Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Nexus 5 WiFi problem

An update on my issue, I received my replacement Nexus 5 this morning, running the old an new side by side the original is showing a much weaker WiFi signal. The replacement can see both my routers an my neighbours router, which is the same as my Nexus 7 :-). So in my case the issue with very week signal appears to be down to faulty hardware.

I haven't had a problem with my Asus RT-AC66U, but am having problems with the wireless APs at work today. There are 2 APs with the same SSID on different channels on 802.11g. At first it connected, but now will not connect at all. I just got the phone last night, so I'll see if there is a problem with my Asus when I get home, but I don't expect one.

This isn't an issue specific to the N5. I have the same issue with my transformer prime and acer A100. The wifi signal will be strong and well connected, but the color goes from blue to gray, which means you aren't connected to the internet/cloud. None of my other devices have ever had a problem connecting and maintaining connection. The router is a wrt54gl. I have lived with this problem for a few years now. hadn't heard the suggestion about switching from auto to 2.4. I'll try that tonight.

glad i found this thread.

my problem isn't hanging onto a connection but more with consistency of speed

on a 75Mbps down/10Mbps up plan - get anywhere from 65-75Mbps down wirelessly and 10Mbps up on my 2013 N7, 5GHz

my N5 can sometimes hit these speeds and then all of a sudden achieve no more than 25 down - but always stays consistent at 10 up. i've changed AC routers and even upgraded to a better modem. still no luck. checked and changed wifi channels, settings, etc. all the same.

sometimes power cycling the modem/router will temporarily fix it. it's ONLY with the N5. my N7 always hits 65-75 down/10 up without fail.
    Last edited by jeromenumbers; 01-05-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Same problem. But only happens in Starbucks.
    Which is very ironic:
    I now have to do a factory reset after I visit Starbucks.

Glad I found this thread. I earlier noted in Nexus 5 problems thread the wifi problem has arisen for me.
    Had a Netgear N router and truly no problems.
    Then I got fancy, installing a Netgear AC router with 5 and 2.4 gigahertz bands.
    Periodically the wifi symbol under settings turns orange.
    Have turned airplane mode on and off, turning device off and on, forgetting the network, etc., and occasionally something will work. But I can't figure out pattern.
    I'm not terribly tech savvy but am posting in the hopes Google will recognize it has a serious problem considering all these reports. Hopefully Google will send out a fix soon.
    Otherwise loving the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Download on mine is about 2-4 times slower than on S3 (tested from about 30-40ft away and a couple of walls. N5 was restored prior to testing and speedtest was the ONLY app downloaded from play store. It seems like it works fine when you are near the router, but gets pretty bad when you are farther away. When I'm 30-40 ft, behind 2-3 walls, that's when Galaxy S3 is 2-4 times faster.

Today I was at my friends house in the city where they have free wifi I tested N5 against Nokia Lumia 521 4 times (obviously not at the same time).

Nokia results

N5

uploads were about the same, a little over 2 mbps.

Please note, nokia download speeds are more consistent than N5's

Just did two tests at home, 30-40 ft away from my westell 2.4ghz router and 2-3 walls in between.

Nokia

N5

Again, please note the consistency of Nokia speeds

I tested agasint Westell 7051 (verizon. can't find firmware update. anyone?), DLink-615R (updated firmware, have to retest it) and xfinity public wifi.
    I did some test on WD Net N600 (supports dual bands), but it will need to re-test this one

I tried different channels on westell as well

It seems like router may have something to do with it, but because it's also much slower an inconsistent with xfinity hot spots, I suspect there's an issue with N5.
    I think N5's wifi is either under-powered, defective or not configured correctly on my phone. I wish I had another N5 to compare.

I also called google, the guy said he can't comment on speed test as they may be using different tunneling(???) for different devices!?!? I have a Sprint version of the phone using on GSM and he suggested I get one from google play instead. He wasn't sure if they are completely the same or not. The only thing I know - sprint had their hands in the box - they stole the sim removal tool and added their paperwork. But other than that, I think all US models of N5 are identical. no?

Hardware issue? Hope not. I'm on 4.4.2. by the way. Thanks.
    Last edited by nikon5400; 12-20-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Yup, changing to channel 11 worked for me too... Thanx!

WiFi channel 11 has the least interference from cordless phones, and also is not the normal default (6 is the normal default).

After 2 months of flawless wireless connectivity, today, for some strange reason, my phone would not connect to my router. I have a Lumia 520, Moto X (returned it later in the morning), 2 laptops and a desktop all connecting to my router without any problem. I reset the router, and the phone would connect briefly with the router and internet, then revert back to LTE. I tried deleting the SSID, rescanning, and selecting my router and entering my wireless key. Finally, I got fed up and did a factory reset, and it seems to be OK. I hope that isn't a symptom of further problems. It's a PITA to re-install and configure the phone and apps, set wallpaper, ringtones, etc. Also, lately, my phone's battery had severe battery drain in my office, which is insulated from any cell signals. I even turned off mobile data, but the phone drained. On the battery app, I had a bunch of red periods with mobile data despite turning off the radio (at least I think the radio should be off by selecting mobile data off). My Lumia 520 never had that problem in the same environment, and that is with wifi, bluetooth, mobile data on. Anyways, just had to vent a little bit. These are a couple niggles with the phone so far.

Default Re: Nexus 5 WiFi problem SLOVED

My new nexus 5 had issues with wi-fi painfully slow 2mb on speedtest, also when I left the house and came back the wi-fi wouldn't connect and I had to press airplane mode to get it back. I also had issues with Bluetooth unless i turned off wi-fi. I tried a factory reset nothing happened same issue. Today I factory reset the phone but unchecked the backup/restore on start up, I have had to download all my apps manually and sync all my contacts etc manually but I now get 100mb on speedtests every time, Connects automatically to wi-fi everytime, Bluetooth issue resolved as well hope this works for everyone else I nearly sent the phone back it was driving me crazy but now loving the phone.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

100mb? That's impressive. Which ISP do you have?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Howdy all, new android convert from apple and new Nexus 5 owner as well. I have this problem as well at least once or twice a day. Only solution for me is to turn the phone on and off.

Has Google said that this is an issue they are aware of? It seems like it's been going on for months now.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Nexus 5 WiFi problem SLOVED

Quote Originally Posted by RoyStar View Post
    My new nexus 5 had issues with wi-fi painfully slow 2mb on speedtest, also when I left the house and came back the wi-fi wouldn't connect and I had to press airplane mode to get it back. I also had issues with Bluetooth unless i turned off wi-fi. I tried a factory reset nothing happened same issue. Today I factory reset the phone but unchecked the backup/restore on start up, I have had to download all my apps manually and sync all my contacts etc manually but I now get 100mb on speedtests every time, Connects automatically to wi-fi everytime, Bluetooth issue resolved as well hope this works for everyone else I nearly sent the phone back it was driving me crazy but now loving the phone.
    I'm wondering if that's my issue. I'm on my replacement phone due to light bleed on my first N5. This one has had poor reception with wifi and I checked the restore when I first fired it up. I wonder if that's the culprit. Might reset in recovery and start from scratch and see if this helps.

Anche io non riesco pi a connettermi alle reti wi.fi.
    Mi risulta acceso, legge le reti ma non non si accende il radar per le connessioni e quindi non posso navigare con le reti wi.fi. di casa mia, dei miei parenti e dell'ufficio. Devo anche dire che questa cosa successa dalla sera alla mattina. Qualcuno sa dirmi cosa successo??? Si pu ripristinare la funzione o si "bruciata"per sempre??? e in quel caso, visto che il cellulare in garanzia a chi devo o posso rivolgermi per la risoluzione del problema????
    Grazie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234