Google Nexus 5 - I'm throwing the dice!

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've been holding off on selling my HTC One hoping for a launch of the Nexus 5. But, someone has made me an offer I cannot refuse, so I am selling my HTC for the money to buy a Nexus 5. I hope I don't regret this!

xRodo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
It could be another month before you actually get your hands on an N5, so make sure you have a backup phone to use during the in-between period.

EDIT: BTW, I did this, sold my N4 about 6 weeks ago, thinking I'd try the Moto X for a couple of weeks then grab an N5. Turns out, I've been stuck with the Moto X since then, and it is a piece of crap. To top it off, my screen cracked from the steam in my shower, so now my Moto X that I bought at $480 is worth about $250-300. I learned my lesson, and I won't get rid of my N5 until I have the 2014 Nexus in hand.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It could be another month before you actually get your hands on an N5, so make sure you have a backup phone to use during the in-between period.

EDIT: BTW, I did this, sold my N4 about 6 weeks ago, thinking I'd try the Moto X for a couple of weeks then grab an N5. Turns out, I've been stuck with the Moto X since then, and it is a piece of crap. To top it off, my screen cracked from the steam in my shower, so now my Moto X that I bought at $480 is worth about $250-300. I learned my lesson, and I won't get rid of my N5 until I have the 2014 Nexus in hand.

Well that sucks to hear.
I'm curious as to why you say the Moto X is no good though? I've bounced through a lot of phones (One, N4, G2...) and Moto X is the clear favorite.

Posted via Android Central App

xRodo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well that sucks to hear.
I'm curious as to why you say the Moto X is no good though? I've bounced through a lot of phones (One, N4, G2...) and Moto X is the clear favorite.

Posted via Android Central App

I have 100 reasons, but every time I post them, I just get bashed about how it's all user error and blah blah. Some people have even told me my device is defective because that's the only explanation for why I don't like it. Apparently it's user error that my phone lags, and it's user error that the OTA update broke nav bar transparency, and it's user error that the S-AMOLED screen looks cheap. I just find the phone to be cheap looking, cheaply made, underperforming, very overpriced, and utterly disappointing. My biggest complaint is that the screen cracked while sitting on my bathroom counter while I took a 5 minute shower with the door open. Happened first time. I've done this 100 times with dozens of other phones and tablets with the door open and shut, and some of those showers have been like 15 minutes, and never had any problems. I also find the on-screen nav buttons harder to use than the N4 due to Moto's choice of having more bezel at the top instead of the bottom. That's a major draw to the N5 for me--that the bigger bezel is at the bottom, with a much slimmer bezel at the top. I haven't actually held the N5 in my hand, but from the looks of it, it will fix that problem. Also, the Moto X is still stuck on 4.2 while 4.4 is due out any day now. Verizon's Samsung GS4 got the update before even the unlocked Moto X. No excuse for this thing to not be running on 4.3 w/ a 4.4 update within a couple of months after KitKat's release. The OTA update that just rolled out broke root (I had to use PwnMyMoto b/c I'm on AT&T), but the camera still sucks, so it created a major problem for me rather than fixing one. I could spend hours telling you how disappointed I am in the Moto X. I feel as disappointed as if I had bought an iPhone 5c.

edit: I mean the GS4 got the 4.3 update, not 4.4.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have 100 reasons, but every time I post them, I just get bashed about how it's all user error and blah blah. Some people have even told me my device is defective because that's the only explanation for why I don't like it. Apparently it's user error that my phone lags, and it's user error that the OTA update broke nav bar transparency, and it's user error that the S-AMOLED screen looks cheap. I just find the phone to be cheap looking, cheaply made, underperforming, very overpriced, and utterly disappointing. My biggest complaint is that the screen cracked while sitting on my bathroom counter while I took a 5 minute shower with the door open. Happened first time. I've done this 100 times with dozens of other phones and tablets with the door open and shut, and some of those showers have been like 15 minutes, and never had any problems. I also find the on-screen nav buttons harder to use than the N4 due to Moto's choice of having more bezel at the top instead of the bottom. That's a major draw to the N5 for me--that the bigger bezel is at the bottom, with a much slimmer bezel at the top. I haven't actually held the N5 in my hand, but from the looks of it, it will fix that problem. Also, the Moto X is still stuck on 4.2 while 4.4 is due out any day now. Verizon's Samsung GS4 got the update before even the unlocked Moto X. No excuse for this thing to not be running on 4.3 w/ a 4.4 update within a couple of months after KitKat's release. The OTA update that just rolled out broke root (I had to use PwnMyMoto b/c I'm on AT&T), but the camera still sucks, so it created a major problem for me rather than fixing one. I could spend hours telling you how disappointed I am in the Moto X. I feel as disappointed as if I had bought an iPhone 5c.

It does seem like a few of the things are isolated issues, but no doubt you are entitled to your opinion of the device.
Having owned the latest and greatest I can easily say that this is on par, if not better, when it comes to performance. Lag is just hard to come by for me, and when it is there it is because of Android itself and not the device.
And the whole screen cracking thing is odd... I listen to music through the speakers while taking a shower in my tiny little bathroom (with door closed) and have never had an issue... (not sure how steam could even cause a gorilla glass screen to crack honestly?).
Feel of the device is definitely a subjective thing, but to me it is just as solid and premium as my old HTC One.

No excuses with the lack of upgrade to 4.3 though. I have a feeling that Motorola is just skipping it to upgrade straight to 4.4.
I love the device, but I will not hesitate to purchase my N5 though.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've been holding off on selling my HTC One hoping for a launch of the Nexus 5. But, someone has made me an offer I cannot refuse, so I am selling my HTC for the money to buy a Nexus 5. I hope I don't regret this!

I'm on my 3rd "interim" phone while I've been waiting for the N5. :) eBay & CL listings for the current one are "locked & loaded"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

xRodo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
It does seem like a few of the things are isolated issues, but no doubt you are entitled to your opinion of the device.
Having owned the latest and greatest I can easily say that this is on par, if not better, when it comes to performance. Lag is just hard to come by for me, and when it is there it is because of Android itself and not the device.
And the whole screen cracking thing is odd... I listen to music through the speakers while taking a shower in my tiny little bathroom (with door closed) and have never had an issue... (not sure how steam could even cause a gorilla glass screen to crack honestly?).
Feel of the device is definitely a subjective thing, but to me it is just as solid and premium as my old HTC One.

No excuses with the lack of upgrade to 4.3 though. I have a feeling that Motorola is just skipping it to upgrade straight to 4.4.
I love the device, but I will not hesitate to purchase my N5 though.

My phone lags all the time. About once every other day, I turn my phone on, and all it shows is the nav bar, status bar, and background. After turning the screen on and off a couple of times, I get a Nova Launcher crash notification, and Nova restarts and it fixes. That's frustrating.
How steam can make gorilla glass crack, I have no idea. I'm just reporting what happened.
Because I bought it on Swappa, Moto has refused to do anything except either charge me $175 to fix the screen OR send it back without fixing if they decide the crack is "water damage."
I think it could be a 4.2 --> 4.4 update, like GS3 went 4.1 --> 4.3, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm ditching this thing the second my N5 arrives.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Regardless of whether or not you like or want to keep the moto X, I think you should at least try to get a warranty replacement. The screen cracking doesn't sound like it is your fault. They may or may not give you one (they might think you dropped it and are just lying) but it is worth a shot.

Edit: Sorry just saw your latest post. It might be worth it to send it to them anyway. If the water damage indicator did not get too wet (from the steam) you will be in luck. If not and they charge you $175, it will sell for more on ebay so the cost to you wont be as much.

xRodo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of whether or not you like or want to keep the moto X, I think you should at least try to get a warranty replacement. The screen cracking doesn't sound like it is your fault. They may or may not give you one (they might think you dropped it and are just lying) but it is worth a shot.

Edit: Sorry just saw your latest post. It might be worth it to send it to them anyway. If the water damage indicator did not get too wet (from the steam) you will be in luck. If not and they charge you $175, it will sell for more on ebay so the cost to you wont be as much.

I think you misunderstood. If the water-damage indicator is not too wet, they will replace my screen AND charge me $175. If they determine that there is water damage (which there isn't, nothing changed except the glass cracked), they will not fix it and just ship it back to me. I've talked to multiple Moto reps now. They are basically just saying this isn't their fault, and if I want relief, I have to go to either Swappa, my credit card company, or the seller I bought it from. The problem is that it IS Moto's fault, and it is NOT Swappa, AmEx, or the seller who are to blame. They put out a piece of crap, the piece of crap broke when it wasn't supposed to, and now they say it's my fault for buying the piece of crap. It is my fault for buying a piece of crap, that is why I will NEVER buy Motorola products again.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think you misunderstood. If the water-damage indicator is not too wet, they will replace my screen AND charge me $175. If they determine that there is water damage (which there isn't, nothing changed except the glass cracked), they will not fix it and just ship it back to me. I've talked to multiple Moto reps now. They are basically just saying this isn't their fault, and if I want relief, I have to go to either Swappa, my credit card company, or the seller I bought it from. The problem is that it IS Moto's fault, and it is NOT Swappa, AmEx, or the seller who are to blame. They put out a piece of crap, the piece of crap broke when it wasn't supposed to, and now they say it's my fault for buying the piece of crap. It is my fault for buying a piece of crap, that is why I will NEVER buy Motorola products again.
Man that stinks. Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't agree that the X is a piece of crap. Sounds like you got a lemon. The lack of customer service is very disappointing though.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

It just seems like you have WAY too many issues all at once... I've never used Swappa before, but if it's like eBay is it possible that you just got a bad knockoff... or some kind of horribly defective phone? Maybe the seller got it from the reject bin or something? It doesn't seem like user error from everything you've said, but just a bunch of physical issues that you'd think QC would find out at the factory.
Also the phone hasn't been out that long so shouldn't it still be under warranty? One year isn't it?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I'm not defending Moto's decision, however this is pretty much standard practice, and why it's always better to buy directly from the manufacturer or an authorized vendor with an established warranty policy, such as your carrier, Amazon, Best Buy, etc... Buying a phone through other channels like eBay, Craigslist, Swappa, etc., may seem like a great deal at the time, but just like buying a used car, you often may be buying someone else's problems, and then have no where to turn to get those problems resolved.

I'd also feel obligated to point out that issues such as the ones you describe are quite common following OTA updates (I go on a full rant about how there should be a better delivery method for updates, I'll save that for a different thread), and most of the time they can be fixed with a simple factory reset. Probably a moot point at this time since you're going to getting a new N5 soon, but figured it's worth mentioning if you haven't tried that yet.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

I believe that you were sold a phone with an already cracked screen, although it may not could have been seen. Lag is nonexistent on an X, so it must be something in your apps or root.
As far as Motorola service, I have read horror stories on their repair and return issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo