Nexus 5 or GS4 Google Play Edition?

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the N5, but 4.4 looks amazing. Since a good camera is a big deal to me, I'm thinking of grabbing a lightly used Galaxy S4 Google Play edition off of ebay for around 400-450 instead of a Nexus 5. It's more expensive, but assuming the camera on the N5 is only marginally better than the N4's, I think the extra 50-100 bucks is worth it. Plus it has a bigger battery and an SD card.

If a camera is important to you, would you go for the S4 GPE or the N5? I'm leaning towards the GS4. Any drawbacks to the GS4 that I'm missing?

Thoughts?

I've got an N4 right now, btw. But the camera is killing me.

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 or GS4 Google Play Edition

Couldn't stand the S4 lag. ... but I never used the gpe. Just based off the S4 fiasco, I'm sticking away from the basic Galaxy S line. Nexus 5 all the way!

Note 3 <Caesars>

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

this is the Nexus 5 forum. my guess is everyone here will say get the Nexus 5 - including me.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I get all kinds of phones so I think I may be able to help. I had the GS4 GE and it was a very nice phone. The camera was great and stock Android ran very well on it. IMO, it's the only way to have a S4. Having said that, I like the look of the Nexus 5 better and it will be running the latest version of Android. Android 4.4 will have a lot of features I like. I won't be able to judge the camera until I actually get the phone but, i think it will be better than the N4 judging from the leaks.

The S4 is nice in that you have all the Samsung accessories you can still use for it. I know I'm going to like the Nexus 5 better but, the GE S4 is a nice phone.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Do you want to capture the everyday and the epic in fresh new ways, or not?

luckydwg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

So, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the N5, but 4.4 looks amazing. Since a good camera is a big deal to me, I'm thinking of grabbing a lightly used Galaxy S4 Google Play edition off of ebay for around 400-450 instead of a Nexus 5. It's more expensive, but assuming the camera on the N5 is only marginally better than the N4's, I think the extra 50-100 bucks is worth it. Plus it has a bigger battery and an SD card.

If a camera is important to you, would you go for the S4 GPE or the N5? I'm leaning towards the GS4. Any drawbacks to the GS4 that I'm missing?

Thoughts?

I've got an N4 right now, btw. But the camera is killing me.

Pm me I have a s4 gpe for sale once I get my nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site

Couldn't stand the S4 lag. ... but I never used the gpe. Just based off the S4 fiasco, I'm sticking away from the basic Galaxy S line. Nexus 5 all the way!

Note 3 <Caesars>

TouchWiz makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit, so I get ya. Seems like Google is treating the GPE phones pretty much like a nexus so I'm thinking of the S4 as just an alternate nexus.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Comes down to subjective preference, obviously. But personally, if I was only going to have one it would likely be the GS4 GE. It's going to be running KK within a couple weeks anyway if the last update is any indication, and I do love my spare battery kit and access to expandable memory (I realize these things aren't a big deal for as many folks anymore tho). If the N5 is optimized *really* well and can make the most of that 2300 mAh battery that might change my viewpoint. Similarly, if the N5 had ALL the moto x style voice integration, I would likely be tempted to use it as a stand alone device. My understanding is it only has some of that device's functionality, however--but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Cameras on phones don't mean much to me so that's never a factor on my end. As things stand, I'm looking forward to enjoying them both as I just ordered the N5 and don't have any immediate plans to give up my GS4 GE. Late October birthdays are a wonderful thing :)

Posted via Android Central App

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site

Happy birthday! Mine was on the 22nd.

Yeah I use my phone for work and having a swapable battery is really nice. I guess it really comes down to whether or not the camera is just mediocre on the N5. I'll make my decision then.

James Cortez

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I have the GS4 GPE. I love it. But I'm upgrading to the N5. The camera on the GS4 GPE is pretty good, but based on what I'm reading and seeing about the N5 it looks like it will be better. Honestly I think either is a great phone. If you decide to go with the GS4 GPE I'll be selling mine once the N5 comes. I'll include a 64 GB micro SD card, the wireless charging adapter, and 2 different cases (a Speck and an OtterBox).

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

From what I've seen the camera on the Nexus 5 is really good.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Had the S4 GPe since launch and sold it last week. It was a super phone. Kinda pissed me off that 4.3 broke 3rd party apps writing to the SD card and neither Samsung or Google would admit it or fix it. The camera is no where near as good as the TW S4 but better than the Nexus 4. I think my Moto X camera is as good or slightly better than the S4 GPe camera.

All that said, I sold it last week for 500 (Mint) and ordered the 32GB Nexus 5 today to go with my 32GB Moto X which I like! Looking forward to the Nexus 5 and kitkat. This will be the first time in a long time that I will not have a Samsung as a daily driver...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance