Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

I have an HTC One but I have to return it because the eBay seller didn't include the recharger and he said he would send me one... a month ago. I love the HTC One speakers and quite frankly I have to say they have spoiled me. What are the speakers like on the Nexus 5? Also what is the battery life like? I know that it has a bit of a bigger screen but the SnapDragon 800 seems much more battery efficient.

Thanks for all posts!
    somdave2005 likes this.

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

Not to change the subject but you couldn't go pick up a wall charger for a couple bucks?

Anyways, I'm curious about the speakers as well. I previously owned an HTC One and loved the sound quality. I currently own a Moto X and those speakers are surprisingly crisp and loud -- very similar to HTC's. Hopefully the Nexus 5 has decent speakers on it; the Nexus 7 does so hopefully the 5 follows suit.
    Thanked by:
    kgbkny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stepaul8 View Post
    I have an HTC One but I have to return it because the eBay seller didn't include the recharger and he said he would send me one... a month ago. I love the HTC One speakers and quite frankly I have to say they have spoiled me. What are the speakers like on the Nexus 5? Also what is the battery life like? I know that it has a bit of a bigger screen but the SnapDragon 800 seems much more battery efficient.

Thanks for all posts!
    Too early to tell on battery life but it always depends on your lifestyle. I have charger at work and in my car so it's never been a problem with me. How long it'll last will depend on how you use it.

People are saying speakers are good but nothing like boom sound.

Posted via Android Central App
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    Thanked by:
    stepaul8 likes this.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Speakers seem ok, not the best... Better placement (on the bottom) but despite it looking like 2 it's only 1 speaker.
    Thanked by 2:
    stepaul8 likes this.

Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say it won't be no HTC one. That and the awsome metal build is probably one of the trade offs. If your looking for good sound then you might want to spend the extra money for the one. On the flip side you get a faster/more effient proc with the n5 and wireless charging.
    Thanked by:
    stepaul8 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Jdane07 View Post
    Not to change the subject but you couldn't go pick up a wall charger for a couple bucks?

Anyways, I'm curious about the speakers as well. I previously owned an HTC One and loved the sound quality. I currently own a Moto X and those speakers are surprisingly crisp and loud -- very similar to HTC's. Hopefully the Nexus 5 has decent speakers on it; the Nexus 7 does so hopefully the 5 follows suit.
    Yeah 35 bucks from Verizon...

It's justa regular micro usb charger, you can find them online and even in some stores for less than a dollar....never buy stuff from the carrier store please
    Thanked by:
    UN4GTBL and kgbkny like this.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs1 View Post
    It's justa regular micro usb charger, you can find them online and even in some stores for less than a dollar....never buy stuff from the carrier store please
    I've got a charger in my bedroom, the computer bedroom, basement, truck, and 6 available at work...Sure am glad they standardized the end of the cord finally. Agree: NEVER buy anything from the carrier stores. EVER. PERIOD!!

OP: In regards to battery life, that'll be all over the map until people get them adjusted...Regardless, everyone will say it gets better after a couple of weeks...That translates to "My battery started lasting longer after a couple of weeks because I finally put the ******* phone down".
    Thanked by:
    UN4GTBL and hellomms like this.

I saw a review that said the Nexus 5 does not have dual speakers...it said the left on is a solo speaker and the right one is the mike made to look like a speaker? Can anyone with their N5 confirm? Does music only come out of one location?

EDIT: Thanks kalo for confirming one speaker.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Thanked by:
    stepaul8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HalizDad View Post
    ...That translates to "My battery started lasting longer after a couple of weeks because I finally put the ******* phone down".
    Not if you measure screen on time of specified activities. I think most review does that.

I'm surprised Google didn't send out review units a month ahead of time. It would be nice to have good reviews on the lunch day.

3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
    Thanked by:
    stepaul8 likes this.

I hope the sound is louder and of better quality than the n4. Battery life has been suspect on every nexus phone to date but hopefully the s800 will correct that.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
    Thanked by:
    stepaul8 likes this.

I really wish the battery was bigger on this phone. It would be nice to not have to charge it during the day. However, it is so easy to charge nowadays that I don't mind as much as I once did. I plan to get a wireless charger for work and home and I'll just slap it on there when not being used. If I'm in the car I have my portable charger.

I'll take the inconvenience of charging maybe 1 time per day over the increased size of this phone with a bigger battery.
    Thanked by:
    stepaul8 likes this.

I have my N7 to watch movies and I listen to music on my zune (I know, I know) so the speakers are not a big deal for me.

Thanked by:
    stepaul8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendroid1 View Post

I'll take the inconvenience of charging maybe 1 time per day over the increased size of this phone with a bigger battery.
    It should be noted that more frequent charging cycles also deplete the battery capacity quicker.

Thanked by:
    stepaul8 likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs1 View Post
    People.... If you're so worried about the charger, he admitted he didn't send me one even though it would include it.. Then he lied and didnt send it.... If it settles you down, the camera has a pink tint as well.

Chex313 likes this.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    It should be noted that more frequent charging cycles also deplete the battery capacity quicker.

Thats what they say...I have a GN here with the original battery, It seems as strong now as it was almost 2 years ago. If someone can actually keep track and prove this I would like to see it. I think they wear out after a couple of years no matter what you do. I wouldn't spend a minute worrying about it, or trying to charge less.

Most folks get a new phone and baby it.... After a year they stop worrying about it....After 2 years they use it as a hockey puck, trying to get it to break so they can say..."Look honey its broken, I don't know how it happenned! I need the Nexus 6!! "

Right now I'm back to babying my GN hockey puck, so it lasts till Tue! lol
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
    Thanked by:
    UN4GTBL, weksa, bwhick7492 and 2 others like this.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Thumbs down Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

Replied wrong. Fixed.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Actually that is not true of Lithium-Ion batteries found in modern smartphones like the nexus 5. Frequently discharging a Li-on battery is much worse than charging frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    Thats what they say...I have a GN here with the original battery, It seems as strong now as it was almost 2 years ago. If someone can actually keep track and prove this I would like to see it.
    Battery degrading due to charging cycle is not a "say", it's a fact.

Go check out battery University's data.

@T-Mobile GN3

Quote Originally Posted by just2043 View Post
    Actually that is not true of Lithium-Ion batteries found in modern smartphones like the nexus 5. Frequently discharging a Li-on battery is much worse than charging frequently.
    Read some real data here.

@T-Mobile GN3

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Battery degrading due to charging cycle is not a "say", it's a fact.

Go check out battery University's data.

@T-Mobile GN3
    I know what they say. But I also know what I see... If those were hard facts than every battery would last about the same. Yet I have batteries that die too soon and others that have literally never failed. What I'm saying is it doesn't matter how you treat a phone battery its going to die or live by the luck of the draw, not by some charging routine.

Also that article you posted list's a half dozen variables with one of the most important being what actual users report regardless of data. One of the things they mention is heat, now that one I believe, keep your batteries cool and they stand a good chance of living long.

The author of this essay does not depend on the manufacturer’s specifications alone but also listens to user comments. BatteryUniversity.comis an excellent sounding board to connect with the public and learn about reality. This approach might be unscientific, but it is genuine. When the critical mass speaks, the manufacturers listen. The voice of the multitude is in some ways stronger than laboratory tests performed in sheltered environments.

That stuff is fine to claim and attempt to do. I find its easier just to do what's easiest and buy a new phone or battery if they go dead. I have been using phones for a pretty long time 1992...Never had a battery stop working, though some have faded. Never had a phone longer than 2 years. So charge how you want when you want. Hope you get a peach...not a lemon.
    Last edited by Chex313; 11-02-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

ROM
    Stock Android 4.4 KitKat

I might invest in a battery case soon - although my initial impression is that battery life is better than on the N4.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5 16GB Black, 27" Late-2013 maxed-out iMac, iPad 2 32GB WiFi + 3G & Various iPhones from 3GS-5
    Apple and Android Fan
    Thanked by:
    stepaul8 likes this.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Speakers are nowhere near as good as the htc one but are on a par with the Galaxy S4 and Nexus 4. The battery has lasted me all day today and that's with heavy usage as it's still new and I've been playing with it a lot. It certainly seems better than the Nexus 4 but a bit worse than the Galaxy S4. It is too early to be certain though as I've had it less than 48 hrs.
    Thanked by 3:
    OffKilter and stepaul8 like this.

ROM
    Stock Android 4.4 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by pauluea View Post
    Speakers are nowhere near as good as the htc one but are on a par with the Galaxy S4 and Nexus 4. The battery has lasted me all day today and that's with heavy usage as it's still new and I've been playing with it a lot. It certainly seems better than the Nexus 4 but a bit worse than the Galaxy S4. It is too early to be certain though as I've had it less than 48 hrs.
    The HTC One is obviously sold on the premise that it has 'Beats Audio' and all that malarkey but most of the time I find myself listening to music through headphones or my iMac speakers so I seldom use the phone speakers.

The Nexus 5 is not built specifically for audio, obviously - let's face it, its a developers' phone so it's built to be fast.

Nexus 5 16GB Black, 27" Late-2013 maxed-out iMac, iPad 2 32GB WiFi + 3G & Various iPhones from 3GS-5
    Apple and Android Fan
    Thanked by:
    stepaul8 likes this.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by AaronM1 View Post
    The HTC One is obviously sold on the premise that it has 'Beats Audio' and all that malarkey but most of the time I find myself listening to music through headphones or my iMac speakers so I seldom use the phone speakers.

The Nexus 5 is not built specifically for audio, obviously - let's face it, its a developers' phone so it's built to be fast.

Yeah I use BT for sound almost 100% of the time. Maybe that would change if my phone actually had good loud sound.
    Thanked by:
    stepaul8 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast