1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

Default nexus 5 + carrier question

Ok, this may be dumb but I am little confused about the different carriers and the Nexus 5. I am also new to Android as I currently use a Lumia 920 phone.

I know you can buy it from the Play store for $350/399. I see post such as the BestBuy that has the phone for $799 off contract, as well as other similar post. If you are not buying with a discounted on contract price, why would you buy it from any other place then? Why not just buy it from the Play Store?

I have AT&T with an LTE unlimited contract. I was planning on buying one next month from the Play store, swap out SIM or goto AT&T store and buy a new SIM and be done. Should not be any other cost to me to change.

Am I missing something as to why these other retailers are charging so much more for the phone that what the actually price is? I know greed will play little into it, but $800 compared to $350 is beyond that. I just want to make sure I am not missing something and what I plan on doing will work.

Thanks all.

Default Re: nexus 5 + carrier question

If you want one next month, then you should buy it today. They are already 2-4 weeks back ordered. That number should only climb higher.

Posted via Android Central App
    Problem solved, problem staying solved!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

Understand prepaid plans and all. I am not changing my AT&T since my contract is not up till next Nov. however, I do want to change my phone.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vaas View Post
    Ok, this may be dumb but I am little confused about the different carriers and the Nexus 5. I am also new to Android as I currently use a Lumia 920 phone.

I know you can buy it from the Play store for $350/399. I see post such as the BestBuy that has the phone for $799 off contract, as well as other similar post. If you are not buying with a discounted on contract price, why would you buy it from any other place then? Why not just buy it from the Play Store?

I have AT&T with an LTE unlimited contract. I was planning on buying one next month from the Play store, swap out SIM or goto AT&T store and buy a new SIM and be done. Should not be any other cost to me to change.

Am I missing something as to why these other retailers are charging so much more for the phone that what the actually price is? I know greed will play little into it, but $800 compared to $350 is beyond that. I just want to make sure I am not missing something and what I plan on doing will work.

Thanks all.
    Retailers like Best Buy are counting on people not realizing they can purchase the phone directly from Google for $349/$399.

Since you are on AT&T, you can purchase the phone and just swap the sim between your 920 and the N5.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Understand prepaid plans and all. I am not changing my AT&T since my contract is not up till next Nov. however, I do want to change my phone.
    It might be advantageous for you to switch now to prepaid. If your etf is like $175.00 you might save $50-$100 a month. So you could possibly save $900 over the next year - the $175 etf. I don't know what your usage is so I don't know if you could save anything

Best Buy already lowered the price to $499. but just to get it quicker is a waste of money. Just order from Google Play.

Thanks all.
    They charge so much for it to serve as a deterrence from people buying up there stock because Google is currently sold out and we android fans something want our gadgets immediately. Essentially, they want to reserve their stock for only those buying with a contract.. Hence driving people to buy from Google play and wait a while for device delivery as opposed to instant gratification.

No one in the US buys full price phones, the price is set to make the subsidized contract price look more attractive.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    No one in the US buys full price phones, the price is set to make the subsidized contract price look more attractive.
    What stinks, at least I know in California, when you buy a phone at a discounted contract price, you still pay tax based upon the non-discounted price. So at a Best Buy in Cali, if they kept the inflated price at $800 you would be paying nearly $80 tax on the "$150" phone.