Nexus 5 is better than the iPhone.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Thats never been the appeal for me. There are lots of phones you can get off contract. There is nothing better with Vanilla Android though. Thats why I buy Nexus.

Exactly. The Moto G is almost half the price of the Nexus. Off contract is not the main reason to buy a Nexus IMO. It's just a bonus.

Not even sure why you responded. I said "part of the appeal". It makes it easier to buy another phone a year later, which just so happens to be the release schedule they follow. I'll be very curious to see which of you will have the Nexus 6 (or whatever they call it) considering this year promises to bring higher res screens, possibly IGZO, and RAM/CPU/GPU bumps that will support 64-bit. Considering how into benchmarks you are, I'd be very surprised to see you pass it up.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
With 4.4, the Nexus 4 will still be plenty fast at the end of 2014. So will the Moto X. If you choose to not believe the latter, that's fine.

Again all you are saying it is fast enough for your needs. I would bet some gamers wouldn't agree with you. I'm buying a phone that I hope to be using in 2016 and maybe 2017 and the faster Snapdragon 800 is giving me the most future-proofing with new Android OS updates. I don't buy a new car, laptop, tablet or phone every year just because it has some minor improvement.

I have a old 2007 Sharp 55" LCD HDTV that I started looking at the store yesterday at a new TV with Black Friday deals. The first thing my wife said what is wrong with our TV? My reply to her was it is over 6 years old and even I realized it was a lame argument since it still has a good enough picture that I can't see any differences. It all comes down to I want a Smart TV but I can't justify one to the wife since that $35 Chromecast made my dumb HDTV smart enough.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Again all you are saying it is fast enough for your needs. I would bet some gamers wouldn't agree with you. I'm buying a phone that I hope to be using in 2016 and maybe 2017 and the faster Snapdragon 800 is giving me the most future-proofing with new Android OS updates. I don't buy a new car, laptop, tablet or phone every year just because it has some minor improvement.

I have a old 2007 Sharp 55" LCD HDTV that I started looking at the store yesterday at a new TV with Black Friday deals. The first thing my wife said what is wrong with our TV? My reply to her was it is over 6 years old and even I realized it was a lame argument since it still has a good enough picture that I can't see any differences. It all comes down to I want a Smart TV but I can't justify one to the wife since that $35 Chromecast made my dumb HDTV smart enough.

I'm sure some gamers wouldn't agree with me. They'll also probably buy another phone in 2014.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure some gamers wouldn't agree with me. They'll also probably buy another phone in 2014.

Unfortunately, I have the sickness. I can't even imagine how many phones I'll buy in 2014 before I settle on my favorites for the year. I'm pretty satisfied with my current picks though. I love experiencing first hand how technology is progressing. It's neat that phones and tablets have assumed much of the duty I used to rely on a computer for.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I have the sickness. I can't even imagine how many phones I'll buy in 2014 before I settle on my favorites for the year. I'm pretty satisfied with my current picks though. I love experiencing first hand how technology is progressing. It's neat that phones and tablets have assumed much of the duty I used to rely on a computer for.

My point is that 2014 is going to be a substantial jump. I've mentioned this several times already, but the inclusion of IGZO displays from Sharp is going to make a drastic difference in power efficiency. This is where phones are going to be able to remain as small as the Nexus 5, include larger batteries, and have more on-screen time as a result of the display tech.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Thats never been the appeal for me. There are lots of phones you can get off contract. There is nothing better with Vanilla Android though. Thats why I buy Nexus.

Exactly. The Moto G is almost half the price of the Nexus. Off contract is not the main reason to buy a Nexus IMO. It's just a bonus.

The Moto G has one major downside to me in the LTE department. To keep the price as low as it is, Motorola had to make a cut somewhere. That cut involved leaving out an LTE radio and I am having a hard time buying that phone as a gift for a friend when the LG F6 has LTE at about the same price from Metro PCS.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
The Moto G has one major downside to me in the LTE department. To keep the price as low as it is, Motorola had to make a cut somewhere. That cut involved leaving out an LTE radio and I am having a hard time buying that phone as a gift for a friend when the LG F6 has LTE at about the same price from Metro PCS.

Buy a Moto X then. LTE isn't a requirement since HSPA+ is fast enough. My phone runs on HSPA+ and I see no difference besides speed tests.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Buy a Moto X then. LTE isn't a requirement since HSPA+ is fast enough. My phone runs on HSPA+ and I see no difference besides speed tests.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4

I have a new Nexus 5 for my use. I am looking to spend about $200 or less to buy a long time friend a phone that house burned down and he lost everything. Thanks for the info on HSPA+ speed. I had read that the Moto G wasn't going to be available in the USA till 2014 so this it the first time it became a option as a Christmas present.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Not even sure why you responded.
That makes two of us.

I'll be very curious to see which of you will have the Nexus 6 (or whatever they call it) considering this year promises to bring higher res screens, possibly IGZO, and RAM/CPU/GPU bumps that will support 64-bit.
I almost certainly will be buying a nexus 6. Unless a good 3rd party vanilla alternative surfaces. I'm not holding my breath.

