• 5 Post By Phil Nickinson
  • 1 Post By stockandroidguy
  • 1 Post By snoopyandroid
  • 1 Post By TomW093
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

Default Nexus 5 on Virgin Mobile on Nov. 8?

FWIW, this just hit the ol' tips box.

Nexus 5 on Virgin Mobile on Nov. 8?-virgin-nexus-5.png

Take it for what it is, subject to change, be wrong, blah blah blah.

Default Re: Nexus 5 on Virgin Mobile on Nov. 8?

That's what the mobilesyrup rumour said as well. Is this confirmation? I hope so!!!!

I really hope this is true, I've been waiting for this phone for over a month.

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Nice. This next week should be exciting with news and leaks.

Posted with my S4 via Android Central App

Priced at $499, I think a lot of people who were looking at it starting at $349 are going to be very disappointed when the real pricing of $449/499 (16/32GB) is revealed.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    Priced at $499, I think a lot of people who were looking at it starting at $349 are going to be very disappointed when the real pricing of $449/499 (16/32GB) is revealed.
    Its probably normal price off contract, Nexus 4 was the same way at t-mobile off contract. Google subsidizes the ones on the play store, or have in the past

Quote Originally Posted by jjt981 View Post
    Its probably normal price off contract, Nexus 4 was the same way at t-mobile off contract. Google subsidizes the ones on the play store, or have in the past
    Exactly what I thought since since Tmobile did the same thing with the N4. I think Google sells it almost at cost. I still predict 349/399 pricing. I have a feeling this pretty much confirms it (I Hope) *Holds Breath*

Leave it to Good Ol' Phil to keep us on our toes. Thanks!
    jjt981 likes this.

If it's priced at 449/499, I'm not sure I will choose Nexus 5 over iPad Air because I cant afford both.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicong Li View Post
    If it's priced at 449/499, I'm not sure I will choose Nexus 5 over iPad Air because I cant afford both.
    That price is off contract from Virgin. It'll be a lot cheaper on contract or through google.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyandroid View Post
    That price is off contract from Virgin. It'll be a lot cheaper on contract or through google.
    Good to know. Thanks!

I don't think people ever really realized that the Nexus 4 didn't actually retail for $299/$349, it retailed at typical flagship pricing. T-Mobile sold it unlocked for, what was it, $500 or $600? Definitely not cheap. This applied to every other official retailer that wasn't Google. The ONLY official retailer that priced the Nexus 4 at $299 was Google. The phone isn't really that cheap, Google simply subsidizes it, kind of like a carrier, except without any contract or other catches. That's how LG makes money out of the deal. I'd be shocked if Google actually paid only $300 for each Nexus 4. I'm actually wondering if Google really did still lose money with each Nexus 4 sold. It would certainly explain why Google never seemed to carry a huge stock of them; if you're still losing money even if you DO sell your entire stock, you sure as hell wouldn't want to overestimate the demand and end up with surplus.

I suspect the Nexus 5 will be a similar story. Google will be the only retailer to sell it at an absurdly cheap price.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Virgin Mobile Canada/International, not Virgin Mobile USA I presume?

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lanzeelus View Post
    I don't think people ever really realized that the Nexus 4 didn't actually retail for $299/$349, it retailed at typical flagship pricing. T-Mobile sold it unlocked for, what was it, $500 or $600? Definitely not cheap. This applied to every other official retailer that wasn't Google. The ONLY official retailer that priced the Nexus 4 at $299 was Google. The phone isn't really that cheap, Google simply subsidizes it, kind of like a carrier, except without any contract or other catches. That's how LG makes money out of the deal. I'd be shocked if Google actually paid only $300 for each Nexus 4. I'm actually wondering if Google really did still lose money with each Nexus 4 sold. It would certainly explain why Google never seemed to carry a huge stock of them; if you're still losing money even if you DO sell your entire stock, you sure as hell wouldn't want to overestimate the demand and end up with surplus.

I suspect the Nexus 5 will be a similar story. Google will be the only retailer to sell it at an absurdly cheap price.
    Doesn't make sense for them to sell it at a loss, probably very low profit. The reason the carriers sell it for so much is because they know people who do buy it through them aren't aware of the Google Play cost.

Quote Originally Posted by japhule View Post
    Virgin Mobile Canada/International, not Virgin Mobile USA I presume?
    Virgin Canada. The date of Nov 8th confirms an earlier report that the N5 will be released on Canadian carriers on Nov 8th.

Posted via Android Central App
    OffKilter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Doesn't make sense for them to sell it at a loss, probably very low profit. The reason the carriers sell it for so much is because they know people who do buy it through them aren't aware of the Google Play cost.
    Here's my theory: Google is betting that selling the Nexus devices at a cheap cost is good for their long term business model. Google isn't in this to make money giving free software to manufacturers, and they certainly aren't going to make money buying phones and selling them at a cheaper cost.

Google' business is information they can use for ad revenue, be it mapping data, music trends, etc. Look at how many apps Samsung includes that duplicates. Their own browser, chat client, email client, and even their own store (and now a Developer's conference to go along with all this). And Samsung DOMINATES Android. Any time someone uses Samsung browser, Chat-On, or even (shutters) S-Voice; vice Chrome, Hangouts and Google Now, Samsung gets that information rather than Google. And I know that us within these forums know better, but for the average consumer, they'll just use whatever was on the phone. A good friend of mine got the Galaxy S 4 this spring, and was using S-Voice until I showed her how to get to Google Now, and how much better it was (and I remapped her home key to make things even easier).

When Google controls both software and hardware, they can just release THEIR apps without worrying about the third party manufacturer putting their stuff on. While the carrier pricing is what it is, selling them for cheap(er) on the Play store leads more consumer to the product. Honestly, were it not for the Nexus pricing, I would have picked up a Note 3 or be looking into the One Max. I imagine the sales from the GPE HTC One and S4 still go to HTC and Samsung, with a cut going to Google for the cost of the pages. While Google may be eating some cost in the short run by selling the devices at a negative or break even margin, the information they get by people using their services will more than make up for the cost of the device. And if anyone has money to invest in the short term, it's Google.

This is all just an educated guess based on knowing about Google and knowing about different products. If it's true, awesome. If not, then I'd be interested to learn the true reason or logic.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    5,730 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

So on the hardware side, that confirms the Sprint version, yes? Virgin runs on Sprint?

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    So on the hardware side, that confirms the Sprint version, yes? Virgin runs on Sprint?
    Yes Sprint owns Virgin mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by eRod v1.0 View Post
    Yes Sprint owns Virgin mobile.

Virgin Mobile Canada is owned by Bell and runs on the Bell network. I don't know if Bell uses the same bands as Sprint, but that's what Google's for.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Yep

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

That's awesome news! In so excited to be able to get a Nexus on Sprint.

Go Hokies!