Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Gekko's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,880 Posts

    Default Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

    does the Nexus 5 come with Infrared IR Blaster hardware? i searched and could not find it.
    Ferms_93_2.8T likes this.
  2. Best Answer

    It doesn't look like it. I'm going to miss this from my One. A lot.

  3. #2  

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    does the Nexus 5 come with Infrared IR Blaster hardware? i searched and could not find it.
    Idts. Kinda odd they put support into Kit Kat but its not on the phone. Next year I suppose.
  4. #3  

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    I was hoping it would especially since kitkat adds support for it but I dont see anything to suggest it.
  5. #4  
    Patrick Schroedl's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,698 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,829 Global Posts

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    It doesn't look like it. I'm going to miss this from my One. A lot.
  6. #5  

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    The N5 will still work well to change programs on my TV with my Chromecast device.
  7. #6  

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    I miss walking around bestbuy with my HTC One turning TV's off, especially the ones on the big Samsung displays, childish yes but so much fun, can't remember the apps name but it was great it began with an O

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #7  

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by angry english View Post
    I miss walking around bestbuy with my HTC One turning TV's off, especially the ones on the big Samsung displays, childish yes but so much fun, can't remember the apps name but it was great it began with an O

    Posted via Android Central App
    I'll also miss turning off projectors during lecture. I never actually used it for anything genuinely practical. Just for pranks.
    angry english likes this.
  9. #8  

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    Sorry for the bad news but IR blasters are going the way of CDs. Many of today's home electronics like TVs and Blu-ray players can connect to your local network and can be controlled by both iOS and Android devices like smart phones and tablets. I've been doing it for over 3 years now.
  10. #9  
    Johnly's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,949 Posts
    Carrier
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    Lol at ir blasters going away. Funny! Today's 4k tvs have some awesome ir blasters. I suspect they will be relevant in the next five years as well. Any one heard of the company quirky? many new products will be controlled via the WiFi network and a app. Love it!

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  11. #10  

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    I think TVs will still use IR remotes for a while but smart phones and tablets, and even the iPod Touch will control many home electronics like TVs using the local network. It is not cost effective to put IR blasters on mobile device these days.
  12. #11  

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySoft001 View Post
    Sorry for the bad news but IR blasters are going the way of CDs. Many of today's home electronics like TVs and Blu-ray players can connect to your local network and can be controlled by both iOS and Android devices like smart phones and tablets. I've been doing it for over 3 years now.
    Now that I think of it I can already use my Comcast Xfinity App on my old phone and Nexus 7 to change channels or set the DVR to record shows on my TV via Comcast. It works but the remote is simple so I don't care the Nexus 5 doesn't have the IR Blaster.
  13. #12  

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    This video talks about IR blasters in Kit Kat 4.4.
  14. #13  

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySoft001 View Post
    Sorry for the bad news but IR blasters are going the way of CDs. Many of today's home electronics like TVs and Blu-ray players can connect to your local network and can be controlled by both iOS and Android devices like smart phones and tablets. I've been doing it for over 3 years now.
    They're not going away anytime soon. Especially since almost all cable boxes still use them, as do most TVs.
  15. #14  

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    Lol IR blasters going away...uh huh
  16. #15  

    Default Re: Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

    IR blasters on mobile devices are going the way CDs are going, As someone already pointed out, he uses his smart phone (without an IR blaster) to control his xfinity cable box. I have been using my mobile devices over WiFi to control my TV and blu-ray players for over 3 years now.
  17. #16  
    Johnly's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,949 Posts
    Carrier
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default Re: Infrared IR Blaster on Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    They're not going away anytime soon. Especially since almost all cable boxes still use them, as do most TVs.
    Yup......carefully I choose my words, but those that think ir is gone are getting that information from where?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  18. #17  

    Default Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySoft001 View Post
    IR blasters on mobile devices are going the way CDs are going, As someone already pointed out, he uses his smart phone (without an IR blaster) to control his xfinity cable box. I have been using my mobile devices over WiFi to control my TV and blu-ray players for over 3 years now.
    Riiight. Which would totally explain why every major smartphone includes an IR blaster that their predecessor didn't. It would also explain why most cable boxes have them, and won't be getting rid of them anytime soon. Yup, those got' dang IR blasters are going the way of the dinosaur for sure. /S


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    digink#AC likes this.
  19. #18  

    Default Re: Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

    "every major smartphone"? I don't think so. Not the nexus 4/5. Apple's web site does not list ir blaster for the iPhone 5 S/C. You have an iPhone. Does it have an ir blaster, if so, how old is it?

    By going the way of CDs, I mean still being used by diehards but are being replaced by newer technology.
  20. #19  

    Default Re: Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySoft001 View Post
    "every major smartphone"? I don't think so. Not the nexus 4/5. Apple's web site does not list ir blaster for the iPhone 5 S/C. You have an iPhone. Does it have an ir blaster, if so, how hold is it?

    By going the way of CDs, I mean still being used my diehards but are being replaced by newer technology.
    Your set-top box being hooked into your LAN is not 'replacing' an IR blaster... It is providing you another way to control your device. Imagine your LAN goes down, how will you talk to the set-top box then? An IR blaster being compared to a CD doesn't even remotely make sense since you're comparing apples to oranges.
  21. #20  

    Default Re: Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySoft001 View Post
    "every major smartphone"? I don't think so. Not the nexus 4/5. Apple's web site does not list ir blaster for the iPhone 5 S/C. You have an iPhone. Does it have an ir blaster, if so, how hold is it?

    By going the way of CDs, I mean still being used my diehards but are being replaced by newer technology.
    Somehow I don't think the millions of S4, G2, HTC One, and dozens of different tablets, owners are 'diehards'.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  22. #21  

    Default Re: Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

    JHB, thank you for admitting you were wrong and misleading when you said " every major smartphone includes an IR blaster". Unless you are trying to say the nexus 4/5 and your iPhone are not major smart phones.
  23. #22  

    Default Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeySoft001 View Post
    JHB, thank you for admitting you were wrong and misleading when you said " every major smartphone includes an IR blaster". Unless you are trying to say the nexus 4/5 and your iPhone are not major smart phones.
    I did no such thing. We were discussing android devices, considering we're on an android forum. The nexus is not a major device based on sales alone. Fact is, you are wrong. The number of devices with it blasters is going up, not down.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tippmann15 likes this.
  24. #23  

    Default Re: Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Riiight. Which would totally explain why every major smartphone includes an IR blaster that their predecessor didn't. It would also explain why most cable boxes have them, and won't be getting rid of them anytime soon. Yup, those got' dang IR blasters are going the way of the dinosaur for sure. /S


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please reread your post. You said "every major smartphone". You said nothing about your iPhone not being included. At best your statement is misleading. But is really just plane wrong. And now you are trying to quantify you meaning of "major".
  25. #24  

    Default Re: Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

    So what he meant to say was "a bunch of the best selling lines have just added this feature".

    The precise wording is a quibble. It does seem to be a feature that is making a come back, rather than a feature that is on its way out.

    That surprises me a little. It's not as if ir remotes have recently become more useful. In fact, what with more connected appliances, they are a little less critical than they were 5 years ago. Still, I look forward to having that feature on my next phone. (probably an s4 mini.)
  26. #25  

    Default Re: Infrared blaster on the Nexus 5?

    An IR blaster is a nice extra. It's kind of like your girlfriend bringing over her twin sister just for sexy time.
    You don't miss things you have never had.
    consequence7 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HP Touchpad: Is a 4.4 ROM on the way?
    By sibeans in forum HP Touchpad
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 07:20 PM
  2. Is the GE launcher enough to become your default?
    By ManInTheBox10 in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-19-2013, 04:51 PM
  3. Do you think the Nexus 10 will have an LTE edition?
    By diesteldorf in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 03:01 PM
  4. Nexus 5 price variation!
    By mjesheem in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 01:27 AM
  5. Nexus 5 has shipped
    By Sniper1087 in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions