Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 Available at Best Buy...not good

I see this morning that the Nexus 5 can be preordered at Best Buy now, for Sprint. It is listed at $150 with contract, and $800 off contract. This is a huge disappointment, I was hoping for $350, maybe $500 off contract so I could use my Bestbuy card. Also, they only have the 16GB option in black and white. Sad times for those of us waiting for Bestbuy to have the Nexus 5. They list the release date as 11/8/13.

Last edited by gottherim4; 11-02-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Default Re: Nexus 5 Available at Best Buy...not good

Best buy lost their mind lol

Sent from my iPhone using

Now I didn't see that coming, $800!!! I think the guy who makes up the pricing needs an intervention and throwing in rehab due to substance abuse

Posted via Android Central App
    petaf likes this.

supply and demand. and obviously Best Buy wants to sell service activation and renewals.
    Thanked by:

That's amazingly outrageous. Any reason you can't buy from Google?

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2

I feel bad for anyone who pays $800 for a Nexus 5. I'm hoping if anyone is smart enough to buy an unlocked phone, they are smart enough to know Google sells it themselves for half the price.

Best Buy is evil.

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

lol I couldn't believe it until I saw it
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    That's amazingly outrageous. Any reason you can't buy from Google?

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2
    I am buying from Play store now. I just like my Bestbuy card, 0%apr.
    Thanked by:
    mrsmumbles likes this.

they are making up the $450 that they lose out on by not having you sign a contract

no one in their right mind would buy from best buy for $800. you can get it off ebay or CL cheaper.

BBY and any 3rd party retailers for cell phones make very little for no-contract phones. They almost always list higher than carrier, or in this case Google, the list price. The only person that are out of their mind is the one who actually try to purchase one from them.

They make hundreds on a two-year contract.

Nothing yet at bestbuy.ca in Canada. $800 is silly.

Sprint has it for $449 for the 16gb. I am on medical leave and only had $100 saved in my phone fund. I'm goign to restart saving to get a 32GB sometime next year but since I had no plans to move from Sprint as I've never had the everyone talks about, plus actually planning that family are adding 2 new phones to my account, I picked it up for $105 in store pickup for Friday with a $50 rebate after a month. It sucks to go contract but between my experience with seeing a few Nexus 4's, I'm doubting i'll ever go with any non-Nexus 5.

Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    ROM
    UnNamed 1.1.0

Dammit, I knew I should have bought more than one when I had the chance...could have made a few bucks.

WorstBuy is out of their mind For 800 at least give me the 32GB!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gottherim4 View Post
    I see this morning that the Nexus 5 can be preordered at Best Buy now, for Sprint. It is listed at $150 with contract, and $800 off contract. This is a huge disappointment, I was hoping for $350, maybe $500 off contract so I could use my Bestbuy card. Also, they only have the 16GB option in black and white. Sad times for those of us waiting for Bestbuy to have the Nexus 5. They list the release date as 11/8/13.

I saw that earlier today too. Hilarious.. specially since Sprint will sell you the device off contract for $449.. Agree with others they just want you to buy a phone with contract... On the flip side 99% of the people who walk into a best buy store to get a new cell phone would probably have no clue they could just get one on the play store for $349 - 399 outright... Most people just sign a new contract and pay their $200 and move on... They will see this $149 on contract and think they are getting a steal. and why no 32 gig? I got mine on the play store (due for delivery on Monday) but thought I would check with best buy.... Guy told me yesterday afternoon probably $399 off contract outright for the 16 gig which still seemed some what reasonable... I even though that $449 off contract price Sprint has on their site as not too bad once you consider what plenty of people will probably pay on Craigslist or Ebay to get their hands on one quickly vs waiting on the play store.

Just wait on mine and hope I don't have too many issues with Sprint getting the 32 gig activated Monday after work... Reading there may or may not be a SIM card issue with Sprint...
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,195 Global Posts

Either Best Buy spiked the price up because of the demand OR Best Buy isn't getting it subsidized from Google.

Probably a combination of both.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    21stNow likes this.

Wow $800!! Damn! I was hoping to get one so I don't have to go through the headache of the Play Store. Forget it now. Thanks for the info though. I was wondering if they would have kept the same price. Oh well. Play Store it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Either Best Buy spiked the price up because of the demand OR Best Buy isn't getting it subsidized from Google.

Probably a combination of both.
    They are just spiking the price to make up for what they get when they sign you up for a new two year agreement... There is no subsidizing from Google... The phone cost roughly $180 - 220 to make even if you consider bulk shipping and boxing material. The new iPhone 5S only cost about $200 to make... It's a good marketing ploy... Hey $799 cash money... or...................................... sign a two year contract and I'll knock that upfront price down to $149.99.. What do you say????? The N5 would retail for $600 - 700 if it was LG, Samsung or Apple selling it.... Google's approach is to get as many android devices in as many hands as possible to fuel their core business... Search and data gathering...
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,195 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie317 View Post
    They are just spiking the price to make up for what they get when they sign you up for a new two year agreement... There is no subsidizing from Google... The phone cost roughly $180 - 220 to make even if you consider bulk shipping and boxing material. The new iPhone 5S only cost about $200 to make... It's a good marketing ploy... Hey $799 cash money... or...................................... sign a two year contract and I'll knock that upfront price down to $149.99.. What do you say????? The N5 would retail for $600 - 700 if it was LG, Samsung or Apple selling it.... Google's approach is to get as many android devices in as many hands as possible to fuel their core business... Search and data gathering...
    Not sure why you need to point out the cost of the iPhone first then slide in LG and Samsung.

And your costs only count the physical hardware. None of the development is included. None of the engineering is included. None of the certification is included.

Not every Android phone can be subsidized by Google. Google can sell their Nexus phones for less because they're not dependent on their hardware sales business.

Look at HTC and Motorola (outside of Google). If they sold their phones for only the cost of the materials, they wouldn't be in business.

Weird. People seem to get offended when someone says the Nexus phones are subsidized by Google.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    21stNow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Not sure why you need to point out the cost of the iPhone first then slide in LG and Samsung.

And your costs only count the physical hardware. None of the development is included. None of the engineering is included. None of the certification is included.

Not every Android phone can be subsidized by Google. Google can sell their Nexus phones for less because they're not dependent on their hardware sales business.

Look at HTC and Motorola (outside of Google). If they sold their phones for only the cost of the materials, they wouldn't be in business.

Weird. People seem to get offended when someone says the Nexus phones are subsidized by Google.

LOL....Not at all offended................. I think there is just a different ideology behind what subsidizing is.... You idea and my idea are just different and I apologize for that... I don't consider it subsidizing... Google just makes less money... Samsung and Apple spend more on R&D but their per device R&D cost is way less than that of HTC because they sell more devices which offsets the per device cost... Bringing up Apple, Samsung and LG.... Just was pointing out the hardware cost are all pretty much the same....

$800 is just outrageous..

Yeah bb is out of they mind for this wow lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts

Best Buy has now reduced the price to $450 off-contract, so you can all take a valium and relax now.

original00 likes this.

800 is outrageous but all of their cell phones are set to 799 unlocked price.

This isn't nexus 5 specific.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,903 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Jdane07 View Post
    Best Buy has now reduced the price to $450 off-contract, so you can all take a valium and relax now.

Maybe Best Buy didn't lower it. Maybe it just wasn't a finalized page yet. Just sayin. When did AC actually run the story? Take that as a clue.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Ry likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast