"OK Google" Voice Command

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Does this work on any screen? Or even with the screen off?

What I saw on the play store it just said from the home screen so maybe it doesn't have true touch less controls like the Moto X.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
What I saw on the play store it just said from the home screen so maybe it doesn't have true touch less controls like the Moto X.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Earlier today I posted the AMA where the owner was asked about touchless control and all he answered was ":)", the only thing that tells me is yes.

Trojann2

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The Verge did a write up. It's NOT like the Moto X's touchless control. Sorry. Only works with Google Now open or on the Home Screen, and it might only be the Google Launcher homescreen, as well.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
In the announcement, they mention it in the context of the launcher. Because of that and reasons I outline here, I'm going with launcher-only. Whether it's restricted to the homescreen or remains functional when apps are open I can't say.

There's certainly a lack of information out there on some of the KitKat stuff (including the forthcoming improvements to Now).

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The Verge did a write up. It's NOT like the Moto X's touchless control. Sorry. Only works with Google Now open or on the Home Screen, and it might only be the Google Launcher homescreen, as well.

I take it that's only for the US then (or only when US English is selected) because I couldn't even get it to work on my Nexus 4 unless i changed the language.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://plus.google.com/+PaulWilcox/posts/GANAWjSGM32

Paul Wilcox 11:35 AM
+Ryan Yakus Google Now has a dedicated home screen (one swipe to the left). The Nexus 5 also listens for you to say "OK Google Now."

(A caveat on that "always listening" thing -- that feature is disabled if you have lock screen security enabled and you have to unlock the phone before it will listen for your voice.)

Paul Wilcox 2:21 PM
+Seth Axen It's not currently enabled when the screen is off.

+Ajmal Haseeb Yes it does work when you have your screen lock set to None or Slide. It doesn't work when it's set to Pattern, PIN, or Password.

+Seth Axen No, it doesn't work while you're using another app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar