Like Tree26Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The Verge Preview Hands On

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Default Re: The Verge Preview Hands On

What a biased and crappy review. iVerge cannot do a review without mentioning ios.

Posted with my S4 via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by eRod v1.0 View Post
    What a biased and crappy review. iVerge cannot do a review without mentioning ios.

Terrible response by you. The Verge is by FAR the best reviewing tech site right now. Their videos are always top notch and just b/c you don't agree doesn't mean they're iSheep or iVerge or whatever other childish names you want to call them. And this is coming from someone who already ordered the N5.
    Thanked by:
    Berserk likes this.

Wow, not sure you could sound any more disinterested in a phone.

Global Posts
    1,675 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

I also didn't like the video. You can tell a lot of people didn't like it judging by the over double negative thumbs vs. positive. I like some of the Verge's videos but I don't think they're one of the best tech sites IMO. Their production and videos are nice but sometime you can tell some of the reviewers are biased.

Watching the video I can tell the phone is running real nice, even when he says it lags. He's well spoken but the short review is not good IMO.

It was almost as if he was going to start melting if he held it any longer...
    qnet likes this.

that kid has always been a real smacked a$$ all the way back to the old Palm days.

Got to agree with the majority here. There was certainly a negative vibe going on regarding android OS and nexus phones in general. He insinuated that the phone could be inferior in certain aspects unless it proved itself in the in depth review. He certainly didn't approach this with an open, unbiased mind.

Preview cannot answer the biggest question: battery life.

@T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510

The Verge video last year for the Nexus 4? Amazing. This guy doesn't even look like he gives a damn for the phone.
    Go to http://referral.t-mobile.com and type in icecream for the referral code you get 10+ bucks for free.
    Thanked by 2:
    somdave2005 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eRod v1.0 View Post

They bashed iOS 7 non stop. They weren't biased.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

Don't be so hard on the guy. Here's a little update from Dieter: "Well, I think I like the Nexus 5. It grows on you."
    qnet likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,922 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by el3ctronics View Post
    Terrible response by you. The Verge is by FAR the best reviewing tech site right now. Their videos are always top notch and just b/c you don't agree doesn't mean they're iSheep or iVerge or whatever other childish names you want to call them. And this is coming from someone who already ordered the N5.
    Seriously? He took the time to bash android cameras and brush them all to the side.

"android cameras usually aren't that impressive"

That's where he lost me.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

And a horrible retort by you. Anandtech or Toms hardware smokes the Verge or any tech blog out there. The Verge is garbage imo when it comes to reviews. Very little hard fact and more opinion/feeling/conjecture with constant iPhone/Pad comparisons.
    Phone: LG G2, Nexus 4
    Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013), Xoom
    Retired: Blackberry Storm and 2, Droid X and X2, Galaxy Nexus
    Thanked by:
    planoman, galfert, qnet and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Lol

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

The only thing that concerns me is he says the phone has lag. I was under the impression that Nexus phones do not have any lag. I will have to see for myself when mine arrives.

Global Posts
    1,675 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Quote Originally Posted by blitz118 View Post
    The only thing that concerns me is he says the phone has lag. I was under the impression that Nexus phones do not have any lag. I will have to see for myself when mine arrives.
    Watching the video closely as he operated the phone, I didn't see any lag. In fact it was running really nice and smooth and I liked the animations. I think he was just assuming that without even using the phone a lot. When he mentioned lag in the scrolling, he didn't even scroll the page, he just held his finger on it and moved the page up and down. Even then I didn't notice any lag.

I have used Iphones and they are exceptionally smooth, and there is nothing like it, but Android has improved greatly. He may have meant how it stutters when the webpage is loading. I didn't noticed it in the video (because he didn't actually scroll it, like I mentioned) but I've seen it on Android devices. IOS does a great job in that, even though a page has not loaded fully, it will not let you scroll the whole page until it's done loading. What you can scroll is smooth. Android seems to try and let you get all the information as it's happening, therefore it stutters trying to load all the content as is you scroll. It's actually pretty ingenious by Apple to do this and makes the user experience better.

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

Yea I saw that earlier and his review seemed about as passe as you could possible be in reviewing something like that.

It wasn't Josh and this guy seemed genuinely upset that he had to do it.

"Meh...it's just an OK phone. Laggy, and the camera's not that good, like all Android devices."
    Thanked by:

I wonder what would happen if I email him and ask to take that disappointing phone off his hands...
    ludesleep likes this.

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

Comments are ripping him apart. Honestly, it was pretty bad. It might as well have been Tim Cook doing it.

Im also with the majority. I watched that video earlier today and was actually shocked that someone from The Verge would make such comments. I have always been a fan of their reviews - maybe they were rushed for time, but this wasnt a solid effort on their part.

He is rather unprofessional though. Stupid stupid "hands on" he makes sweeping generalisations.

Quote Originally Posted by NewAge View Post
    Anandtech or Toms hardware smokes the Verge or any tech blog out there.
    Don't forget Android Central!

Let's face it. If you love Android, you're probably going to buy the Nexus 5. If you're undecided, you're going to be reading multiple articles and watching every YouTube video review you can get your hands on. For example, Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) has high-quality reviews on his YouTube channel. I would recommend him if you want a good video review.
    GadgetGator likes this.

Global Posts
    4,266 Global Posts

I'm a fan of The Verge and contrary to what many think most reviewers, reporters and staff are pretty much fans of all platforms. I tend to think they are mostly Android fans beginning with Joshua Topolsky who currently has a Moto X as daily driver and Nilay Patel who has an HTC One GPE and iPhone 5S.

Getting back to Deiter Bohn yes he's guilty of making generalizations as far as lag on all android devices. Also pretty much saying all Android camera suck. That video should have been just an introductory video and he should have held off any judgement and opinions after a few days of putting the Nexus 5 to the test. The funny thing is that Dieter is an WebOS fanboy and used to head Treo Central back in the days.

Here's what a first hands on video should look like and Dieter Bohn should learn from Lyn Laa.....what a toolbag.
    Last edited by Jerry Hildenbrand; 11-02-2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: edited offensive commentary
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
    Thanked by:
    Berserk likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast