Nexus 5 camera

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
So for those who have one already, is the camera the notional update the reviews are claiming rather than a significant improvement? Really keen to move from my 4 to a 5 but the camera is my prime concern.

Cheers

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I admittingly haven't read all the reviews but I'd be surprised if the camera wasn't at least as good as the Nexus 4's...being made by the same company and all.

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm reading improvement but still saturated and mid range. That would stop me moving to the 5 from my 4

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
this is the point the stopped me from ordering it right away. I have a SG3, and i can?t stand it anymore. Still for a phone it has a darn good camera, which could be even better if the phone wouldn?t be so slippery (and I have a non glossy cover on top). I ll wait for a serious camera test..

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So for those who have one already, is the camera the notional update the reviews are claiming rather than a significant improvement? Really keen to move from my 4 to a 5 but the camera is my prime concern.

Cheers

Several site have pictures and video posted. Just looked through the pics on CNET's hands on. Looks pretty good, but in all seriousness anything would be better than the thing they call a camera on the Nexus 4. It was the very reason I punted my Nexus 4 a few months after getting it.

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Well I have to ditch my N4. Hands down best phone I have ever owned but I need a better camera. For me it's GS4 or N5. I don't expect the camera to be as good as the GS4 but I has to be as good as the iPhone 4s I had before I got my N4. Really hoping the N5 is up to it because I love stock Android.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Several site have pictures and video posted. Just looked through the pics on CNET's hands on. Looks pretty good, but in all seriousness anything would be better than the thing they call a camera on the Nexus 4. It was the very reason I punted my Nexus 4 a few months after getting it.
Its the photographer....I have seen stellar pics in the N4 pic thread on this very site. The pics I get out of both my GN and N4 are great. Thats in good light a steady hand and some time to focus. I think if you want good quick pics with no effort...well thats only the iphone 5 and above. I just think if you care that much about pics than use a crappy SLR. It will stomp the crap out of even the 1020.

I always take the kid's i5 with me to the Att store to compare. It's laughable how much better last years i5 was compared to either the HTC One or the S4. Thats for quick fast autofocus pics. This years 5S when I played with is just stellar! Don't care for ios or the phone but they sure know how to build an autofocus camera.

N4 Pic thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/225816-photos-taken-your-nexus-4-camera.html

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Its the photographer....I have seen stellar pics in the N4 pic thread on this very site. The pics I get out of both my GN and N4 are great. Thats in good light a steady hand and some time to focus. I think if you want good quick pics with no effort...well thats only the iphone 5 and above. I just think if you care that much about pics than use a crappy SLR. It will stomp the crap out of even the 1020.

I always take the kid's i5 with me to the Att store to compare. It's laughable how much better last years i5 was compared to either the HTC One or the S4. Thats for quick fast autofocus pics. This years 5S when I played with is just stellar! Don't care for ios or the phone but they sure know how to build an autofocus camera.

N4 Pic thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/225816-photos-taken-your-nexus-4-camera.html

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring the DSLR in. I do not want to carry a DSLR...I want my phone to be able to take a decent pic in pretty much all conditions that are at least not a big mess. Good for you and your N4...it did not meet my standards, so I got rid of it. Also have a iphone 5.

I am pretty confident that one of the universal dings on the N4 is the crappy camera so I am hardly alone in that criticism. The point is moot for me, I have moved on. Glad the Nexus 5 is looking better in the camera department.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
From the Droid X forward, look at any of the phone's forum camera shots thread and you'll find great images and terrible images. Every phone out there is capable of getting good shots. The problem is there are a lot of bad photographers that love to blame the phone and post about it. Until you put an adjustable f stop/telescoping zoom lens with a sizable sensor on a cell phone, you will never have a camera that can rival a decent point and shoot. It's like complaining about a .22 rifle not performing well at 300 yards.

If you want better cell phone shots, try adding that Samsung camera lens to the back (of any cell phone). The reviews looked great.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It has a fairly decent camera. Comparable to the iPhone 5S I'd say. Good low-light performance and overall sharp and detailed pictures. The downside seems to be the slow AF speed (at least in mine) and the sub-par dynamic range.

jeremydc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I spent the extra dough just for the camera on the Iphone 5s. I'm in Korea and take a lot of auto focus shots. I had a N4 and tbh the camera is crap. It got to the point where I would ask friends who had the 4s to take the shots and send it to me.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I spent the extra dough just for the camera on the Iphone 5s. I'm in Korea and take a lot of auto focus shots. I had a N4 and tbh the camera is crap. It got to the point where I would ask friends who had the 4s to take the shots and send it to me.

The N4's camera was / is absolutely abysmal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2