Considering how into benchmarks you are, I'd be very surprised to see you pass it up.
Even if I upgrade only once a year benchmarks will still matter to me. Every phone I have ever had has slowed down under load as time went on. Thats why I want surplus horesepower.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Buy a Moto X then. LTE isn't a requirement since HSPA+ is fast enough. My phone runs on HSPA+ and I see no difference besides speed tests. 4
I agree. LTE is nice, but I am not seeing a huge speed difference between LTE and HSPA+ on most stuff. I only even notice it on large downloads.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
That makes two of us.

I almost certainly will be buying a nexus 6. Unless a good 3rd party vanilla alternative surfaces. I'm not holding my breath.

Even if I upgrade only once a year benchmarks will still matter to me. Every phone I have ever had has slowed down under load as time went on. Thats why I want surplus horesepower.

Not sure you have to worry about that anymore unless you plan on keeping a phone for 2+ years, but okay. To each their own.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Then how come Google's own support page lists the 2013 Nexus 7 as having a Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU and an Adreno 320 GPU?

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3247662?hl=en

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To avoid confusion (ironic) with the S600 which is officially clocked at or above 1.7GHz. The Nexus 7 is underclocked at 1.5GHz, but it's the same exact components. The S4 Pro of the previous generation had Krait 200s (in the Nexus 4, etc) and a different kind of RAM.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

assuming you meant this in terms of your own preference. Personally I view 2013 as the year in which OEM's really brought their 'A' game when it comes to cool features. I still prefer my N7 to anything that's come out on tablets so far though.

I agree. LTE is nice, but I am not seeing a huge speed difference between LTE and HSPA+ on most stuff. I only even notice it on large downloads.

LTE does matter - depending on your coverage area and how good your provider is of course. The area I live in has quite weak LTE speeds, although very strong where I work. But in most cases where you have weak LTE speeds that can be matched by HSPA+, that applies to download speeds. In those same areas, LTE upload speed is significantly faster than HSPA+. This has an obvious impact on tasks such as uploading to Dropbox and sending email. But upload bandwidth is also consumed with each item seen on a Web page. To download a Web page or the individual elements, the device must first send a request to download. This represents only a fraction of the overall bandwidth necessary for browsing the Web, which is why providers sell services with upload speeds a fraction of the download speeds.

Many modern apps place a greater demand on upload bandwidth than in the past. Online, real-time games for example require constant two-way communication to update your device on what's happening in the game world and to tell others what you're doing within the game world. Video calling Apps like Skype and Hangouts also demand higher upload and download bandwidth during a call, or stuttering will occur. If you're using your phone as a mobile hotspot, the more the better as well.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
On Sprint I have higher upload bw than download. If I'm lucky I get about 1.5MB per minute. That's if I'm really lucky. But I get maybe twice that up. I'll have to look at my speed test again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

This is what I am worried about is both me and my friend that I am buying the phone for are with Metro PCS that was the first network with voLTE in the USA. We are all moving by 2015 from Metro to T-Mobile but voLTE was a the plan between their CDMA and GSM towers. The Moto G is HSPA+ only.

Metro is selling the LG F6 for $199 and the F3 for $149 that are both LTE that is a no brainer that it works on both Metro and T-Mobile.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
This is what I am worried about is both me and my friend that I am buying the phone for are with Metro PCS that was the first network with voLTE in the USA. We are all moving by 2015 from Metro to T-Mobile but voLTE was a the plan between their CDMA and GSM towers. The Moto G is only HSPA+ only.

Metro is selling the LG f6 for $199 and the F3 for $149 that are both LTE.

I have the f7 and I think the f6 is very similar. It's a nice phone and people who've gotten either one are very happy with them. I was really happy with my f7 until I got my n5 and I still like my f7 but now I do notice the lag on it because there's no lag on the n5.

Your friend should be really pleased with either one. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
They didn't pay Qualcomm royalties to use S600. Besides its not classed as a S600 since its under clocked.

Posted via Android Central App

Oh please that doesn't fly technically Google says the 2013 Nexus 7 is powered by the S4 Pro. Google says the 2013 Nexus 7 is using the S4 Pro not the 600 what part of this do you not understand? Qualcomm is the only manufacture that makes the S4 Pro and the Snapdragon 600 and 800. There are 15 versions of just the S4. There are no royalties since Google is buying Qualcomm CPU processor and then putting them into their phones. This is just like Intel that makes CPU and HP, Dell, Asus, Gateway, Lenova and many more laptop manufactures buy to install in their product.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh please that doesn't fly technically Google says the 2013 Nexus 7 is powered by the S4 Pro. Google says the 2013 Nexus 7 is using the S4 Pro not the 600 what part of this do you not understand? Qualcomm is the only manufacture that makes the S4 Pro and the Snapdragon 600 and 800. There are 15 versions of just the S4. There are no royalties since Google is buying Qualcomm CPU processor and then putting them into their phones. This is just like Intel that makes CPU and HP, Dell, Asus, Gateway, Lenova and many more laptop manufactures buy to install in their product.

The Nexus 7 uses an under clocked S600

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown