Sprint Nexus 5

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I live in Orlando, I don't know where Jocelyn lives but while there is 4G in a decent amount of Orlando, for the most part it is still pretty damn slow (while better than 3G which was SLOWER than 56k) and even then it is spotty.

Sprint in Orlando is terrible, IMO. The only city I've used Sprint and found it to be half decent was in Atlanta... even then, with the terrible and inconsistent customer service I will take my business elsewhere ASAP.

My contract was going to be up in June, didn't want to wait that long so force roamed on Verizon for a few months pulling over 80 GB of roaming this past month, got my termination letter a few days ago so I'm out without ETF and couldn't be happier. Been with Sprint for 10+ years, joined my first year in the Navy and just never realized how bad Sprint was until about five years ago when I was working doing broadband/fiber work and my employer had us on Verizon. A year ago I started messing with friends' T-Mo phones since I had moved from Seattle to Baltimore and it really sank in just how bad Sprint was. I just never thought phone data was THAT much faster. Fast forward to today though, as soon as the N5 lands, I'm picking it up and heading down to the store to pick up a sim for T-Mo and calling it a day.

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
as i said - there's no Sprint $50 unlimited everything plan. even after discounts.

So you're claiming its not unlimited, because I can't do over 1000 land line minutes? Lol okay fine, essentially unlimited and unlimited in every way for me anyway. You're right in a technical sense, but wrong in a practical sense :)

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So you're claiming its not unlimited, because I can't do over 1000 land line minutes? Lol okay fine, essentially unlimited and unlimited in every way for me anyway. You're right in a technical sense, but wrong in a practical sense :)

No, he is right... the statement UNLIMITED encompasses everything regardless of whether or not it is practical to you. When calling land lines you aren't going to an unlimited bank therefore you're not unlimited...

Sorry if I seem a bit aggressive, not trying to be, but there is no wiggle room when it comes to fact. You're not in politics are you?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I just hope Sprint doesn't ruin the price on this thing. Surely they cant just jack the price up on a $350 phone, right?

Well you have to remember the one from Google is subsidized from Google. A sprint version I'd guess is more subsidized by sprint.

Posted via Android Central App

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you look again, it's actually 1000 and those only get used when making calls to landlines lol. Any mobile, anytime is unlimited imo.

as i said - there's no Sprint $50 unlimited everything plan. even after discounts.

SERO also no longer exists. So it's nice that you have a good plan and might be worth holding onto. But it can't be duplicated by a new member.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well you have to remember the one from Google is subsidized from Google. A sprint version I'd guess is more subsidized by sprint.

Posted via Android Central App

I wish ppl would stop using this argument until Google confirms that it's what they do.

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I wish ppl would stop using this argument until Google confirms that it's what they do.

Not sure what you mean. The N4 was a no-contract subsidy from Google which is why the Play store version was so much less than say, the T-Mo version. If you're talking about the Sprint version, well, Sprint is going to mark that bad boy up like any other carrier would.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you mean. The N4 was a no-contract subsidy from Google which is why the Play store version was so much less than say, the T-Mo version. If you're talking about the Sprint version, well, Sprint is going to mark that bad boy up like any other carrier would.

Google makes the phone, they aren't paying $500+ for these phones like say T-Mo or Sprint would. While its likely true there is little if any profit built into the cost of these, we have no idea what Google is actually paying for these there things so anyone saying they're subsidized is simply assuming that's the case.

When N4 was released the report was it costs $200 ish in components so I don't think they are necessarily subsidizing them. However they most likely eat the cost to develop them.

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Google makes the phone, they aren't paying $500+ for these phones like say T-Mo or Sprint would. While its likely true there is little if any profit built into the cost of these, we have no idea what Google is actually paying for these there things so anyone saying they're subsidized is simply assuming that's the case.

When N4 was released the report was it costs $200 ish in components so I don't think they are necessarily subsidizing them. However they most likely eat the cost to develop them.

100% agree, but I think you'll find that most people who say Google is subsidizing them is basically shorthanding the meaning to be they're just making minimal profit. I doubt there's a stack of paperwork somewhere to actually subsidize them all. Is it inaccurate to say Google is subsidizing them? Probably, but it's also not misleading the idea, simply giving it an easy to understand/identify name rather than say Google is selling them above cost.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
There are, financially, such better options out there than Sprint. Two that immediately come to mind are T-Mobile themselves ($30/mo plan) and Straight Talk, which accommodates both CDMA and GSM service and gives you everything you are getting from Sprint, but unlimited, for $45/mo.

I left Sprint for T-Mo, and I didn't even care about the ETF because I have long-since gotten back all that money and more by spending $50/mo less now than before.

Also, unless Google decides to put out a CDMA version of a Nexus device, you are never going to see a Nexus on Sprint or Verizon.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Back on topic,

can the n5 be bought from the google store and use csim?

rather have a true nexus that a bs nexus sprint phone that isnt a true nexus

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
There are, financially, such better options out there than Sprint. Two that immediately come to mind are T-Mobile themselves ($30/mo plan) and Straight Talk, which accommodates both CDMA and GSM service and gives you everything you are getting from Sprint, but unlimited, for $45/mo.

I left Sprint for T-Mo, and I didn't even care about the ETF because I have long-since gotten back all that money and more by spending $50/mo less now than before.

Also, unless Google decides to put out a CDMA version of a Nexus device, you are never going to see a Nexus on Sprint or Verizon.

Agreed....which is why I let go of 2 SERO accounts and don't regret it. They just lit up LTE even though it was rumored to be here last Sept. Nothing like a nice year late, its basically the Sprint way. I'm paying a lot less for a lot more with T-Mo atm and am debating going to ST with AT&T for the LTE once this comes out.

Back on topic,

can the n5 be bought from the google store and use csim?

rather have a true nexus that a bs nexus sprint phone that isnt a true nexus

Maybe, this probably is not up to Google. CDMA is locked down so in theory Sprint can restrict it on their network. Whether they will or not is a different story.

Edit - Since it seems like the Sprint version won't be changed at all(With no carrier branding also)then my guess would be that it's the same phone so there shouldn't be a restriction.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Maybe, this probably is not up to Google. CDMA is locked down so in theory Sprint can restrict it on their network. Whether they will or not is a different story.

Edit - Since it seems like the Sprint version won't be changed at all(With no carrier branding also)then my guess would be that it's the same phone so there shouldn't be a restriction.

how do you know?

I would love for sprint to switch to csim/uicc as they did with iphone 5s/5c

rather buy the damn phone off google and do whatever the hell i want with it than be locked down with sprint like my old galaxy nexus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress