Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does the Nexus 5 support USB OTG?

Wondering if the Nexus 5 supports USB OTG? I would like to get one of these ( Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter compatible with Samsung© Galaxy S3 / S3: Cell Phones & Accessories ) and then hook it up to a USB card reader so I can transfer files from a SD card to the Nexus 5.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Does the Nexus 5 support USB OTG?

It may require the Nexus Media Importer to get OTG working, but I hope not. Most Samsung devices (and many others) support OTG w/out any further software. ...but perhaps in the name of slimness Google leaves it out (but then, why charge for NMI????)
    Live long and prosper.

LG gave the N4 an OTG but without amperage supply ... hope the N5 will get it.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Just tested OTG and it certainly doesn't work out of the box haven't had a chance to try with the nexus media importer yet.
    Adamsberg likes this.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by pauluea View Post
    Just tested OTG and it certainly doesn't work out of the box haven't had a chance to try with the nexus media importer yet.
    I expected that but am disappointed. $349/$399 ...I guess you can't have everything for that price. I wouldn't want Google to go out of business or anything.
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Chum View Post
    Wondering if the Nexus 5 supports USB OTG? I would like to get one of these ( Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter compatible with Samsung© Galaxy S3 / S3: Cell Phones & Accessories ) and then hook it up to a USB card reader so I can transfer files from a SD card to the Nexus 5.
    Did you try Meenova MicroSD Card Reader to replace this OTG cable and reader?

Does the Nexus 5 support USB OTG?-m3_on_nexus7-1200x960.jpg
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by jangofei View Post
    Did you try Meenova MicroSD Card Reader to replace this OTG cable and reader?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M3_on_Nexus7-1200x960.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	90013
    Ya know, for $12 that's just fantastic. I don't even need one and I just ordered it. This should really be available in retail too, I think. Really good for all the non-Samsung-phone having folks. It makes the mSD card so accessible yet is so unobtrusive. Thanks for sharing.
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Ya know, for $12 that's just fantastic. I don't even need one and I just ordered it. This should really be available in retail too, I think. Really good for all the non-Samsung-phone having folks. It makes the mSD card so accessible yet is so unobtrusive. Thanks for sharing.
    looks wonderful!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Once again, am I the only one who read the part where it says, "Google Nexus 4 doesn't support USB-OTG, it is NOT compatible." (

There is no reason to believe the Nexus 5 is any different in this regard.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Once again, am I the only one who read the part where it says, "Google Nexus 4 doesn't support USB-OTG, it is NOT compatible." (

I didn't get it for the Nexus 5 at all so that doesn't effect me in the least.

Note 8.0
    Live long and prosper.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

This thread is specifically for learning whether or not the Nexus 5 supports USB OTG. It would be appreciated if someone can test this today now that the phones are staring to being delivered.

It would be helpful to know what USB OTG hardware you are using, what software (Nexus Media Importer, OTG Disk Explorer, Stickmount, etc.) might also needed, and whether or not root is required. Thank you!

Someone from reddit used the OTG Troubleshooter app on his/her's Nexus 5

Very disappointing if the Nexus 5 doesn't support otg usb storage. It would help so much on the road to be able to transfer files between phones or other devices.

The filemanager "Total Commander" with the "USB-Stick Plugin" can access USB-Sticks attached via USB-OTG for the Nexus 5 without any modifications.
    So USB-OTG is okay, but attached sticks are not mounted from the OS (same as for Nexus 7 and Nexus 10).

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post

it supports it just fine. using stickmount
    Nexus 5!
    The path to enlightenment begins with an unlocked bootloader...

twitter.com/indianajonze
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I believe Stickmount requires root, correct?

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

So the TL;DR answer seems to be...No?

heya, first post, I am expecting a nexus 5 in few days. Can usb otg for amp/dacs be tested? the log indicated that it could. I have a Fiio e17 if that helps...Thanks.

. (sorry double posted)
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I was just able to confirm that USB OTG works on the Nexus 5!

I used the hardware listed in the original post of this message and plugged it into a basic SD card reader (one of these devices: )

Then I was able to read the contents of my SD card and copy files to the Nexus 5 internal memory using the following from the Play store:
    -
    -
    Thanked by 2:
    slave and OffKilter like this.

I used the hardware listed in the original post of this message and plugged it into a basic SD card reader (one of these devices: )

Then I was able to read the contents of my SD card and copy files to the Nexus 5 internal memory using the following from the Play store:
    -
    -
    Thanks for confirming! I am also hoping to fund out about how it works with external dac's the note 2 seems to ve very hit or miss!

Bt how are you liking the phone? Screen, kitkat etc?

-
    -
    Does this method require root?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPdx View Post
    Does this method require root?
    No, "Total Commander" with "USB-Stick Plugin" requires no root.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

YAY!

Does it require root?

EDIT: NM...I need to start reading the rest of these threads before replying.

Let's be fair and honest: "Supports USB OTG" should mean that the device can access any USB flash drive using nothing more than a simple adapter cable (and even then, only when physically required). If you need to load a special app, root, load a custom ROM, or use any hardware interface other than the previously noted adapter cable, then "Supports USB OTG" is a misnomer at best.

The original docs for the pre-release Nexus 4 said it would have USB OTG; this was dropped from the docs a few days after the N4 went on sale. The usual explanation is that the N4 hardware was unable to provide the necessary current to make OTG devices function reliably. Presuming that is still the case, any attempt to force OTG without using a powered device, it would seem to me, would put your data at risk.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast