Nexus 5 is better than the iPhone.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I know this may seem anti-silicon but I'm not so concerned with what chip the devices have. They're either more than fast enough or not.

The '13 Nexus 7 is in the former category, as are all the other top tier devices this year.

OptimuS G Pro

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry you are wrong that isn't what Google Play or Qualcomm says that is clearly stated on Google Play Specs as a the Nexus 7 2013 is running the S4 Pro.
No it isn't.

"Although we originally assumed this would be a quad-core Krait 200 based SoC, Brian's teardown revealed the part number 8064-1AA. What's special about that part number is it implies newer Krait 300 cores, making the SoC effectively a Snapdragon 600.

The CPU cores can run at up to 1.5GHz, putting it a bit lower than what we've seen from Snapdragon 600 based phones (e.g. HTC One tops out at 1.7GHz, while the US SGS4 hits 1.9GHz)"- Aanandtech- http://www.anandtech.com/show/7231/the-nexus-7-2013-review/3

[post edited by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry you are wrong that isn't what Google Play or Qualcomm says that is clearly stated on Google Play Specs as a the Nexus 7 2013 is running the S4 Pro.

Right, but as explained earlier the reason they are calling it an S4 Pro is because it is not clocked at or above 1.7 GHz. We assume they did this for power savings, however I've never seen a Googler state that. The SoC is the exact same pieces configured exactly the same way as the S600 with the sole difference being the clock speed.

2-3 minutes with Google Search will net numerous explanations from reviewers of the distinction being solely .2 GHz in the clock speed, not a chip difference.

In analogy form, this is like buying two 2014 Ford Mustangs and governing one at 150 kpm. It doesn't make it "not a Mustang", but one that's theoretical speeds are slightly less than the one right next to it. In the real world, neither will probably ever exceed 135 kpm for most users, so it really couldn't matter less to most people. It's not like one has a V6 and the other has a V8. They're identical except for the top speed.

I know this may seem anti-silicon but I'm not so concerned with what chip the devices have. They're either more than fast enough or not.

The '13 Nexus 7 is in the former category, as are all the other top tier devices this year.

Many people are in the exact same position, wondering exactly how long ago it was that the rate of diminishing returns on silicon became so stark that differences lie only in an execution and even then, primarily inhabit a theoretical realm.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

It is you that are wrong. The Nexus 7 uses a non-binned S600 processor. It is the same as the processor in the S4 and One, but because it is not exactly the same (not clocked as fast), Qualcomm has branded it as an S4 pro. It is NOT an S4 pro though.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

It is you that are wrong. The Nexus 7 uses a non-binned S600 processor. It is the same as the processor in the S4 and One, but because it is not exactly the same (not clocked as fast), Qualcomm has branded it as an S4 pro. It is NOT an S4 pro though.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Hopefully, this is not as important to either of you as your posts would have some believe. Happy Thanksgivings!

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully, this is not as important to either of you as your posts would have some believe. Happy Thanksgivings!

Its kinda important to me as some of his posts were rather rude and conceding besides its the holidays and I have nothing better to do:p

Posted via Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I'm letting it go... Since it was never a major point to start with, that I just listed the 2013 Nexus 7 CPU that is on the official Google Play store site.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Fast enough for what? You can have a system that is plenty fast for email but really slow for games or Internet.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Fast enough for what? You can have a system that is plenty fast for email but really slow for games or Internet.

Dude. You love complicating things. I doubt he's talking about it being fast enough for one aspect of ownership. Let's move this thread along and assume he's talking about it being fast enough to operate anything that people use smart phones for. Come on.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Dude. You love complicating things. I doubt he's talking about it being fast enough for one aspect of ownership. Let's move this thread along and assume he's talking about it being fast enough to operate anything that people use smart phones for. Come on.
And what do people use smartphones for?

I use mine mostly for IM, Email, photos and web browsing. A phone that is great for my needs might suck for someone who wants a phone for games. "Fast enough" depends on what you're using it for IMO.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And what do people use smartphones for?

I use mine mostly for IM, Email, photos and web browsing. A phone that is great for my needs might suck for someone who wants a phone for games. "Fast enough" depends on what you're using it for IMO.

True, but we aren't talking about a T-Mobile Mytouch here. We're talking about very capable devices that are out right now. In time, EVERY device will be slow. But for now, it's obvious that a device that can operate a game well, also wil be able to handle email, web browsing, and the calculator. You're so focused on splitting hairs to make your point, that logic has long since been surrendered. And when I say "fast enough for what people use smartphones for", i'm referring to EVERYTHING. Not 3 specific things you do as opposed to 3 specific things I do. No device released in the last 8 months will be able to handle massive games, and then struggle to send an email.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463