Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Seriously, when is the Nexus 5 coming?

There comes a point when foreplay needs to end and it is time to get down to business. I believe the time came and went some time ago. Can't take this anymore.

Is Google at least going to give us a date at the event today?
    thehabsonice likes this.

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Seriously, when is the Nexus 5 coming?

I think today is the day. My crystal ball agrees.
    Live long and prosper.

He he...

My gut feeling is telling me sometime between soon and not anytime soon.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    digink#AC, jdot104, fury2g and 6 others like this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I'm guessing between now and Dec. More likely sooner than later I hope! I guess we will see. But on a side note I'd rather them take longer to release it and release SUCCESSFULLY with inventory then the failure we saw with the N4. So waiting might be in our best interest anyways.
    TheDoctor 46 and UJ95x like this.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I don't care if they don't ship till January. I just want to place my order and be done and know that it is coming. So that I can better focus on other things

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    TheDoctor 46 and ACADM like this.

Global Posts
    3,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.4

Please, please, please don't turn this website into "crackberry". Please stop asking "when". It will get here, when it gets here. People kept asking about BB10, for months and months, and when it finally came, a lot of people weren't happy with it.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    Please, please, please don't turn this website into "crackberry". Please stop asking "when". It will get here, when it gets here. People kept asking about BB10, for months and months, and when it finally came, a lot of people weren't happy with it.
    You're right, but the Nexus 5 isn't going to be a piece of doodoo.
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:
    fury2g and AbuYazeedUK like this.

Global Posts
    3,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Absolutely! I would prefer it to be the same size as the 4, but slightly larger will still work for me, and it MUST have 4G LTE, and at least,16GB.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

ROM
    Viper

I would be willing to bet money that SOMETHING will come out of the meeting tonight nexus related. Maybe not the device, but some sort of reliable info about the release. Even if it it is just something like "first half of November"
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
    thehabsonice likes this.

I would be very surprised if they don't announce anything about the ''announcement'' at the google play event today. That actually sounds quite ridiculous... common google.

Yeah I have to agree that if they don't at least acknowledge the nexus 5 at the event tonight it would be very ridiculous. I still can't believe it's just going to be about Google play.

qnet and thehabsonice like this.

It will be available for order approximately 3 minutes before the first appearance of dozens of threads complaining the Play store being down when people are trying to order it.

Take a second... look down at the phone in your hand. Whatever it may be. For me, its a Galaxy Nexus.

Remember feeling the same way about that phone. Thats right...the phone that now sits on your desk covered in fingerprints and scratches. Remember how bad you wanted the box to get to your door...how you sat and fiddled with every setting. Now realize how bored you are with it.

Take a second and realize that the N5 isn't going to be much different. Sure it'll be running 4.4. But the N5 isn't going to be the giant leap that occurred when ICS came out.

Take a deep breath and realize that within a few days the novelty will be gone and you'll be just as bored with the N5. So stop wasting your life worrying about when it'll be here.
    Thanked by 5:
    digink#AC, qnet, edgar and 10 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stabbedintheface View Post
    Take a second... look down at the phone in your hand. Whatever it may be. For me, its a Galaxy Nexus.

Remember feeling the same way about that phone. Thats right...the phone that now sits on your desk covered in fingerprints and scratches. Remember how bad you wanted the box to get to your door...how you sat and fiddled with every setting. Now realize how bored you are with it.

Take a second and realize that the N5 isn't going to be much different. Sure it'll be running 4.4. But the N5 isn't going to be the giant leap that occurred when ICS came out.

Take a deep breath and realize that within a few days the novelty will be gone and you'll be just as bored with the N5. So stop wasting your life worrying about when it'll be here.
    Generally speaking, very true. But there can be exceptions... I've had my N4 since December, and still absolutely love everything about it (and it remains, somewhat miraculously, scratch-free). Admittedly it's not been in my hands as long as you've had your Nexus, but the N4 is the first smartphone I've owned for which the thrill of ownership has endured (and continues to endure). Of course, the N5 isn't really bringing anything breathtakingly new to the table beyond that which the N4 provides other than LTE (obtainable on N4 for Tmo users) and KK (which will also arrive to N4), so that may be part of it.
    ConTejas likes this.

I recently bought a note 3 from the nexus 4 and honestly, I am no longer interested in the nexus 5. The nexus experience is second to none in many ways, but after owning the note 3, I can't say I will miss it much. The awesome camera, the S Pen, and many Samsung bits and pieces fill in the gaps left between that and a pure Android vibe.

Let's face it, the nexus was great in having the latest from Google, but after all the latest changes in how they detach more and more from the Android core, plus the last updates being almost cosmetic, I just don't see that much value in owning a nexus anymore.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 3:

I know this is rumor stuff. but I have a feeling when the N5 does arrive many of us including myself will be disappointed when they ask for $400-500 or even more.
    Offering last years N4 and turning on the LTE that the phone had in the first place and charging $300-400. Is seriously shady. I personally do not plan on leaving my carrier anytime soon so if N5 is carried in the play store only & has some insane pricing, I would rather get a $99 Moto X or $289 Note 3 on contract.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Ha ha, good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan Smith View Post
    I know this is rumor stuff. but I have a feeling when the N5 does arrive many of us including myself will be disappointed when they ask for $400-500 or even more.
    Offering last years N4 and turning on the LTE that the phone had in the first place and charging $300-400. Is seriously shady. I personally do not plan on leaving my carrier anytime soon so if N5 is carried in the play store only & has some insane pricing, I would rather get a $99 Moto X or $289 Note 3 on contract.
    You need to run those numbers a little more carefully. That $99 moto x on contract is costing you a lot more than $99.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    ConTejas likes this.

Yes. But you are worried. Couse you're here...

Quote Originally Posted by stabbedintheface View Post

Yes. But you're worried. Course you're here.

Global Posts
    1,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

I wouldn't surprise me if we heard something about it at the event this evening but, it also wouldn't surprise me if we hear absolutely nothing related to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBeit View Post
    You need to run those numbers a little more carefully. That $99 moto x on contract is costing you a lot more than $99.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Exactly! I can't believe so many people say they pay "only $99" for the iPhone 5c, for instance... More like several hundred dollars at the end of the two year contract!

For me, it is a no brainer... Save the money and buy out of contract when you can afford it, it's way cheaper and keeps you free and with all options open.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    Don't worry, you've got about a year and a half before it gets a desperate as crackberry over here.

It's a pretty certain thing that Google wouldn't 'slip' and show $350 pricing for an N5 on their site only to increase it on release a couple of weeks later, as that would generate some serious fury, so the '$400-500 or even more' doesn't even merit rumor status imo at this point.

As to a renovated N4 with certified LTE, it's pretty darned unlikely. Given the cost of modifying the hardware to support AT&T LTE (and anything less would be pointless since Tmo N4 users can just root their device to activate it since it's already compatible for them), required new FCC certification, and competition against a newer Nexus... it doesn't make financial sense - and it doesn't follow the general concept of the Nexus model, being a relatively low-cost option to provide a premium Android experience and developer-friendly hardware system.

And by comparison to subsidized contract prices, you'll likely have options to do the same, effectively, with the N5 in deferring some or all of the cost over time into the monthly service cost of a plan.

$350 pricing was confirmed for the Nexus 5. For some people buying off contract can save a lot of money. Going with a $45 Straight Talk plan is comperable to a $70 AT&T plan. That will save you $600 over the course of the 24 month contract, and you still are on AT&T. On Aio Wireless (which uses and is owned by AT&T) you can get 7 GB of data with unlimited call and text for $70. That same price gets you 2 GB on contract.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast