Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help me decide: Nexus 5 or Moto X?

Greetings all. I need help trying to decide which phone to get. I'm really drawn to the Moto X because of drive assist, touchless controls, and active notifications. I am also drawn to the upcoming N5. I currently have the N4, which was my first Android phone. I must say, after one year of ownership, I am disappointed by the battery life of the N4. After reading ALL of the posts about the N5, I'm afraid the battery life may be the same, especially with the addition of LTE. Battery life is one of my biggest concerns. I am not a hacker or developer, but I do like no bloatware and fast google updates. So what's a guy to do? I am on the 7GB AIO plan and will buy the 32 GB N5 or the 32 GB Moto X outright. The price difference is not an issue. I mainly use my phone for texting, facebook, reading news, and voice calling. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    William

Global Posts
    6,644 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Help me decide - N5 or Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by chiefandrews View Post
    Greetings all. I need help trying to decide which phone to get. I'm really drawn to the Moto X because of drive assist, touchless controls, and active notifications. I am also drawn to the upcoming N5. I currently have the N4, which was my first Android phone. I must say, after one year of ownership, I am disappointed by the battery life of the N4. After reading ALL of the posts about the N5, I'm afraid the battery life may be the same, especially with the addition of LTE. Battery life is one of my biggest concerns. I am not a hacker or developer, but I do like no bloatware and fast google updates. So what's a guy to do? I am on the 7GB AIO plan and will buy the 32 GB N5 or the 32 GB Moto X outright. The price difference is not an issue. I mainly use my phone for texting, facebook, reading news, and voice calling. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    William
    Battery: Moto X
    Screen: N5
    Form factor: Moto X
    Updates/Support: N5
    Features: Moto X
    Camera: Yet to be seen but I'm going to say N5
    Voice calling: Moto X (3 mics)
    My 2 cents
    weksa likes this.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

If battery life is your biggest determining factor then you may have to wait for the N5 to be released so you can see what others are reporting on battery life.

I currently own a Moto X and based upon my daily use I get very good battery life. I am also intrigued by the N5 and may eventually pick one up if the base price is $350 but want to see what others report about the battery.

ROM
    CM9 RC1

Here's my thoughts: the N5 has the hardware specs (unless we're getting trolled so hard that Rick Astley would do a double take) and the guaranteed updates/community support to make it last for quite a while. However I'm curious to see what is revealed software wise during the launch; the Moto X has fantastic software features that are hard to beat with just specs.

I myself am debating the two phones but, if there is no new software innovations like the kind the Moto X brings to the table I may have to forgo the draw of "omg specs!" and pay a little more for some truly game changing software features. Again just my opinion but, I think the X made its point that specs are not the end-all-be-all of a phone.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS Leak

The Moto X is a piece of crap. I have one right now. I will be getting the Nexus 5 immediately and scrapping this abortion of a flagship.

ROM
    CM9 RC1

Quote Originally Posted by xRodo View Post
    The Moto X is a piece of crap. I have one right now. I will be getting the Nexus 5 immediately and scrapping this abortion of a flagship.
    What about it is a piece of crap? I understand each users experience varies but what made you hate it so passionatly?

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS Leak

Quote Originally Posted by GeekGie View Post
    What about it is a piece of crap? I understand each users experience varies but what made you hate it so passionatly?
    Google Nexus 5 - I'm throwing the dice!

That's two posts where I've discussed it. Had lots of problems with it. I've also posted on XDA under Paddington about this in the Moto X forum and in other threads on here.

Global Posts
    6,644 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

That's two posts where I've discussed it. Had lots of problems with it. I've also posted on XDA under Paddington about this in the Moto X forum and in other threads on here.
    Doesn't sound like the phone is a piece of crap, just sounds like yours was one of the bad ones in a batch. The screen cracking is weird, maybe you were in a hot bathroom and when you left the room the temperature difference caused it to crack? Not your fault but it's been known to happen. The lag and broken nav bar tell me that your phone is defective :\
    Really sucks that it happened to you but you're just one of millions, not many people seem to be having any of these issues so it's not that the Moto X in general is crap, it's that YOUR Moto X is crap.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,851 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chiefandrews View Post

Thanks!
    William
    I'd wait until the Nexus 5 is actually announced to make a decision.

What's your definition of bloatware? Are you referring to carrier bloatware? OEM bloatware? There is a difference.

And re: fast Google updates - my Moto X is on Android 4.2.2. The things I'd want in Android 4.3 are Bluetooth LE support and TRIM. But Motorola already put those in their build of 4.2.2.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    weksa likes this.

Global Posts
    6,644 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

^^^ +1 ^^^

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS Leak

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Doesn't sound like the phone is a piece of crap, just sounds like yours was one of the bad ones in a batch. The screen cracking is weird, maybe you were in a hot bathroom and when you left the room the temperature difference caused it to crack? Not your fault but it's been known to happen. The lag and broken nav bar tell me that your phone is defective :\
    Really sucks that it happened to you but you're just one of millions, not many people seem to be having any of these issues so it's not that the Moto X in general is crap, it's that YOUR Moto X is crap.
    The screen cracking has never happened to any of my other devices in the same or worse conditions.
    The broken nav bar is due to the camera update. The camera update broke root, closed the PwnMyMoto exploit, and broke nav bar transparency for third party launchers. That is true for everyone, not just me. I almost think it was a conspiracy to break root and close the exploit, because there is no saving this horrible camera without new hardware.
    I don't think my phone is defective. I've seen lemon phones. My mom had a lemon GS3, and she had REAL problems. Her phone would lag to the point it couldn't be used, her touch screen would become unresponsive for long periods of time, her colors would mess up, etc. I'm pretty sure I just really dislike the Moto X. I may be one of the only ones to dislike it, but I do dislike it, and I feel like it's my duty to share my side. After the way Moto Support has treated me, I will discourage every person considering the Moto X from buying it.

ROM
    CM9 RC1

Damn, those are some crappy issues. Even though you bought it through Swappa it's less than 3 months old, I'd think Motorola would still accept the warranty regardless of where you bought it; it's sad they won't.

That's what I'm waiting on the N5 announcement for, I'd like more than just great specs, some software innovation along the lines of Touchless Controls with the specs would make the N5 a no-brainer. If it's just specs though...it'll be a tougher decision.

Global Posts
    6,644 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

The screen cracking has never happened to any of my other devices in the same or worse conditions.
    The broken nav bar is due to the camera update. The camera update broke root, closed the PwnMyMoto exploit, and broke nav bar transparency for third party launchers. That is true for everyone, not just me. I almost think it was a conspiracy to break root and close the exploit, because there is no saving this horrible camera without new hardware.
    I don't think my phone is defective. I've seen lemon phones. My mom had a lemon GS3, and she had REAL problems. Her phone would lag to the point it couldn't be used, her touch screen would become unresponsive for long periods of time, her colors would mess up, etc. I'm pretty sure I just really dislike the Moto X. I may be one of the only ones to dislike it, but I do dislike it, and I feel like it's my duty to share my side. After the way Moto Support has treated me, I will discourage every person considering the Moto X from buying it.
    So just because you had a bad experience you're going to prevent everyone else from trying this phone out? The camera update actually improved the pics a lot, the rooting isn't for everyone but I'm sure they'll find a way to do it again soon.

Just want to point out:

That little OTA update that you took didn't break root if your actually took the time to read XDA and find out that you could preserve root during the OTA update process.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry and weksa like this.

I just got the customized Moto X. For the most part I like it alot. The battery life is truly something. Mine is on bluetooth all day so I can sync with my work truck and I still have over 50% battery life when I get home with pretty heavy calling. I haven't even charged it during the day yet. The texting is fine and the thing fits in my shirt pocket perfectly yet still has a bigger brighter screen that is more pleasant to look at than what I am used to on the Iphone 4's. Browsing the web is the only place I find less smooth than it was with the iphones. To me it's not quite as refined an experience but nothing wrong with it just take me awhile to get used to. I don't really care about updates or carrier apps but battery life is very important to me I can't be stuck out in the field with a dead battery and I don't want to have to carry a giant phone to get it done so the Moto X is working just fine for me. It is the first phone I have had where I don't have to shut off bluetooth every chance I get to conserve battery. In fact I haven't turned it off yet.
    weksa likes this.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Trojann2 View Post
    Just want to point out:

That little OTA update that you took didn't break root if your actually took the time to read XDA and find out that you could preserve root during the OTA update process.
    That guide was posted days after I received the update. I took the update when it came to my phone, before anyone knew it would break root. I was actually on XDA when someone first reported it about an hour after I took the update. Fortunately I was only down for about 6 hours before someone pointed me toward RSDLite to recover my phone. The guide on how to preserve root and everything came days later.

So just because you had a bad experience you're going to prevent everyone else from trying this phone out? The camera update actually improved the pics a lot, the rooting isn't for everyone but I'm sure they'll find a way to do it again soon.
    Yes. Just like people post positive reviews, I am posting a negative review. I point to several specific things here, and I have pointed out much more in threads on XDA. I'm not just trolling and ragging on the phone; I have had a legitimately bad experience with it, and I am telling people about it when they ask.

Global Posts
    6,644 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

That guide was posted days after I received the update. I took the update when it came to my phone, before anyone knew it would break root. I was actually on XDA when someone first reported it about an hour after I took the update. Fortunately I was only down for about 6 hours before someone pointed me toward RSDLite to recover my phone. The guide on how to preserve root and everything came days later.

Yes. Just like people post positive reviews, I am posting a negative review. I point to several specific things here, and I have pointed out much more in threads on XDA. I'm not just trolling and ragging on the phone; I have had a legitimately bad experience with it, and I am telling people about it when they ask.
    Yes but you're making it seem like you're going to tell them everything bad that happened to you and your phone, that's going to make them think the Moto X is just a bad phone in general when really it is one of the best phones available at the moment.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS Leak

Yes but you're making it seem like you're going to tell them everything bad that happened to you and your phone, that's going to make them think the Moto X is just a bad phone in general when really it is one of the best phones available at the moment.
    They should think it is a bad phone. I don't think my phone is defective; I think the Moto X is a bad phone. This is like politics: some people love Obama, some people don't. Some people love the Moto X, I don't. I think the GS4 is better.
    ScottsoNJ likes this.

They should think it is a bad phone. I don't think my phone is defective; I think the Moto X is a bad phone. This is like politics: some people love Obama, some people don't. Some people love the Moto X, I don't. I think the GS4 is better.
    Lay off the crack !!!!!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

I don't. I think the note 3 is the only decent phone Samsung made since they started making smartphones

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Ry and ki11ak3nn like this.

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Quote Originally Posted by Rule9 View Post
    I don't. I think the note 3 is the only decent phone Samsung made since they started making smartphones

I agree. I'm loving my Note 3. Haven't been fan of the Galaxy S Series.

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by Rule9 View Post

I think the Galaxy Nexus is a great phone...and the Galaxy S2 was pretty good also. No complaints at all...
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

Battery: Moto X
    Screen: N5
    Form factor: Moto X
    Updates/Support: N5
    Features: Moto X
    Camera: Yet to be seen but I'm going to say N5
    Voice calling: Moto X (3 mics)
    My 2 cents
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade but how do you know that the Moto X has better features?

Global Posts
    6,644 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsoNJ View Post
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade but how do you know that the Moto X has better features?
    Just guessing, Nexus 4 didn't have any special features that made it stand out from the rest. Not saying all of that is 100% true, just preliminary thoughts

Global Posts
    6,644 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

So do I, but the Moto X isn't a bad phone by any means. Not liking something isn't the same as it being bad (See: iPhone)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast