1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T sim card?

So, if I buy a Nexus 5 off contract, will it be as simple as popping in the sim card from my HTC One or will I have to beg AT&T for permission to use the phone on their network? Also, since AT&T has been blocking any tethering app from working on the One I got from them, will they work on the N5 I get from the Play Store off contract?

Default Re: AT&T sim card?

I don't have an answer about the tethering app, but activating it on AT&T is as simple as inserting your SIM card.

Quote Originally Posted by RicKaysen View Post
    So, if I buy a Nexus 5 off contract, will it be as simple as popping in the sim card from my HTC One or will I have to beg AT&T for permission to use the phone on their network? Also, since AT&T has been blocking any tethering app from working on the One I got from them, will they work on the N5 I get from the Play Store off contract?
    Just pop in the SIM and you don't need app to tether, it's built into the Nexus menu.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Nexus devices should be able to tether by default.

As long as the N5 has the correct radios you should be able to pop in the sim card and away to go.

I'm grandfathered in on the "unlimited" data plan with AT&T from back in 2007 when I bought the original iPhone. When I switched from iPhone over to Android (about a year ago with the N4) I went and got a new sim from AT&T and have been using tethering for free with my unlimited data since then. I switched that sim from the N4 over to my GS4 GPE and continued using the tether. To this day I have not been charged, and I use about 1.5 gigs of tethering a month. I assume switching my sim over to the N5 will be the same.

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

Any idea what SIM the N5 will need? (Micro or Nano?)

I saw T-Mo is offering free SIMS and wanted to grab one.

According to the leaks and the guy on Reddit, the Nexus 5 will take the micro sim size.

Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post

Probably micro. I doubt any manufacturer other than Apple will be using nano sim until mid to late 2014. Of course, Google could always surprise us.

I would say nano SIM. So you would need to get one from ATT and activate it and everything is fine. I have used several nexus devices on ATT.

You can tether but ATT still knows. If you do it too much, they will sent you a notice.

Sent from my Moto X!
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post

Most likely Micro but imo grab a SIM cutter and since they're free just get them both.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Probably micro. I doubt any manufacturer other than Apple will be using nano sim until mid to late 2014. Of course, Google could always surprise us.
    My moto x has a nano SIM and correct me if I am wrong but so does the G2. Most of the new sealed phones are coming with a nano SIM.

Sent from my Moto X!
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    My moto x has a nano SIM and correct me if I am wrong but so does the G2. Most of the new sealed phones are coming with a nano SIM.

Sent from my Moto X!
    I stand corrected. Maybe it will use a nano SIM. I wasn't aware the X and G2 did.

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Someone on Reddit who had a Nexus 5 confirmed that it uses a Micro SIM.

Micro SIM which matches the sister phone LG G2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Micro SIM which matches the sister phone LG G2.
    I stand corrected on the G2. I have my adapter ready!

Sent from my Moto X!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Thanks to all for the great info. I was grandfathered in with an unlimited data plan for years with VZW, but had to give it up when I moved to my apartment in Manhattan and had no signal at all. Switching to AT&T, I'm on a 3gb plan, but still only use about half that per month with my typical surfing habits, so I don't think AT&T will get their panties in a bunch over my usage.

Quote Originally Posted by RicKaysen View Post
    Thanks to all for the great info. I was grandfathered in with an unlimited data plan for years with VZW, but had to give it up when I moved to my apartment in Manhattan and had no signal at all. Switching to AT&T, I'm on a 3gb plan, but still only use about half that per month with my typical surfing habits, so I don't think AT&T will get their panties in a bunch over my usage.
    i'm surprised that Verizon coverage was poor in Manhattan vs. AT&T. i'm happy to hear it though as i will be switching to AT&T.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i'm surprised that Verizon coverage was poor in Manhattan vs. AT&T. i'm happy to hear it though as i will be switching to AT&T.
    Generally coverage was great...with the exception of my apartment. Went back and forth with VZW tech for a month before I finally gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cortez View Post
    I'm grandfathered in on the "unlimited" data plan with AT&T from back in 2007 when I bought the original iPhone. When I switched from iPhone over to Android (about a year ago with the N4) I went and got a new sim from AT&T and have been using tethering for free with my unlimited data since then. I switched that sim from the N4 over to my GS4 GPE and continued using the tether. To this day I have not been charged, and I use about 1.5 gigs of tethering a month. I assume switching my sim over to the N5 will be the same.
    Public forum, real name, smh
    More power to you, bro

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    Public forum, real name, smh
    More power to you, bro

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Never found it necessary to use a nickname since I use good internet etiquette and rarely store NSA files on my computer.