Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeremy8000
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Question Camera sticking out... vulnerable to damage??

I'm just wondering, since the camera at the back seems to stick out a bit, doesn't it make it vulnerable to scratches on the lense??
    Many of us have the phone laying flat on its back most of the time, making it lay down on the lense...

Am I worried too much??

Default Re: Camera sticking out... vulnerable to damage??

Slap a screen protector on it.

@T-Mobile GN3

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Slap a screen protector on it.

@T-Mobile GN3
    A screen protector on the back of the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    A screen protector on the back of the phone?
    Yep, I always do that, good for resale, especially when the back cover is not replaceable.

Posted via Android Central App

Back screen protectors have a camera cutout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Ok, but seriously... when put on the back, doesn't it scratch the camera lense?
    Putting a sticker over the lense would give a blurred picture when shooting, so that doesn't really sound like a realistic option.

- My worries are just, that I would scratch the lense...
    Is this a grounded worry, or does the back involve some sort of minimum plastic border surrounding the lense, to protect it?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Dx3me View Post
    I'm just wondering, since the camera at the back seems to stick out a bit, doesn't it make it vulnerable to scratches on the lense??
    Many of us have the phone laying flat on its back most of the time, making it lay down on the lense...

Am I worried too much??
    Haven't seen the device yet, but I'd be highly surprised if the lens itself isn't slightly recessed from the frame surrounding it (as with pretty much every other camera).
    MrSlippery519 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    Haven't seen the device yet, but I'd be highly surprised if the lens itself isn't slightly recessed from the frame surrounding it (as with pretty much every other camera).
    Came to say the exact same thing. Also keep in mind I would find it hard to image Google would have just randomly made the lens stick out making it susceptible to scratches just for the heck of it.

If you look at some of the new AndroidCentral pictures it looks like there is a ring around the lens so when the phone sits on its back the lens itself is not in contact with anything.

Android Centrals has the pictures here. I can see the outside of the lens is raised but it also looks like the glass part of the lens recedes below the outer ring to protect it from scratches...

Camera sticking out... vulnerable to damage??-n17.jpg

The lens doesn't stick out far in this shot.

Camera sticking out... vulnerable to damage??-n12.jpg

In pictures Android Central: The Nexus 5 (Several Views)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Guess we're save than...

Here is another view from the Play Store of the side image..

Camera sticking out... vulnerable to damage??-nexus-5-side-view.jpg

Maybe it pops out a little but when the camera app is started...like a zoom lens on a point and shoot camera, but a much smaller scale. If you're worried about it, put the phone in a case.

Other thing to consider is that perhaps they couldn't make the phone any thinner with the camera flush, so rather than having the whole phone a full mm or so thicker they just let that one part extend... Just a random thought - not sure if there's any merit to it as a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    Other thing to consider is that perhaps they couldn't make the phone any thinner with the camera flush, so rather than having the whole phone a full mm or so thicker they just let that one part extend... Just a random thought - not sure if there's any merit to it as a possibility.
    I would imagine that is exactly the case, I do not think they set out wanting it to stick out but like you said rather than making the entire phone 1mm thicker they opted for this which I feel was a good move.

I don't see this as an issue since most people put their phones in a case for protection.

tap'n

i have an ipod touch 5 and it has the lens stick out like this too, i've been using it without a case for almost a year, dropped twice, one time was at about 2 feet, the other time i accidentally tossed it to the wall and it landed on its back and still working fine.
    i'm pretty careful but i don't treat my devices like princesses, usually i lay the phone on a table by dropping it at a height of about 3 cm, i never lay it down "gently".
    and like i said i've been using it like that and i do it every day and it's still fine. the camera looks fine and works fine.
    why? it's not because i'm trying to advertise for apple, but because of the material, the lens is made of sapphire which is extremely hard, that's why
    i think that's the same for the nexus 5 too,

so don't get a case if you don't want to, i personally don't like using case.
    btw this is going to be my first phone, it's time that i need one

I worry about that also. I always use a case that makes sure the lens is below the case line so I can lay the phone on its back without worrying.

This is the only thing I do not like about this phone. I think it's a horrible design choice. I would've gladly traded a little bit of thickness for not having the camera stick out. It's an eye sore to on the back on the phone (just as the LED ring was for the Nexus 4). Doesn't look good, but whatever.
    To answer the OP, I think when you place the phone down, the circumference of the lens cover is big enough that the center of the lens won't come in direct contact with the surface...I'm planning on using a case anyway, just because I don't like to see that sticking out. It reminds me of my old HTC Droid Incredible, where the camera protruded a lot, had a big lens cover, and it collected dust like crazy which ended up on the lens I'm hoping the N5 won't suffer from that problem.

This doesn't make any sense.

Screen protector on the back - of a phone? And if you're speaking about a small protector for just the lens, then that, obviously, will detracts from the quality of the picture.

Of course, his post was just silly.

I'm on my third Nexus 5. I cracked the camera lens of the first two.