Nexus 5: First Impressions & Reviews

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 First Impressions & Reviews

One thing i havent been able to do is put widgets on my lockscreen. Is this something we cant do on Kitkat?

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, I think I know what you mean.

I love holding my Nexus 5 too, even though I use it mostly 2 handed. At first it felt weird and now I'd rather hold it than my other phone. :D

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

I have a Spigen slim armor case on mine.
nx5_case_slim_armor-smooth_black02.jpg

Attachments

• nx5_case_slim_armor-smooth_black02.jpg
    nx5_case_slim_armor-smooth_black02.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 60

hell911

May 5, 2012
Visit site

the power button is moving up and down, like very few mm's, i feel like i can break it anytime. :-\

the phone is very light, coming from s2 skyrocket.

at first i was worried about 5 inch display phones, coz of "being too big" in size, but it turned out to fit in my hands perfectly.
-----------------------
will post more.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

The alarm on this phone isnt as good as my GS3. I mean it works but default gives you two. One with Monday thru Friday and another with Sat & Sun. Well on the 2nd one i took off Sat & Sun and was going to add Monday thru Friday again to have a second alarm but now all the days are just gone and i dont know how to get them back.

I dont like hitting the snooze on a phone. Just like it to run a couple of noise cycles that last about 30 seconds and then the second alarm will sound how i have it set to go off again. This will be different having to hit a snooze button since the soonest it will stop making noise is 5 minutes.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

One thing i havent been able to do is put widgets on my lockscreen. Is this something we cant do on Kitkat?

Go into settings and then into security. You'll see a box to enable widgets.

The widgets are different from what they are like on the S3.

For alarms, try alarm clock xtreme.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

hell911

May 5, 2012
Visit site

N5 is so light, coming from from S2 skyrocket..

i feel like i can drop it anytime. :'(

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I did like the glass back too. After a couple charges with the Nexus 5, I've noticed that i can get about 4-5 hours of on screen time (facebook, chrome, twitter, texting), which is way more than the 2-3 (anything over 3 was a great day) on screen time on the 4.

N5 has a better battery than N4, but N4 is not as sad as you listed, it can go 4 hrs for many people.

@T-Mobile GN3

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

8 hr stand by consume 24%? How did you use it?

@T-Mobile GN3

Very little. It was Thanksgiving. Couple pictures while out hiking in the woods with the family. Then just in the pocket...

TougeSpirit

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

On my first charge today. Got 1 day and 6 hours with 5 hours and 10 minutes of on screen time. 35% screen, 8% idle. Still have 12% battery left. Google now on, location on, screen dimmed down, heavy use on wifi (honeymoon period, lol).

If it gets better than this after more charges and 4.4.1 update, I will be beyond ecstatic as it is already way above expectations

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

On my first charge today. Got 1 day and 6 hours with 5 hours and 10 minutes of on screen time. 35% screen, 8% idle. Still have 12% battery left. Google now on, location on, screen dimmed down, heavy use on wifi (honeymoon period, lol).

If it gets better than this after more charges and 4.4.1 update, I will be beyond ecstatic as it is already way above expectations

Id be estatic with that. I cant imagine it getting better. My best is 16 and half hours with only 2 hours of on screen time.

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm blown away with how bright this screen is. I run the screen at 10% brightness at all times, except when I'm outside when I put it on auto brightness. GREAT screen!!

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

The alarm on this phone isnt as good as my GS3. I mean it works but default gives you two. One with Monday thru Friday and another with Sat & Sun. Well on the 2nd one i took off Sat & Sun and was going to add Monday thru Friday again to have a second alarm but now all the days are just gone and i dont know how to get them back.

I dont like hitting the snooze on a phone. Just like it to run a couple of noise cycles that last about 30 seconds and then the second alarm will sound how i have it set to go off again. This will be different having to hit a snooze button since the soonest it will stop making noise is 5 minutes.

U know there are 3rd party app for alarm?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I'm blown away with how bright this screen is. I run the screen at 10% brightness at all times, except when I'm outside when I put it on auto brightness. GREAT screen!!

agreed, sometimes I bump it up a bit when gaming but otherwise I keep it down around 10%. By comparison, I keep my One at about 65% and my S4 at 85%. It's probably why the battery is so good.

Bruno Ribeiro

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Using my new nexus5 right now

I'm on day on, loving the phone, already updated to 4.4.2 and the camera is fine. Extremely fast. Battery is ok, and it's probably getting better with some time.
Actually, I've had only an issue: heating. Even in normal use or listening to music, there's a notable warm close to the camera, and when it's downloading something or playing games, a noticeble heat is detected by me, not hot as my old S3 was, but it's annoying.
Does someone has the same problem?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I'm on day on, loving the phone, already updated to 4.4.2 and the camera is fine. Extremely fast. Battery is ok, and it's probably getting better with some time.
Actually, I've had only an issue: heating. Even in normal use or listening to music, there's a notable warm close to the camera, and when it's downloading something or playing games, a noticeble heat is detected by me, not hot as my old S3 was, but it's annoying.
Does someone has the same problem?

Yes, I sometimes have that on my Nexus 5 too. It may be due to one of the bugs Google is still working on (4.4.2 did not resolve all of them yet).

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Coming from a Galaxy S4GE, which I had a love-hate relationship with. I wanted a top end pure android device (without rooting), and the S4GE was the closest thing at the time - however, one major issue plagued me, which was the big SD card issue (can read about it somewhere in the S4 forum). I wasn't in love with the Nexus5 when it first came out, but I warmed up to it and eventually bought one on 12/5.

However, the one I received had an issue with the power key, which was loose enough to the point where it rattled. Searching around seemed like this was a "normal" issue, but I wasn't having any of it and promptly returned and received a new one just yesterday. No more loose power key, I think it's the second "wave" of N5s, and 4.4.2 updated basically as soon as I turned the phone on. I switched to the ART runtime, and the phone is very snappy. I'd rather have 32gb than 16 internal 32 external and have to deal with all of the google/sd card bs. The phone is much faster than the S4GE. I think the only area this phone is really lacking in is thickness. It is noticeably thicker than the S4GE. It may be close when comparing the thickest points on both phones, but the actual shape of the N5 is much more brick-like than the S4. Even the Nexus7(2013) is a hair thinner at the thickest point, but the sides also swoop in much more than the N5. However, it's mitigated by the fact that it feels so nice in the hand - better than the S4GE. It's slight advantage in its narrow-ness really makes a difference as far as one hand swiftkeying goes.

I remember seeing the N4 not too long ago and thinking how thick and outdated it looks. I don't think the N5 will necessarily suffer the same fate, except for the fact that it is so thick yet again. I'm willing to put down 700 for a high end Nexus if Google builds one, but for now, somehow, for $399 Google has made the best Android phone period. I have to imagine the next one will be much thinner than this one, so we'll see if it's worth upgrading to at the time.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

Coming from a Galaxy S4GE, which I had a love-hate relationship with. I wanted a top end pure android device (without rooting), and the S4GE was the closest thing at the time - however, one major issue plagued me, which was the big SD card issue (can read about it somewhere in the S4 forum). I wasn't in love with the Nexus5 when it first came out, but I warmed up to it and eventually bought one on 12/5.

However, the one I received had an issue with the power key, which was loose enough to the point where it rattled. Searching around seemed like this was a "normal" issue, but I wasn't having any of it and promptly returned and received a new one just yesterday. No more loose power key, I think it's the second "wave" of N5s, and 4.4.2 updated basically as soon as I turned the phone on. I switched to the ART runtime, and the phone is very snappy. I'd rather have 32gb than 16 internal 32 external and have to deal with all of the google/sd card bs. The phone is much faster than the S4GE. I think the only area this phone is really lacking in is thickness. It is noticeably thicker than the S4GE. It may be close when comparing the thickest points on both phones, but the actual shape of the N5 is much more brick-like than the S4. Even the Nexus7(2013) is a hair thinner at the thickest point, but the sides also swoop in much more than the N5. However, it's mitigated by the fact that it feels so nice in the hand - better than the S4GE. It's slight advantage in its narrow-ness really makes a difference as far as one hand swiftkeying goes.

I remember seeing the N4 not too long ago and thinking how thick and outdated it looks. I don't think the N5 will necessarily suffer the same fate, except for the fact that it is so thick yet again. I'm willing to put down 700 for a high end Nexus if Google builds one, but for now, somehow, for $399 Google has made the best Android phone period. I have to imagine the next one will be much thinner than this one, so we'll see if it's worth upgrading to at the time.

Well we are talking about a half of a mm here which is so small I'm really amazed you are even bothering to mention it. I mean, really? Your N7 is a hair thinner and that's worth mentioning?
I still have my GS3 and when both are laying face down, its so close you can hardly tell that the N5 is a tad thinner.
I use a case and have a Slim Armor case on it so it's not even a slight issue to me. The slim armor case is a lot thinner than the Otter box I had on my GS3, and when they are naked, it still isn't an issue.
I guess everyone has their preferences, I'm just amazed that anyone is stressing about a half a mm.

Message by Nexus 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995