Is the Nexus 5 worth it coming from HTC One GPE

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC One that I have RUU flashed to be a Google Play Edition. At first I was all for selling it to get a Nexus 5, but now I'm reconsidering. Do you guys think the Nexus 5 will be an upgrade from the HTC One?

One Advantages:
Speakers
Metal materials

Nexus 5 Advantages:
Processor
Screen Size (though onscreen buttons diminish this slightly)
Overall size
Update speed

Likely draws:
Build quality
RAM
Battery Life

Unknowns:
Camera (I think this will likely be a draw or slight Nexus advantage

What do you guys think? The biggest thing I am worried about missing is the speakers and I want to know if the Nexus 5 will be worth losing them.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the exact same boat as you and one of my biggest things is the speaker and beats audio, but I think I may go with the nexus 5. I wouldn't mind the slightly larger screen and the processor upgrade would be nice and I have a feeling the camera will be better too. I'm kinda tired of the ultrapixel camera now. Zooming is basically useless.

I think overall if I can get close to what I pay for the nexus 5 out of selling my One, it'll be worth it. Another thing I factor in is my nexus 7 (2013). Its the first device I haven't rooted/unlocked because I'm perfectly fine with the software. Not saying I won't root it in the future (omni ROM looks interesting) but I'm content with it right now and I think that'll be how the nexus 5 will be.

Posted via Android Central App

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Tough call. I think many Android enthusiasts who bought a new phone within the last 12 are wrestling with this question even if they are happy with their present device. They don't really need a new Nexus 5, or the upgrade will be incremental and not major. There is something about the lure of a Nexus 5, stock android, and the incredible price point that makes it extremely attractive even though we are just projecting at this point.

If speakers were the most important factor to me, then it'd probably tip the scales for me to keep the One GPe for the time being. I'd wait for the first wave of buyers and reviews and then decide what to do. But you really can't go wrong. As the mentioned above, your out-of-pocket expense for the Nexus 5 likely will be zero if you sell your One GPe and buy the N5.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Tough call. I think many Android enthusiasts who bought a new phone within the last 12 are wrestling with this question even if they are happy with their present device. They don't really need a new Nexus 5, or the upgrade will be incremental and not major. There is something about the lure of a Nexus 5, stock android, and the incredible price point that makes it extremely attractive even though we are just projecting at this point.

If speakers were the most important factor to me, then it'd probably tip the scales for me to keep the One GPe for the time being. I'd wait for the first wave of buyers and reviews and then decide what to do. But you really can't go wrong. As the mentioned above, your out-of-pocket expense for the Nexus 5 likely will be zero if you sell your One GPe and buy the N5.

I think this is the way to go for me. I love the speakers on my One so much, but I use the camera more often. If the Nexus 5 turns out to be a significant camera upgrade and not just incremental, that will likely be the deciding factor for me. Much better camera and I'll go Nexus, slightly better camera I'll stay One.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think this is the way to go for me. I love the speakers on my One so much, but I use the camera more often. If the Nexus 5 turns out to be a significant camera upgrade and not just incremental, that will likely be the deciding factor for me. Much better camera and I'll go Nexus, slightly better camera I'll stay One.

It seems like camera quality is often problematic on new devices. It is not until they upgrade the software do we get any sort of sense how good camera quality is.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the point of doing that. To me, I only upgrade when there are significant improvements.

I upgraded from HTC one X to Galaxy Note 3, I got bigger screen, Better and replaceable battery, Better network speed that can replace my mobile hotspot.

To me, from HTC one to Nexus 5 represent little, if any improvement.

@T-Mobile GN3

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a similar debate with myself. I was really looking forward to the One Max, especially to have Boomsound on a larger phone. But when it was ultimately revealed, I was underwhelmed by the older specs. I know specs aren't everything (Moto proves that), but if I'm going to buy something, I want to make sure it'll last for two years. So the Max is out. I may go with the Moto X if the Nexus 5 isn't all it's being hyped up to be, because I know Moto made the software good enough to not need the latest everything.

But my plan is, I'm going to get the Nexus 5 and some Bluetooth speakers with the money I'm saving by not buying a more expensive phone. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get both the N5 and some speakers with the money you sell your One for, but who knows? I hope my story has helped and wish you the best with your decision.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX