Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Woosh
  • 1 Post By Shilohcane
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any suggestions on my Verizon issue?

OK, I jumped in and bought this 5 yesterday b4 getting final confirmation that Verizon is not supporting it. My 2 year renewal with them comes up in February. Should I cancel the order or does anyone have a creative idea to be able to use the phone now?

Default Re: Any suggestions on my Verizon issue?

The only idea I could think of would be to just pay the ETF and be done with Verizon if you plan on switching anyway, it shouldn't be too much since you only have a few months left anyway. If that's not an option then.... Have 2 phones maybe? Haha. I know this sounds dumb but I did it for a while in the same situation. And I ended up just call forwarding my vzw phone to my Nexus 4 until I could cancel my vzw line for good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    College student that spends far too much money on phones.
    Thanked by:

Well do you still want the phone? If you want to actually use the phone, then you could just double up on phones like cheeta said.

If not, try to cancel or just refuse the package when it arrives.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I guess I'll check the math of ETF now vs 4 more months of Verizon bills added to new plan @ another carrier - definitely ready to go elsewhere ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by TexasNexus1 View Post
    OK, I jumped in and bought this 5 yesterday b4 getting final confirmation that Verizon is not supporting it. My 2 year renewal with them comes up in February. Should I cancel the order or does anyone have a creative idea to be able to use the phone now?
    I honestly hope you're trolling. It's been said everywhere that it wouldn't be on Verizon. There are a few topics on this already in these forums on where to go if you don't want to be a Verizon customer, if you expect to stay then cancel the order.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    CR6 likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,175 Global Posts

Re-sell the Nexus 5 while the prices are high. Buy a Moto X or DROID MAXX outright.

Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

May do the outright MAXX - that was my 2nd choice if this didn't work out
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Re-sell the Nexus 5 while the prices are high. Buy a Moto X or DROID MAXX outright.

Posted via Android Central App

Sell your current phone to pay the ETF, bail on Verizon, never look back. Your ETF shouldn't be too much considering you are almost to the end of your contract.
    Thanked by:

If you have more than one line just transfer the upgrade to the phone and then cancel. I am thinking I will just have two phones for a bit (well 3 with my work phone). I will just use call forwarding to my new phone.

I am giving up VZW unlimited - :\
    Thanked by:

Both phones. Keep your current and run a month on the Nexus before making a decision. You need to make sure you get service all the places you want service. If you don't, it only cost $50 to find out.
    Resell-ability on the Nexus will still be there in a month, especially if they are still scarce.
    Thanked by:
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,175 Global Posts

May do the outright MAXX - that was my 2nd choice if this didn't work out
    From the tone of your original post, you were never looking to leave Verizon - which is why I made the suggestion I gave. Was my assumption correct?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

Isn't the ETF on Verizon always $350, regardless of time remaining on contract? That's what it was for me at least, but I still had over a year left.

Leave verizon.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Actually, I'm OK leaving Verizon, (AT&T & TMob have good LTE in Dallas area) - or staying & going prepaid. Have 2 other phones in our family plan, 1 is available for upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    From the tone of your original post, you were never looking to leave Verizon - which is why I made the suggestion I gave. Was my assumption correct?

Why cancel your Nexus 5 just sell it on Ebay and make $100 profit.
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I called Verizon to check & with 4 months left on contract, ETF is $150 for me, goes down $25 each month until the end of February when it's gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdane07 View Post
    Isn't the ETF on Verizon always $350, regardless of time remaining on contract? That's what it was for me at least, but I still had over a year left.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,175 Global Posts

Actually, I'm OK leaving Verizon, (AT&T & TMob have good LTE in Dallas area) - or staying & going prepaid. Have 2 other phones in our family plan, 1 is available for upgrade
    In that case - T-Mo, $30, 100 minute, unlimited text, unlimited data plan.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

If you have good T Mobile service then go with Metro PCS that is 100% owned by T Mobile. Metro PCS is $10 cheaper than T Mobile every month and your Nexus 5 will use T Mobiles service. T Mobile is moving everyone off Metro PCS frequency spectrum bands (VoLTE) to T Mobile services when they get a new phone that supports T Mobile. By late 2014 T Mobile will shut down all Metro bands and add those spectrum bands to T Mobile. Metro PCS is the 5th larges cell network in the county and it was the first VoLTE service in the USA and that VoLTE is where T Mobile is moving to.

Metro PCS has a family plan where every phone you add to the contact lowers the bill by $5 each a month. With two cell phones I am paying $70 a month for both with no extra taxes for unlimited voice, text and data. Note I only get 500 MB of data at 4G LTE speed then drops to unlimited 3G speed but there are options on that also for a few more bucks.
    Thanked by:
    TexasNexus1 likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Going to check that out - almost forgot about them & they originated in my home town - thanks