Seems even the Fruity folk got it right and my wife got the time zone wrong!!! lol

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Apple informing employees that Google have an 8am PST event today

This is my entire conversation on the matter and exactly what i was told, so take this as you will

11am Google event <<her

where does it say that <<<me

On our apple stuff <<<her

hmmm its rumored for 11am launch on the website no word on an event <<< me

We have a bullet event that says Google event at 11am today <<< her

nice <<< me
9:18 am
Could be wrong I guess they just give us silly events like that <<< her
Its ultimately up to Google <<< her

Its just to stay informed on what the competition is doing, Its a great business practice and most successful businesses are aware if when things are happening with competitors. Thanks for the info.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

This whole thing reminds me of the Galaxy Nexus launch. The same excitement, rumors, and guessing. This is even more hyped because of all the leaks. At least when the gnex stuff was going on, we have a event and knew about the device. I'm started to doubt it's happening today, the more I think about it. I hope I'm wrong and will gladly eat crow because I'll be happy the phone had arrived but, I'm not holding my breath. This is all too familiar.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

This whole thing reminds me of the Galaxy Nexus launch. The same excitement, rumors, and guessing. This is even more hyped because of all the leaks. At least when the gnex stuff was going on, we have a event and knew about the device. I'm started to doubt it's happening today, the more I think about it. I hope I'm wrong and will gladly eat crow because I'll be happy the phone had arrived but, I'm not holding my breath. This is all too familiar.

im starting to doubt it also, but ive also just been told by event it could mean the release of new hardware or website update, either way though the fruity company still believe something is happening

EitV

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

The main unlocked smartphone seller website of my country (in Europe) annouced they will be selling N5 next week. And we had to wait like 3 months to get N4 since it was announced. So that's good news huh.

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Totally understand that, and if it is wrong ill never take what they say again as any kind of fact, im just as eager for this thing as anyone else and ill be as gutted as anyone else if this doesnt happen, had the money in the bank for weeks now waiting lol

Thanks for sharing. It makes perfect sense for them to inform their employees about what their biggest competitor does.

tbonepat11

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Rumors of Amazon having it today at 11 are floating around as well. Either way I will be hitting F5 ready to roll at 11am just in case hehe.

TheDoctor 46

May 31, 2012
Visit site

Any one consider that maybe Apple is simply replying in response to the original source that we all heard it from. Maybe they scan android boards for inside info too?

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Any one consider that maybe Apple is simply replying in response to the original source that we all heard it from. Maybe they scan android boards for inside info too?

Maybe.... like i said, just passing it on, if it doesnt happen then the fruity bunch was taking a wild guess like the rest of us

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Well FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!! i know its still early but i dont see it happening now, maybe at 12pm, cant believe the fruity folk thought this was happening and its not :(

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Well FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!! i know its still early but i dont see it happening now, maybe at 12pm, cant believe the fruity folk thought this was happening and its not :(

I think they may be getting the information just like us. The reason I didn't think it would happen is because it's unusual that we have heard nothing from Google yet it's supposed to launch today.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Just been informed Google have an 11am EST event today, from an Apple employee

So that they can anticipate calls from a bunch of angry iphone users demanding their money back?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Since Google lives in PST and apparently they're not doing a huge live event, is there any reason to think it wouldn't be a PST event?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I don't understand the question.

The OP said 8AM or 11AM Eastern time. I'm wondering why it wouldn't be Pacific time, with Mountain View being in California.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Apple had it down that at 8am PST/11am EST would be an event by Google, to be honest i found the 8am thing strange as it was very early, im still holding out hope of an announcement today

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

The OP said 8AM or 11AM Eastern time. I'm wondering why it wouldn't be Pacific time, with Mountain View being in California.

Well technically 8am is a Pacific time. But it was rumored yest to be launching at 8am and thats probably where Apple got it. It sure was an odd time though, not too sure where someone came up with that number tbh.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

First off, I am getting the N5. No, I'm not trolling.

1. I'm not sure why the N5 would be a big deal for Apple or other manufacturers. With IOS and Android seemingly locked in a 1-2 battle, recent surveys have shown a loyalty and a reluctance to change ecosystems. The fruit folks will likely stay fruity, Android is keeping theirs, and they both are adding the dwindling numbers of BB, Symbian, Palm, and feature phone folks.
  2. The N5 will likely sell more than previous Nexus devices, but it will not threaten the manufacturer's own phones. Samsung (et al.) and the carriers live on the markup, so most of the hype and marketing will continue to be dedicated to those phones. The cariers also want to have something on their phone that the other carriers do not. The number of geeks like us that want a pure Android experience is growing, but it will still be a smaller subset of consumers.
  3. KitKat is the real game changer. If the reports are true, that KitKat will work on older low memory devices, this could be the start of some OS consistency on Android. Lessening the "F" word. Carriers and manufacturers still have to update the phones, but technical limitations seem to be minimized with KK. Until the recent IOS7 update, fruity folks loved the fact that no matter whatever iSomething that they had, the OS looked and worked the same on all of them. KK will not force new phones to look/work the same, but hopefully, it could be the start of a trend for skins being more app-like rather than deep integrations. Thus, allowing quicker updated for non-Nexus phones. It seems that that is the direction that Google has been moving with Android with the moving of core programs out of the OS and into the Play Store.
No hating, please... I basically needed something to do while I wait for another hour, or so, until the N5 is revealed. :D

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I agree with all of your post, the only thing i will say is, i dont think Apple are concerned about the N5, i think its like others say, knowing what your competition is upto, no matter what they are still competition, im involved in medical and 3d drawings, we get bulletins all the time regarding what our competition is upto, does it affect us? nope but out head cheese folk like to know whats coming, and trust me.... ive been sat behind my desk at work since 8am F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 lol, my boss thinks im nuts, told him i aint going nowhere until i get one ordered lol

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Just been informed Google have an 11am EST event today, from an Apple employee

why would Apple inform their employees of an Android event?

Why would they want to hold back and waste time?
Devs have to get busy copying features and lawyers have to look for new items to sue over.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1