Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By angry english
  • 1 Post By qnet
  • 1 Post By NoYankees44
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default This maybe the 1st phone I never root

I've rooted religiously since the first galaxy s phone, when I got the nexus 4 I automatically rooted it because it was 2nd nature and what you should do.... When 4.3 hit I was aboug to root again then I stopped and was thinking, the only thing I used with root on the N4 was install aosp browser, then they released a no root version, so since the n4 I've been rootless..... If I can get aosp browser on the 5 I really don't see why I would need to root, high chance of it stock unmoddified

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Robbie317 and TheDoctor 46 like this.

I rarely flash anymore, but there are several reasons to still root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Default Re: This maybe the 1st phone I never root

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    I rarely flash anymore, but there are several reasons to still root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Haven't read the whole thing but it's funny how stock does really all the important things on the first page now. It's the reason I haven't found a need to root for a while now.

Friend of mine says he has to root but really doesn't give a reason other than it's a requirement if you have a Nexus.

I'll check or the rest of those articles to see if I have to. But I'm with the OP ATM. Android has gotten to the point out of the box that has everything I need.

- Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yeah have used a lot of those apps as I used to root no matter what, what I'm Finding nowadays is that for most things I need or want I can find it in the app store, titanium was always handy but isn't this feature now in 4.4 with back ups to drive? The only reason I rooted my N7 FHD was to tinker hoping to find fixes for the multi touch issue and lag, right now other than asop browser I have no reason to root

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

There were 2 apps I rooted my Nexus 7 for: Titanium backup and stickmount. I know there are some options now to Titanium that allow backup so I'll probably check those out. Not sure about stick mount.
    Greetings, program!

Global Posts
    1,258 Global Posts
    ROM
    rooted Nexus 5

I'll root so I can put in Titanium Backup, though the thought of not rooting has crossed my mind too. :-)

Posted via the awesomest of awesome Android Central App
    Google Nexus 5--rooted
    HTC Nexus One--my first Android (still alive and kicking)
    HP TouchPad--dual-boot and ported CM10.1
    Pebble smartwatch
    Nike+ SportWatch GPS
    MacBook Pro--guilty pleasure

The Development Community is what makes me root. I'm excited to see what they have in store for the Nexus 5

Screen color correction and Greenify. That's about it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    1,678 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

The only reason I root most of my phones is to put stock Android on it, so I probably won't be rooting the nexus 5 either, at least not for a while. There are some things I like about Cyanogenmod & AOKP but Android 4.4 is so new, I'd like to use it for awhile.
    digink#AC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by angry english View Post
    I've rooted religiously since the first galaxy s phone, when I got the nexus 4 I automatically rooted it because it was 2nd nature and what you should do.... When 4.3 hit I was aboug to root again then I stopped and was thinking, the only thing I used with root on the N4 was install aosp browser, then they released a no root version, so since the n4 I've been rootless..... If I can get aosp browser on the 5 I really don't see why I would need to root, high chance of it stock unmoddified

lol... I was thinking the same thing when they announced the N5.... I've rooted every Android phone I've owned except the N1 I had what feels like ages ago.... Both my original EVO and the EVO LTE plus my current GS3 were rooted... and mostly to remove Sense and Touchwiz plus the bloatware. I almost never used the hot spot "FREE" feature after awhile even with my Nexus 7 in tow... Almost everywhere you go now a days has some sort of "Free Wi-Fi" to latch onto.... I might root the N5 after I get it just depending on what I think needs to be changed.. but I highly doubt I would flash any other ROM on there... Having the N1 is what made me root and flash in the first place.... To get back to that Stock android feel....

Honestly the nexus 5 may be the first phone I root. A friend rooted my original Captivate but I installed the new launcher on my s3 and I didn't like how the app drawer looked so I'm considering rooting and going back to 4.3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Screen color correction and Greenify. That's about it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    +1
    Greenify alone is worth having root access. For a Nexus device, the effort needed to gain that is almost nothing. A caveman or chimpanzee can do it while sleeping.

I also use AdAway. And although Adblock Plus doesn't require root, it is more effective with it.

I usually have a few weeks of not rooting then I get bored and root and do some kind of custom ROM.

ROM
    Viper

Do you like your pizza with no toppings?

Root is not about making a device "acceptable" anymore. It is about making the device better. More satisfying. More suited for your needs.

The root world is full or amazing features and tweaks. Your phone can be whatever you want it to be. To deny yourself that ability on a device that was made specifically for all the fun the development community has to offer is, to me, a tragedy.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    gone down south likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Do you like your pizza with no toppings?

Root is not about making a device "acceptable" anymore. It is about making the device better. More satisfying. More suited for your needs.

The root world is full or amazing features and tweaks. Your phone can be whatever you want it to be. To deny yourself that ability on a device that was made specifically for all the fun the development community has to offer is, to me, a tragedy.
    Bud..... I'm not some noob who's just walked into the world of android, I'm well aware of custom roms and such, but as I've got older I've become less bothered with theming and tweaks that don't really make much of a difference in everyday use, what's wrong with liking plain old android with no bloat, I don't see how it's a tragedy, I've just bought a phone that is as fast as anything, high end specs and all for $399, because I'm not going to root (or unlikely) im wasting a Nexus? So what would you suggest? Maybe I spend $600+ and get me some bloated touchwiz?

Greetings, program!

Global Posts
    1,258 Global Posts
    ROM
    rooted Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie317 View Post
    Having the N1 is what made me root and flash in the first place.... To get back to that Stock android feel....
    Ditto. My first Android phone was the Nexus One too (never rooted), and I've rooted and flashed everything else since to get the stock Android experience.
    Google Nexus 5--rooted
    Pebble smartwatch
    Nike+ SportWatch GPS

I don't know. I've rooted all of my previous phones, but I've never had a Nexus before. Still, I'm realizing as I'm carry the N5 with me for the last few days that, apparently, a lot of stuff I thought was in stock Android was actually in the Cyanogenmod I'd been using. I'm probably going to root at some point, but I'm going to need some time to see which things are just different from the upgrade to 4.4 and what's different because I was using Cyanogenmod.
    Greetings, program!

Global Posts
    1,258 Global Posts
    ROM
    rooted Nexus 5

I did end up rooting mine not long after I made my last post. I did it for Titanium Backup and Nova Launcher.
    Google Nexus 5--rooted
    Pebble smartwatch
    Nike+ SportWatch GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    I did end up rooting mine not long after I made my last post. I did it for Titanium Backup and Nova Launcher.
    Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm contemplating learning how to root on my nexus 5 to install some apps like greenify. But what does Nova Launcher have to do with root?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Greetings, program!

Global Posts
    1,258 Global Posts
    ROM
    rooted Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi217 View Post
    But what does Nova Launcher have to do with root?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Normally, you can download Nova Launcher without root access. For those that are rooted, what it does is displays widgets that normally you wouldn't see in the app drawer.
    Google Nexus 5--rooted
    Pebble smartwatch
    Nike+ SportWatch GPS