Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus users, what do you think?

James and I were thinking it'd be nice to see what previous Nexus phone users think of the Nexus 5, both before and after the phones start hitting peoples' doorsteps. Personally, I think it's absolutely a step in the right direction. The comparisons to the 2013 Nexus 7 had me optimistic and enthusiastic; the official announcement and reveal has done nothing to change that.

Anyone else?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus users, what do you think?

I think it's a worthy successor. Improvements have been made in key areas like the display and internals, and it has LTE.

The price stayed the same, so that's also a huge deal.

Overall I think it's a great update to the Nexus line, and I can't wait to get my hands on one!
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Worthy successor at the same price, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    and it has LTE.
    Also this.

Global Posts
    991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    Worthy successor at the same price, indeed.

Also this.
    But not the LTE that matters.
    Phone: LG G2, Nexus 4
    Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013), Xoom
    Retired: Blackberry Storm and 2, Droid X and X2, Galaxy Nexus
    ki11ak3nn likes this.

Had the N4 got rid of it to go to the GS4 GPE due to lack of LTE. Other than that I loved the N4. This looks like they took the N4 and improved it and added LTE. Looks like a winner to me. I'll post back once I get the N5 in my hand.

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

I had the the Gnex on Verizon. Enough said.

I'm waiting for my N5 with T-Mobile SIM in hand. Love vanilla android. Don't want all of the gimmick features.

Posted with my S4 via Android Central App

Like everyone has said throughout this form its a good improvement over the Gnex. I never used the N4 but I tried it out and wasn't moves by it except for its design. I'll get my N5 by Christmas or somewhere around that.. So I can see what the issues are first and what not.. But I was hoping that kit Kat at least made its way to the Gnex even if it was a minor change.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

Well, I have the Nexus 4, and didn't plan on getting the Nexus 5. But I ended up ordering it anyway (I guess I found my vice). But yes, from everything I have seen and heard, there are a few things I love in the Nexus 5:

1. The slightly bigger, but not jumbotronic, screen.
    2. The optical image stabilization for the rear camera.
    3. Support for a range of LTE bands.
    4. No more glass back, so I won't need a case or a back cover.

I plan on holding on to my N4 until something else comes out. The N5 really hasn't caught my interest. The LTE would be nice, but I HATE how big phones are now, I even get annoyed with my N4. I'm a little guy with little hands. Wish I could get a Moto X with 1080p and a $350 unlocked price tag Maybe one day.
    Thanked by:

I guess that I'm a fangirl. I couldn't tell you anything about the specs, even though I read them, but I did order a Nexus 5. The only Nexus phone that I haven't had is the Nexus One. I generally don't want to use a phone as a daily device after one year, so I got a Nexus 5.

I think this is a true flagship phone, what more could you really want, everything has improved over the N4 apart from the uncertainty over the notification light which I'll be surprised if it doesn't have one, the screen looks superb, I had a htc one and the screen was amazing on that and from what I have seen so far this looks every bit as good, and the Snapdragon 800 is a major step up, the N5 makes me really excited about the N10, this will be my next purchase as ive had bad luck with my N7 2013 and really can't wait to sell it lol

Global Posts
    1,718 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

I think it's a step up in every way. I like the design, Android 4.4, having LTE unlocked, and not exclusive to one carrier is very nice. I also liked that they increased the storage.

I have a Nexus 4 and want a 5.

I'm glad the Nexus 5 is finally here. It looks like a great phone, and I'm planning to get a 32 GB one.

The new back cover looks more durable. It should also stay put if you put it on an inclined surface.

Vic Gundotra said that Google was "committed to making Nexus phones insanely great cameras." A lot of people will be checking to see if that comes to fruition.

32 GB of storage is great for people who don't always have access to the cloud. For those who use the cloud extensively, there is no cheaper 8 GB version available. 16 GB is the new minimum standard.

I don't expect OTG USB support without root, but if the Nexus 5 has it, that would be another plus.

Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

Quote Originally Posted by NewAge View Post
    But not the LTE that matters.
    ^^^^THIS!! I had a GNex on Verizon. I liked it. Until it just started to slowly die on me. Once I found out the Nexus wasn't coming to Verizon I went and bought a Note 3. I'm extremely pissed that the Nexus 5 isn't on the largest carrier in the US right now, but I'm happy with my Note. I can't sacrifice great coverage for a phone.

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
    Thanked by:

I have a N4 and would love to have the N5 - I would be happy with a slightly bigger screen.

Right now I don't think it's very reasonable though because my N4 is a very capable device and will get 4.4 very soon. So I think I'll wait for the next Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    ^^^^THIS!! I had a GNex on Verizon. I liked it. Until it just started to slowly die on me. Once I found out the Nexus wasn't coming to Verizon I went and bought a Note 3. I'm extremely pissed that the Nexus 5 isn't on the largest carrier in the US right now, but I'm happy with my Note. I can't sacrifice great coverage for a phone.

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
    Blame verizon for that.

Global Posts
    991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Blame verizon for that.
    It takes two to tango...

Google should have bigger balls than Apple.
    Phone: LG G2, Nexus 4
    Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013), Xoom
    Retired: Blackberry Storm and 2, Droid X and X2, Galaxy Nexus
    Pollster and ki11ak3nn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Blame verizon for that.
    Verizon can't be blamed for the HORRIBLE battery dying. I'm on a VZW Gnex, and I can't get through half a day with the expanded battery pack. The only good news is that I can swap out the battery
    ki11ak3nn likes this.

I only bought my nexus 4 a few months ago so I won't be upgrading until at least next year unless I win something from ac (Really hope it's a nexus 5 if anything). Nexus 5 is in my opinion the best phone on the market right now.

Posted via Android central app on my rooted LG Google Nexus 4
    Shane Dwyer likes this.

Global Posts
    2,932 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

I have a 16 gig Nexus 4. Just bought the 32 gig Nexus 5 yesterday.

- Still don't like the lack of SD, but 32 gigs is finally a decent amount of storage. I don't agree with Google's hate of SD, but I can live with it given the alternatives.
    - Still don't like non-upgradable battery. But the 5 should be better on battery life than the 4, and it does have a larger battery at least.

What I do like that's new:
    - Love OIS camera...this was a big reason for me wanting to upgrade. I do not carry a DSLR with me all the time like a lot of people on here seem to.
    - Love the 1080p display
    - Love the lack of a glass back (god that was an awful decision)
    - Love the additional CPU power and lower energy requirements
    - Look forward to the voice-wake feature
    - Look forward to awesome touch-response on the display/UI

What I like that's not new:
    - Vanilla Android
    Thanked by:
    The Hustleman and Shane Dwyer like this.

Looks good, but being a GNex VZW user, I have a few things holding me back from moving up.
    I don't really want to leave Verizon. So many act like this is insane, but hey. Some of us still have older plans that work monetarily and work in buildings where the carriers that support the Nexus 5 don't get good results. Despite what I'm about to write below, if I was on a different carrier, I would have ordered this by now.
    I don't want a bigger phone. I'm sure I could get used to it, but don't want to have to get used to it.
    Real reviews from real users are not in. Before the GNex came out, lots of promises swirled, and then the device came with terrible battery life, fairly bad radios, and poor camera. I'm not believing anything about this phone until people use it.
    I own a Nexus 10. I'll get my 4.4 (and beyond) fix on that, so not having a Nexus phone won't have me on the outside looking in.

Looks like I'm passing for now. Probably not getting a new phone until Christmas, so who knows how the landscape will have shifted by then. If every other phone I like turns to crap, it may be tim to abandon VZW and work/wait through some other carrier's improvement process.

It's nearly 2014. Why isn't there a phone/carrier combination that is without real dealbreakers for most people?
    Why is there some combination of Too Big/Too Little Battery/Bad Camera/Slow Updates/Doesn't Work on Acceptable Carrier/Bloated Skin on Every Choice?
    Thanked by:

I think my Gnex will be a backup when my 5 arrives.

I own a Verizon GN for work and a N4 on TMo for personal use.

Both are stock. The GN is laggy and awful even though it's blown away every few months. The N4 makes me realize how old the GN is and that it impacts my mobile experience.

I ordered an N5 and will be selling the N4 and likely dropping the GN too. Seems like the perfect phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

No brainer if you're coming from GN. Everything is better. I had the GN and now have N4 with N5 on the way. LTE, better design, and (to a lesser extent) better screen make the difference for me. I don't absolutely hate the N4 glass back design, but the N5 with the soft touch back seems to be a huge improvement.

I do wish they would have pushed the envelope a little more by decreasing the bezels, like the G2. Both G2 and Galaxy 4 (wife has this) seem to have much smaller bezels.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast