.

Bottom line, I like my Nexus phone, I want an N5, VZW will probably not get it, and, even if they did, TMo's value proposition is better for me. Of course the primary factor is coverage and I am fortunate enough to be in areas where Tmo's service is at least good, if not excellent (and constantly getting better).

Anybody else dropping VZW so they can get an N5 and because of the way VZW treats you as a long time, loyal unlimited customer?

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I to am considering a move to TMo, they just fired up LTE here in Knoxville, and depending on what I can get out of our current phones I will likely see a large drop in monthly phone bill. I'm going to try to get access to a tmo capable phone that I can use in the $30 Walmart plan along side my normal phone to test out coverage and make sure it will work for us.... My contract isn't up till Jan anyway, our other two lines are ready to go though.

Posted via Android Central App

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile is the cheaper and more reliable alternative in the long run. AT&T has better coverage though

Sent from the last HTC device with a removable battery on T-Mobile

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

TMO possibly. AT&T, no. I was in a store today. I already new the answer, but asked them about the N5 anyway. The tools there are clueless.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I will be using it on the att network. Might swap over to a MNVO but not to sure. I could save some cash to be honest.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I was just thinking about carriers that will carry the Nexus 5 and have done some research. Some background information on my "needs." I'm not looking for just myself, I have three lines with VZW, two with grandfathered unlimited data. One of the unlimited lines belongs to my 16 yr son......who is a streaming monster.....so unlimited is a requirement.

My wife and I each have a VZW Galaxy Nexus and we both love the pure android experience. My wife prefers the clean, no skin look of android, she finds skins too busy. I like the freedom and updates a Nexus device provides.

We live in a major metro area where all carriers have excellent coverage. I travel about 30% of my time including about 7 trips to Europe every year. My wife travels to Florida several times a year to visit her mother. Again in areas where most major carriers have excellent coverage.......except VZW. VZW's international roaming experience is a pain.

So, I want an N5. Knowing my wife, once she handles one, so will she. My son tends to try and be different....he is talking about a G2 or maybe the next Galaxy S5. I think you can see where this is going........TMo here we come.

TMo hasthe desired devices and excellent coverage where we are and where we go. The new international feature offered by TMo for FREE will be great, all countries I visit are in the plan. In terms of pricing it looks like a wash to move all three phones to TMo with unlimited and uncapped data. Plus all three phones will have unlimited voice and text which isn't the case now. Also, I get a corporate discount from VZW and the cost still looks like a wash.....even with the phone payments (though I will probably buy the phones outright). In fact, I'll probably add the Jump feature to each line just for the insurance and still keep my expense about flat....maybe 20- 30 USD more depending on how I purchase the phones.

Bottom line, I like my Nexus phone, I want an N5, VZW will probably not get it, and, even if they did, TMo's value proposition is better for me. Of course the primary factor is coverage and I am fortunate enough to be in areas where Tmo's service is at least good, if not excellent (and constantly getting better).

Anybody else dropping VZW so they can get an N5 and because of the way VZW treats you as a long time, loyal unlimited customer?

As a former subscriber to both Sprint and Verizon, the Nexus 4 was my first GSM phone. Now that I am able to also buy some very good Chinese knockoffs(not sure that I am aloud to mention the websites) I could never go back to a CDMA phone. With CDMA phones, you have very little options. Verizon phones only work on Verizon and Sprint phones only work on Sprint. For the life of me, I do not know why anyone would be willing to put up with that. With that being said let Verizon go unless of course it it the only carrier that will work in you area.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
As a former subscriber to both Sprint and Verizon, the Nexus 4 was my first GSM phone. Now that I am able to also buy some very good Chinese knockoffs(not sure that I am aloud to mention the websites) I could never go back to a CDMA phone. With CDMA phones, you have very little options. Verizon phones only work on Verizon and Sprint phones only work on Sprint. For the life of me, I do not know why anyone would be willing to put up with that. With that being said let Verizon go unless of course it it the only carrier that will work in you area.

agreed. with a CDMA phone, even though i "own" it, i never feel like i "own" it because it is always locked to the carrier.

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Will the Nexus 5 work on any GSM carrier ?
My only possible option to get a Nexus device is to use Viaero Wireless. From what I have read they definitely are a GSM network and a roaming partner with ATT and possibly Tmobile.

Last edited:

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

Tmobile is a great choice IF you have great coverage because their new LTE is getting better and covering more locations and the prices are really cheap compared to the competition. I have tmobile and I don't get that good coverage at home...so my phone's battery suffers but at school it is excellent.. my girlfriend has Verizon and she is paying WAYY too much... around $300 for a 4 line 1gb shared data i think or 2gbs shared... while I have a 5 line 2.5gb for two lines and one has unlimited data for around $200.
Also planning on getting the G2 but that Nexus 5 doe... ill wait till it releases then decided

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So funny reading all these LOL.
I hope the N5 comes to Sprint, as I have unlimited everything on 5 lines, great LTE in Miami, and all for $250 taxes and fees already included in the number.

Sent from my SPH-L710

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
People, why don't we wait before we assume Verizon won't get the N5.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Joe, IIRC you stated in another thread that you work for Verizon...do you know something? Anyway, with the unlimited grandfathered data that my son and I have had since the original Droid, I feel like VZW has been treating me like I was some sort of disease. All I feel is VZW heat to abandon my unlimited data. YES, I can keep it and buy a phone but I can do that with other carriers. Consequently, that changes the dynamics of the decision and creates opportunities for me to consider other carriers.

Someone should remind VZW that customer retention is key to a business's success, especially retaining customers who have been loyal and profitable. I would put unlimited customers who have been with VZW more than 6 years and kept their accounts in good standing in this category.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon