Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
Like Tree38Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    I have an HTC One but I have to return it because the eBay seller didn't include the recharger and he said he would send me one... a month ago. I love the HTC One speakers and quite frankly I have to say they have spoiled me. What are the speakers like on the Nexus 5? Also what is the battery life like? I know that it has a bit of a bigger screen but the SnapDragon 800 seems much more battery efficient.

    Thanks for all posts!
    somdave2005 likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Not to change the subject but you couldn't go pick up a wall charger for a couple bucks?

    Anyways, I'm curious about the speakers as well. I previously owned an HTC One and loved the sound quality. I currently own a Moto X and those speakers are surprisingly crisp and loud -- very similar to HTC's. Hopefully the Nexus 5 has decent speakers on it; the Nexus 7 does so hopefully the 5 follows suit.
    kgbkny and stepaul8 like this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by stepaul8 View Post
    I have an HTC One but I have to return it because the eBay seller didn't include the recharger and he said he would send me one... a month ago. I love the HTC One speakers and quite frankly I have to say they have spoiled me. What are the speakers like on the Nexus 5? Also what is the battery life like? I know that it has a bit of a bigger screen but the SnapDragon 800 seems much more battery efficient.

    Thanks for all posts!
    Too early to tell on battery life but it always depends on your lifestyle. I have charger at work and in my car so it's never been a problem with me. How long it'll last will depend on how you use it.

    People are saying speakers are good but nothing like boom sound.

    Posted via Android Central App
    stepaul8 likes this.
  4. #4  
    kalo88's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Speakers seem ok, not the best... Better placement (on the bottom) but despite it looking like 2 it's only 1 speaker.
    stepaul8 and planoman like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say it won't be no HTC one. That and the awsome metal build is probably one of the trade offs. If your looking for good sound then you might want to spend the extra money for the one. On the flip side you get a faster/more effient proc with the n5 and wireless charging.
    stepaul8 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdane07 View Post
    Not to change the subject but you couldn't go pick up a wall charger for a couple bucks?

    Anyways, I'm curious about the speakers as well. I previously owned an HTC One and loved the sound quality. I currently own a Moto X and those speakers are surprisingly crisp and loud -- very similar to HTC's. Hopefully the Nexus 5 has decent speakers on it; the Nexus 7 does so hopefully the 5 follows suit.
    Yeah 35 bucks from Verizon...

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    It's justa regular micro usb charger, you can find them online and even in some stores for less than a dollar....never buy stuff from the carrier store please
    kgbkny, UN4GTBL and benhmadison like this.
  8. #8  
    HalizDad's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,096 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,099 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for once.

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs1 View Post
    It's justa regular micro usb charger, you can find them online and even in some stores for less than a dollar....never buy stuff from the carrier store please
    I've got a charger in my bedroom, the computer bedroom, basement, truck, and 6 available at work...Sure am glad they standardized the end of the cord finally. Agree: NEVER buy anything from the carrier stores. EVER. PERIOD!!

    OP: In regards to battery life, that'll be all over the map until people get them adjusted...Regardless, everyone will say it gets better after a couple of weeks...That translates to "My battery started lasting longer after a couple of weeks because I finally put the ******* phone down".
  9. #9  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    I saw a review that said the Nexus 5 does not have dual speakers...it said the left on is a solo speaker and the right one is the mike made to look like a speaker? Can anyone with their N5 confirm? Does music only come out of one location?

    EDIT: Thanks kalo for confirming one speaker.
    stepaul8 likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by HalizDad View Post
    ...That translates to "My battery started lasting longer after a couple of weeks because I finally put the ******* phone down".
    Not if you measure screen on time of specified activities. I think most review does that.

    I'm surprised Google didn't send out review units a month ahead of time. It would be nice to have good reviews on the lunch day.

    Posted via Android Central App
    stepaul8 likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    I hope the sound is louder and of better quality than the n4. Battery life has been suspect on every nexus phone to date but hopefully the s800 will correct that.

    Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    stepaul8 likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    I really wish the battery was bigger on this phone. It would be nice to not have to charge it during the day. However, it is so easy to charge nowadays that I don't mind as much as I once did. I plan to get a wireless charger for work and home and I'll just slap it on there when not being used. If I'm in the car I have my portable charger.

    I'll take the inconvenience of charging maybe 1 time per day over the increased size of this phone with a bigger battery.
    stepaul8 likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    I have my N7 to watch movies and I listen to music on my zune (I know, I know) so the speakers are not a big deal for me.

    Posted via Android Central App
    stepaul8 likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zendroid1 View Post
    .

    I'll take the inconvenience of charging maybe 1 time per day over the increased size of this phone with a bigger battery.
    It should be noted that more frequent charging cycles also deplete the battery capacity quicker.

    Posted via Android Central App
    stepaul8 likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs1 View Post
    It's justa regular micro usb charger, you can find them online and even in some stores for less than a dollar....never buy stuff from the carrier store please
    People.... If you're so worried about the charger, he admitted he didn't send me one even though it would include it.. Then he lied and didnt send it.... If it settles you down, the camera has a pink tint as well.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Chex313 likes this.
  16. #16  
    Chex313's Avatar

    Posts
    653 Posts
    Global Posts
    662 Global Posts
    Carrier
    6.0 Marshmallow

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    It should be noted that more frequent charging cycles also deplete the battery capacity quicker.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thats what they say...I have a GN here with the original battery, It seems as strong now as it was almost 2 years ago. If someone can actually keep track and prove this I would like to see it. I think they wear out after a couple of years no matter what you do. I wouldn't spend a minute worrying about it, or trying to charge less.

    Most folks get a new phone and baby it.... After a year they stop worrying about it....After 2 years they use it as a hockey puck, trying to get it to break so they can say..."Look honey its broken, I don't know how it happenned! I need the Nexus 6!! "

    Right now I'm back to babying my GN hockey puck, so it lasts till Tue! lol
  17. #17  
    just2043's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

    Thumbs down Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Replied wrong. Fixed.
  18. #18  
    just2043's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    It should be noted that more frequent charging cycles also deplete the battery capacity quicker.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Actually that is not true of Lithium-Ion batteries found in modern smartphones like the nexus 5. Frequently discharging a Li-on battery is much worse than charging frequently. How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way
  19. #19  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    Thats what they say...I have a GN here with the original battery, It seems as strong now as it was almost 2 years ago. If someone can actually keep track and prove this I would like to see it.
    Battery degrading due to charging cycle is not a "say", it's a fact.

    Go check out battery University's data.

    @T-Mobile GN3
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just2043 View Post
    Actually that is not true of Lithium-Ion batteries found in modern smartphones like the nexus 5. Frequently discharging a Li-on battery is much worse than charging frequently. How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way
    Read some real data here. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries


    @T-Mobile GN3
  21. #21  
    Chex313's Avatar

    Posts
    653 Posts
    Global Posts
    662 Global Posts
    Carrier
    6.0 Marshmallow

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Battery degrading due to charging cycle is not a "say", it's a fact.

    Go check out battery University's data.

    @T-Mobile GN3
    I know what they say. But I also know what I see... If those were hard facts than every battery would last about the same. Yet I have batteries that die too soon and others that have literally never failed. What I'm saying is it doesn't matter how you treat a phone battery its going to die or live by the luck of the draw, not by some charging routine.

    Also that article you posted list's a half dozen variables with one of the most important being what actual users report regardless of data. One of the things they mention is heat, now that one I believe, keep your batteries cool and they stand a good chance of living long.


    The author of this essay does not depend on the manufacturers specifications alone but also listens to user comments. BatteryUniversity.comis an excellent sounding board to connect with the public and learn about reality. This approach might be unscientific, but it is genuine. When the critical mass speaks, the manufacturers listen. The voice of the multitude is in some ways stronger than laboratory tests performed in sheltered environments.

    That stuff is fine to claim and attempt to do. I find its easier just to do what's easiest and buy a new phone or battery if they go dead. I have been using phones for a pretty long time 1992...Never had a battery stop working, though some have faded. Never had a phone longer than 2 years. So charge how you want when you want. Hope you get a peach...not a lemon.
  22. #22  
    AaronM1's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Carrier
    Stock Android 4.4 KitKat

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    I might invest in a battery case soon - although my initial impression is that battery life is better than on the N4.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    stepaul8 likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Speakers are nowhere near as good as the htc one but are on a par with the Galaxy S4 and Nexus 4. The battery has lasted me all day today and that's with heavy usage as it's still new and I've been playing with it a lot. It certainly seems better than the Nexus 4 but a bit worse than the Galaxy S4. It is too early to be certain though as I've had it less than 48 hrs.
  24. #24  
    AaronM1's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Carrier
    Stock Android 4.4 KitKat

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by pauluea View Post
    Speakers are nowhere near as good as the htc one but are on a par with the Galaxy S4 and Nexus 4. The battery has lasted me all day today and that's with heavy usage as it's still new and I've been playing with it a lot. It certainly seems better than the Nexus 4 but a bit worse than the Galaxy S4. It is too early to be certain though as I've had it less than 48 hrs.
    The HTC One is obviously sold on the premise that it has 'Beats Audio' and all that malarkey but most of the time I find myself listening to music through headphones or my iMac speakers so I seldom use the phone speakers.

    The Nexus 5 is not built specifically for audio, obviously - let's face it, its a developers' phone so it's built to be fast.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    stepaul8 likes this.
  25. #25  
    Chex313's Avatar

    Posts
    653 Posts
    Global Posts
    662 Global Posts
    Carrier
    6.0 Marshmallow

    Default Re: How are the speakers and battery life on the Nexus 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronM1 View Post
    The HTC One is obviously sold on the premise that it has 'Beats Audio' and all that malarkey but most of the time I find myself listening to music through headphones or my iMac speakers so I seldom use the phone speakers.

    The Nexus 5 is not built specifically for audio, obviously - let's face it, its a developers' phone so it's built to be fast.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Yeah I use BT for sound almost 100% of the time. Maybe that would change if my phone actually had good loud sound.
    stepaul8 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-01-2013, 12:34 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 01:50 AM
  3. Motions and gestures icon not showing in my device
    By Owais Khan3 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 12:08 AM
  4. Cool Shell/Holster combo (not the Verizon one)
    By VideoEngineerAJS in forum Verizon LG G2
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 11:46 PM

Posting Permissions