Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By jteply13
  • 2 Post By JonK
  • 1 Post By Andrew Martonik
  • 2 Post By alexlam24
  • 2 Post By DS1331
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will the Nexus 5 "work" like the Nexus 7 on Verizon

Is there any chance you might be able to pop a Verizon sim in the Nexus 5 and it would work like the Nexus 7?

Default Re: Will the Nexus 5 "work" like the Nexus 7 on Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by sandoff View Post
    Is there any chance you might be able to pop a Verizon sim in the Nexus 5 and it would work like the Nexus 7?
    I don't think the Nexus 5 has the correct band(s) for Verizon

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Verizon REALLY effed this up. I am so pissed that Im Leaving Verizon when my contract is up!! Verizon understand that some of your customers like PURE ANDROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And FIRE the A$$hole that made the decision NOT to get the Nexus 5!!!!!
    Thanked by:
    ki11ak3nn likes this.

It will be available on sprints cdma why would it not work on Verizon ?

Sent from my HTC One

Quote Originally Posted by DS1331 View Post
    It will be available on sprints cdma why would it not work on Verizon ?

Sent from my HTC One
    It will be available on sprint because sprint is allowing it on their network.

Think of verizon as essentially 2 networks, the CDMA 3G network and the LTE 4G network. The N5 has the correct radios to support VZW 3G, but it will not work on VZW's 3G network because that is a locked down network. Verizon simply refuses to activate a phone on the 3G network that they did not sell.

VZW's 4G network is different. The FCC mandates that if a SIM is inserted into a compatible device, VZW cannot deny that device service on the 4G network. They also mandate that VZW cannot change your bill or service just because you insert the SIM into a different device. This is why the trick works with the N7. Even though VZW will refuse to activate a SIM in a device they didnt sell (or "certify"), if you activate it in a device they did sell then switch to another device, they cannot deny you service or change your bill. This will not work for the N5 however because the N5 simply does not support LTE band 13 where VZW's 4G network lives.

Seriously. Stick a fork in the idea of the N5 on VZW right now. Unless you want to get a VZW mifi and carry it around all day and connect your N5 with wifi. Now theres an idea.
    lets_go_android and DS1331 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sandoff View Post
    It doesn't support the 3G bands for Verizon, and Verizon isn't going to certify it regardless.
    LG Nexus 5 / LG Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL // T-Mobile / AT&T
    Mac58 likes this.

Global Posts
    4,266 Global Posts

Verizon will only allow devices that they sell directly on their network. They are control freaks and whatever device they can't put their ridiculous branding and atrocious bloatware will never be allowed on their network. Quite frankly I'm surprised that people knowing the anti consumer and anti net neutrality nature of Verizon still ask if Nexus devices will be available to Verizon customers.

If you want to be on the latest and greatest unlocked devices run as fast as you can away from Verizon.
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
    Banned

Big red aka the color of communism!

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile
    ki11ak3nn and ring o fire like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Verizon will only allow devices that they sell directly on their network. They are control freaks and whatever device they can't put their ridiculous branding and atrocious bloatware will never be allowed on their network. Quite frankly I'm surprised that people knowing the anti consumer and anti net neutrality nature of Verizon still ask if Nexus devices will be available to Verizon customers.

If you want to be on the latest and greatest unlocked devices run as fast as you can away from Verizon.
    Not true.

Verizon allows the Nexus 7 on their network because it doesn't have voice service. They will not allow an unlocked Nexus 5 on their network because it offers voice, and they have to provide certain binaries for voice to work.

Verizon just wants the big checkmark and label across the front of the nexus and Google prob said **** off

Sent from my HTC One
    JonK and galfert like this.

My personal opinion is that this is Google's not so subtle "up yours" to Verizon for 1.) Not keeping up with updates on prior Nexus devices and 2.) Not letting Google Wallet NFC payments work on Verizon's network. And since this phone has been in development for a while I would not be surprised if Verizon got wind of this and that is the reason they are dragging their feet in letting people connect to their LTE network with the Nexus 7 tablets.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post

Not true.

Verizon allows the Nexus 7 on their network because it doesn't have voice service. They will not allow an unlocked Nexus 5 on their network because it offers voice, and they have to provide certain binaries for voice to work.
    Both comments are half true. See my comments above. VZW does not allow any device onto their 3G network that they didnt sell. They dont want to allow devices on their 4G network either but they have no choice thanks to the FCC. That is why the N7 works. It is compatible so they cannot deny it service. The N5 cannot get on VZW because it does not support the required frequencies to use VZW's 4G network. The N5 does have the right frequencies to support VZW's 3G network but VZW will not give 3G service to a device they didnt sell.

Quote Originally Posted by JonK View Post
    Both comments are half true. See my comments above. VZW does not allow any device onto their 3G network that they didnt sell. They dont want to allow devices on their 4G network either but they have no choice thanks to the FCC. That is why the N7 works. It is compatible so they cannot deny it service. The N5 cannot get on VZW because it does not support the required frequencies to use VZW's 4G network. The N5 does have the right frequencies to support VZW's 3G network but VZW will not give 3G service to a device they didnt sell.
    I'm sorry, but you are flat out wrong. The Nexus 7 will work without issue on Verizon's 3G network.

The reason they allow it is because it doesn't have CDMA voice service.

Sent from my iPhone using

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    I'm sorry, but you are flat out wrong. The Nexus 7 will work without issue on Verizon's 3G network.

The reason they allow it is because it doesn't have CDMA voice service.

Sent from my iPhone using
    That is news to me. Interesting, thanks.