Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 24252627
Like Tree262Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Re: Nexus 5 is better than the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by alexlam24 View Post
    Buy a Moto X then. LTE isn't a requirement since HSPA+ is fast enough. My phone runs on HSPA+ and I see no difference besides speed tests. 4
    I agree. LTE is nice, but I am not seeing a huge speed difference between LTE and HSPA+ on most stuff. I only even notice it on large downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    That makes two of us.

I almost certainly will be buying a nexus 6. Unless a good 3rd party vanilla alternative surfaces. I'm not holding my breath.

Even if I upgrade only once a year benchmarks will still matter to me. Every phone I have ever had has slowed down under load as time went on. Thats why I want surplus horesepower.
    Not sure you have to worry about that anymore unless you plan on keeping a phone for 2+ years, but okay. To each their own.

Global Posts
    7,218 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Then how come Google's own support page lists the 2013 Nexus 7 as having a Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU and an Adreno 320 GPU?

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3247662?hl=en

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    To avoid confusion (ironic) with the S600 which is officially clocked at or above 1.7GHz. The Nexus 7 is underclocked at 1.5GHz, but it's the same exact components. The S4 Pro of the previous generation had Krait 200s (in the Nexus 4, etc) and a different kind of RAM.

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Keep the discussion on-topic and the language appropriate. Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Thats never been the appeal for me. There are lots of phones you can get off contract. There is nothing better with Vanilla Android though. Thats why I buy Nexus.
    assuming you meant this in terms of your own preference. Personally I view 2013 as the year in which OEM's really brought their 'A' game when it comes to cool features. I still prefer my N7 to anything that's come out on tablets so far though.

I agree. LTE is nice, but I am not seeing a huge speed difference between LTE and HSPA+ on most stuff. I only even notice it on large downloads.
    LTE does matter - depending on your coverage area and how good your provider is of course. The area I live in has quite weak LTE speeds, although very strong where I work. But in most cases where you have weak LTE speeds that can be matched by HSPA+, that applies to download speeds. In those same areas, LTE upload speed is significantly faster than HSPA+. This has an obvious impact on tasks such as uploading to Dropbox and sending email. But upload bandwidth is also consumed with each item seen on a Web page. To download a Web page or the individual elements, the device must first send a request to download. This represents only a fraction of the overall bandwidth necessary for browsing the Web, which is why providers sell services with upload speeds a fraction of the download speeds.

Many modern apps place a greater demand on upload bandwidth than in the past. Online, real-time games for example require constant two-way communication to update your device on what's happening in the game world and to tell others what you're doing within the game world. Video calling Apps like Skype and Hangouts also demand higher upload and download bandwidth during a call, or stuttering will occur. If you're using your phone as a mobile hotspot, the more the better as well.

On Sprint I have higher upload bw than download. If I'm lucky I get about 1.5MB per minute. That's if I'm really lucky. But I get maybe twice that up. I'll have to look at my speed test again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

This is what I am worried about is both me and my friend that I am buying the phone for are with Metro PCS that was the first network with voLTE in the USA. We are all moving by 2015 from Metro to T-Mobile but voLTE was a the plan between their CDMA and GSM towers. The Moto G is HSPA+ only.

Metro is selling the LG F6 for $199 and the F3 for $149 that are both LTE that is a no brainer that it works on both Metro and T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    This is what I am worried about is both me and my friend that I am buying the phone for are with Metro PCS that was the first network with voLTE in the USA. We are all moving by 2015 from Metro to T-Mobile but voLTE was a the plan between their CDMA and GSM towers. The Moto G is only HSPA+ only.

Metro is selling the LG f6 for $199 and the F3 for $149 that are both LTE.
    I have the f7 and I think the f6 is very similar. It's a nice phone and people who've gotten either one are very happy with them. I was really happy with my f7 until I got my n5 and I still like my f7 but now I do notice the lag on it because there's no lag on the n5.

Your friend should be really pleased with either one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    They didn't pay Qualcomm royalties to use S600. Besides its not classed as a S600 since its under clocked.

Posted via Android Central App
    Oh please that doesn't fly technically Google says the 2013 Nexus 7 is powered by the S4 Pro. Google says the 2013 Nexus 7 is using the S4 Pro not the 600 what part of this do you not understand? Qualcomm is the only manufacture that makes the S4 Pro and the Snapdragon 600 and 800. There are 15 versions of just the S4. There are no royalties since Google is buying Qualcomm CPU processor and then putting them into their phones. This is just like Intel that makes CPU and HP, Dell, Asus, Gateway, Lenova and many more laptop manufactures buy to install in their product.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts

Oh please that doesn't fly technically Google says the 2013 Nexus 7 is powered by the S4 Pro. Google says the 2013 Nexus 7 is using the S4 Pro not the 600 what part of this do you not understand? Qualcomm is the only manufacture that makes the S4 Pro and the Snapdragon 600 and 800. There are 15 versions of just the S4. There are no royalties since Google is buying Qualcomm CPU processor and then putting them into their phones. This is just like Intel that makes CPU and HP, Dell, Asus, Gateway, Lenova and many more laptop manufactures buy to install in their product.
    The Nexus 7 uses an under clocked S600

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    The Nexus 7 uses an under clocked S600

Sorry you are wrong that isn't what Google Play or Qualcomm says that is clearly stated on Google Play Specs as a the Nexus 7 2013 is running the S4 Pro.

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I know this may seem anti-silicon but I'm not so concerned with what chip the devices have. They're either more than fast enough or not.

The '13 Nexus 7 is in the former category, as are all the other top tier devices this year.

OptimuS G Pro
    Live long and prosper.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts

Sorry you are wrong that isn't what Google Play or Qualcomm says that is clearly stated on Google Play Specs as a the Nexus 7 2013 is running the S4 Pro.
    No it isn't.

"Although we originally assumed this would be a quad-core Krait 200 based SoC, Brian's teardown revealed the part number 8064-1AA. What's special about that part number is it implies newer Krait 300 cores, making the SoC effectively a Snapdragon 600.

The CPU cores can run at up to 1.5GHz, putting it a bit lower than what we've seen from Snapdragon 600 based phones (e.g. HTC One tops out at 1.7GHz, while the US SGS4 hits 1.9GHz)"- Aanandtech- http://www.anandtech.com/show/7231/t...-2013-review/3

[post edited by moderator]

Global Posts
    7,218 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Right, but as explained earlier the reason they are calling it an S4 Pro is because it is not clocked at or above 1.7 GHz. We assume they did this for power savings, however I've never seen a Googler state that. The SoC is the exact same pieces configured exactly the same way as the S600 with the sole difference being the clock speed.

2-3 minutes with Google Search will net numerous explanations from reviewers of the distinction being solely .2 GHz in the clock speed, not a chip difference.

In analogy form, this is like buying two 2014 Ford Mustangs and governing one at 150 kpm. It doesn't make it "not a Mustang", but one that's theoretical speeds are slightly less than the one right next to it. In the real world, neither will probably ever exceed 135 kpm for most users, so it really couldn't matter less to most people. It's not like one has a V6 and the other has a V8. They're identical except for the top speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I know this may seem anti-silicon but I'm not so concerned with what chip the devices have. They're either more than fast enough or not.

The '13 Nexus 7 is in the former category, as are all the other top tier devices this year.
    Many people are in the exact same position, wondering exactly how long ago it was that the rate of diminishing returns on silicon became so stark that differences lie only in an execution and even then, primarily inhabit a theoretical realm.

It is you that are wrong. The Nexus 7 uses a non-binned S600 processor. It is the same as the processor in the S4 and One, but because it is not exactly the same (not clocked as fast), Qualcomm has branded it as an S4 pro. It is NOT an S4 pro though.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    It is you that are wrong. The Nexus 7 uses a non-binned S600 processor. It is the same as the processor in the S4 and One, but because it is not exactly the same (not clocked as fast), Qualcomm has branded it as an S4 pro. It is NOT an S4 pro though.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    Hopefully, this is not as important to either of you as your posts would have some believe. Happy Thanksgivings!
    Live long and prosper.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts

Hopefully, this is not as important to either of you as your posts would have some believe. Happy Thanksgivings!
    Its kinda important to me as some of his posts were rather rude and conceding besides its the holidays and I have nothing better to do:P

I'm letting it go... Since it was never a major point to start with, that I just listed the 2013 Nexus 7 CPU that is on the official Google Play store site.
    Banned

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts

SCREW THIS THREAD NOKIA 3310 FTW

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile
    Thanked by 2:
    tippmann15 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

Fast enough for what? You can have a system that is plenty fast for email but really slow for games or Internet.

Fast enough for what? You can have a system that is plenty fast for email but really slow for games or Internet.
    Dude. You love complicating things. I doubt he's talking about it being fast enough for one aspect of ownership. Let's move this thread along and assume he's talking about it being fast enough to operate anything that people use smart phones for. Come on.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    Dude. You love complicating things. I doubt he's talking about it being fast enough for one aspect of ownership. Let's move this thread along and assume he's talking about it being fast enough to operate anything that people use smart phones for. Come on.
    And what do people use smartphones for?

I use mine mostly for IM, Email, photos and web browsing. A phone that is great for my needs might suck for someone who wants a phone for games. "Fast enough" depends on what you're using it for IMO.

And what do people use smartphones for?

I use mine mostly for IM, Email, photos and web browsing. A phone that is great for my needs might suck for someone who wants a phone for games. "Fast enough" depends on what you're using it for IMO.
    True, but we aren't talking about a T-Mobile Mytouch here. We're talking about very capable devices that are out right now. In time, EVERY device will be slow. But for now, it's obvious that a device that can operate a game well, also wil be able to handle email, web browsing, and the calculator. You're so focused on splitting hairs to make your point, that logic has long since been surrendered. And when I say "fast enough for what people use smartphones for", i'm referring to EVERYTHING. Not 3 specific things you do as opposed to 3 specific things I do. No device released in the last 8 months will be able to handle massive games, and then struggle to send an email.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 24252627