Share your Nexus 5 camera photos, videos, and thoughts!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Can someone tell me if the video mode supports HDR?

That's highly unlikely; HDR for video is significantly more hardware-intensive for video than it is for single photos. To achieve such an effect on a standard (non-RAW) video file, you'd essentially be using an HDR technique similar to Snapseed's recently-announced HDR Scape on each frame of the video.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
All the photos I've seen taken by the Nexus 5 are "squarish." I assume they've got an aspect ratio of 4:3. Is there a setting to change the camera to take pictures in a 16x9 aspect ratio?

flattie

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. I've taken some comparison shots between the N5 and a Nokia Lumia 925. I've gone for some low light shots here to show how the N5 holds up against one of the top low light performers on the market. Both sets of phots were taken using the stock camera app, all settings at auto with the flash turned off. The time of day was dusk. The chair shot had no artificial light source, the t-shirt was in a room with a desk lamp turned on and the garden was illuminated by a security light. I'm no camera expert, and these shots have been resized, so aren't a true reflection of either phones' output; but hopefully they give a reasonable, real-world reference for comparison in low light settings. N5 on the left, L925 on the right.(Or 1st and 2nd respectively, depending on the screen you are reading this on)

xi7t.jpgp9sy.jpg

iq7e.jpg719c.jpg

cdco.jpg8jyc.jpg

Performance under good lighting, to my untrained eye, appears to be comparable, with the L925 being a little better at picking out detail in shaded areas. I'd say the biggest difference comes from the stock apps; The Nokia Camera app is quite frankly in an entirely different league to stock Android 4.4. The features, coupled with granular control over the hardware, are excellent, as is the UI. The Android equivalent; not so much. Still, the overall package is a nice kick-on from the N4 and I reckon it'll serve for most people.

Edit:

I've taken a few close ups of my boys snoozing after our walk this morning, to show what the N5 cam can do in a macro sense. They were taken from around 5/6cm from the subject, indoors, this time using the HDR+ mode. Again, they have been resized, so aren't genuinely accurate, just an indication.

9h0c.jpg

f4fa.jpg

r37c.jpg

Last edited:

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind seeing comparison shots from an n4 and n5. I'm really hoping the new camera is just better than this one!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
As you mentioned the app, or rather the post-processing aspect, makes a large difference.

I would imagine that the purchasable apps in Google Play will make much better use of the OIS and camera lens than Google's stock app.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
dy2avybu.jpg
tarysagu.jpg
tasyqe6e.jpg

Here are some lowlight shots I just took with the N5. Applied the vintage filter to the first two, the third is completely without modification.

I'm insanely pleased with that camera. AF could be faster, but shot-to-shot speed is faster than on my 1020 even with the HDR+ mode on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

rubzykahn

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Can someone test the front facing camera please as mine is quite dark when taking video, but nice and bright when taking still images?
Is this just mine or is there a significant difference when switching between the two? Front facing camera only.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar