Open Letter to Google Android Team

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I find the anticipation of a phone equal and as pleasurable as the phones actual release.

Then I check the reviews and don't buy it...Its fun to check every day and anticipate Christmas....

I think I'm looking forward to the N5 as much as anyone.

The wait is part of the fun!!!

I still marvel at using my GNexus everyday! The amazing variety of things it can do puts a smile on my face everyday!

That's the sentiment I think us Power Users some times lose track of.

Still...Can't Wait!!! :)

I remember in 1992 no one understood why I had a cell phone and why I was excited. In 2007 no one else I knew watched Apples keynote and got excited. Is that a Blackberry they asked? Finally its 2013...everyone and their grandmother has a smartphone...Its still exciting and I hope it and the innovation never ends.

Posted via Android Central App

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't really care which Android phones sell as long as Android gets the win/sale. Google doesn't want to push the Nexus too hard because they don't want to sabotage/alienate/cannibalize their other hardware partners ie Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, et al. so they actually WANT a softer launch.

If this is case, why am I seeing nexus 7 ads every time I turn on my TV?

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
tablets are not phones my friend. how many Nexus phone commercials have you seen?

Sure, but the post was about Nexus and hardware partners.
I don't see how a phone is different from a tablet.

Wouldn't surprise to see nexus 5 ads

footysr

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, even though I'm running a Nokia 920 because my kid lost my Nexus 4 and I'm really looking forward to the Nexus 5. It's probably best I don't know when it will be released so I'm not tempted to stay home from work just to get my order in. ;)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Sure, but the post was about Nexus and hardware partners.
I don't see how a phone is different from a tablet.

Wouldn't surprise to see nexus 5 ads

The biggest difference is that the Nexus phones' direct competitors are the other leading Android phones. These phones make up a vast majority of the Android install base, and if Google starts visibly pushing hard with the Nexus phone against its competitors flagship devices, it may ruffle some feathers. Microsoft played the same game with the Surface launch, and there was much concern about Microsoft competing directly with its usual hardware partners. The Nexus tablets' direct competitors (as in, the other Android tablets) don't hold nearly as large of a majority of the market, and aggressively push the tablets isn't as likely to cause significant tension with the Android device manufacturers.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
To the OP...I think the main reason you've face some opposition with your stance is because we know that it IS coming, and it's HIGHLY likely coming soon. Yeah, for those planning to get one, some hard dates would be nice, but none the less, based on the info we are already have and Google's actions in the past, it's a pretty safe bet that were coming up a release date. Most folks who want Nexus 5 will wait for it, as there really is no other non-Nexus device that can match some of the more sought-after qualities of the Nexus line.

Now, if a few more weeks pass and there's still no announcement, I bet you'd have a LOT more folks jumping on your bandwagon, but as of yet, Google hasn't exactly missed any expected dates yet...so it's just not time to panic (yet), but rather to continue waiting patiently.

I will say though, as someone who is more interested in the Nexus 10, I am a bit concerned over the lack of info on that....I don't think anyone even knows if there will be a Nexus 10 this year. That won't bother me too much, except for the fact that I've been passing up some great sales on the current N10 just waiting to hear about whether or not there will be a new one this year.

If this is case, why am I seeing nexus 7 ads every time I turn on my TV?

The Nexus 7 has been handled differently by Google since they launched their first one last year. Unlike their other devices, the N7 was much more ground-breaking in many ways, in terms of features and pricing. Yes, there were 7" tablets prior to the Nexus 7, but it really was the first device with that form factor to really take off, and Google didn't exactly have to step on that many toes to make that happen. In some ways, it was the perfect anti-iPad...and that is why I think Google invests such a larger amount of advertising $ for it (because I can't imagine their making a lot of $ off of it, at least not in direct sales).

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I think it comes down to we aren't privy to all that goes on behind the scenes at Google and we don't know exactly what the business strategy and logistics are.

Example, what if there was a showstopper bug and they announced far in advance and then had to retract and push a date back?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
no. i think a Halloween (Kit Kat) announcement was the plan all along. they set the plan and are now following the plan. there are a lot of moving parts and a lot of partners involved in a product launch like this. it's all heavily orchestrated and coordinated - some of which by contract. they don't change dates at the last minute unless it's absolutely necessary - like acts of God - and it's silly and naive to think they would. this is a major corporation with the smartest collection of minds in the world and they are professionals - not amateurs selling lemonade at a neighborhood stand.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think if Google's primary concern was Nexus sales they would have a big marketing campaign for it. They don't, never did and who knows if they will. 2 primary reasons why products aren't heavily marketing.... not enough money or don't care too much about the adoption. I'm pretty sure it's the latter here.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They'll announce the phone when they're ready.

Personally I'd rather see all companies narrow the window between official announcement and product availability.

Posted via Android Central App

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
no. i think a Halloween (Kit Kat) announcement was the plan all along. they set the plan and are now following the plan. there are a lot of moving parts and a lot of partners involved in a product launch like this. it's all heavily orchestrated and coordinated - some of which by contract. they don't change dates at the last minute unless it's absolutely necessary - like acts of God - and it's silly and naive to think they would. this is a major corporation with the smartest collection of minds in the world and they are professionals - not amateurs selling lemonade at a neighborhood stand.
I agree with almost everything...Except the part about the lemonade stand...most lemonade stands sell lemonade more efficiently than Google sells phones on their launch date. If you tried ordering the N4 last year(For month's), you know what I'm talking about.( And yes I am just trying to be funny):D

This year I do think it will be different, I think they know from their past experiences with the "Play Store" that they can't handle a big launch. So the phone will be everywhere at launch...All the big and small retailers B&M and online as well. Which is good since I still plan to order mine from the "Play Store" since I wouldn't go in a B&M if you paid me. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power