Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 91
Like Tree45Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    For the past couple months I had been looking into an Android device. I got more serious after I updated my iPod Touch 5th Gen to iOS 7 and wasn't very impressed. I wanted an Android device that updates shortly after the new update comes out. So that left me with Nexus 4, the then rumored Nexus 5 and the Google Play editions of the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. Since I didn't want to spend a lot on a new device I knew it would be the Nexus 4 or Nexus 5.

    So on October 31st when the Nexus 5 finally came out I decided I would order that. I didn't get around to placing my order until the next day. Anyways I added the 16GB Black to my cart, set up Google Wallet and looked at the final price before I placed my order. Boy, was I in for a shock. The shipping was around $10 but the tax was $40. So $399 for a device that is supposed to be $349. I knew there would be tax because of the other thread in this forum about purchasing a Nexus 5 on launch day. I wonder why someone living in Maine would be charged so much. After seeing that I hit cancel and emptied my cart.

    The reasons that helped me chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5 other than being over-charged on tax were I plan to use it strictly on WiFi so I don't need LTE support, it will get Kit Kat in a couple weeks, it's cheaper and it has had great reviews over the last year it has been available. I know I won't be disappointed.

    I know it would have made the most sense to wait a couple of weeks until people had actually received the Nexus 5 because the demand for Nexus 4's would have gone down but I couldn't wait. So I bought a new Nexus 4 on eBay yesterday for $300 and a case on Amazon for $11. So $311 vs $400. Good deal I think.

    Anyone think buying a Nexus 4 16 GB was a bad decision just because I didn't want to spend $40 in tax on a Nexus 5 16 GB?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Yes.
    Thanked by 4:
    lembowski, J T M, ConTejas and 6 others like this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Case in point GNEX. 18 months after release it isn't officially receiving 4.4. That being said nexus has an amazing development community but if it's your daily driver bugs may be a problem. All in all I'd say it's more to preference but if official updates are more to your taste the 5 would have been better.

    Posted via my SGS3 waiting on my black Nexus 5 32gb...
  4. #4  
    Beyond Fire's Avatar

    Posts
    209 Posts
    Global Posts
    546 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP B4 JB/Franco M5

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    You dropped the nexus 5 over $40? That's like a couple hours of work... $40 is a small price to have the latest and greatest imo.

    Sent from The One phone to rule them all!
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    You are going to lose more value on the N4 because the phone is already "Last year's technology". The n5 would not depreciate as fast because it was just released. I would only buy an N4 for $200.
    J T M and lbaxter like this.
  6. #6  
    digink's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    You're an id!ot...

    In all seriousness, I think you made a bad decision but all that matters is whether or not you're happy so if you are, then that is all the counts my frugal friend.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    N5 has a bigger, nicer screen, better speaker placement and a better camera just to start and I suspect better battery life all while being thinner and lighter. Not to mention it will be worth more if you sold it so I think passing because of $40 bucks is short sighted thinking. Plus I think you way overpaid for the N4.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Thanked by 2:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    So you basically chose the n4 over the n5 because u could get the n4 tax free?

    Not a very wise decision young grasshopper!
    Thanked by 2:
    michael13162 likes this.
  9. #9  
    jd914's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,264 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    worst decision ever in the history of decision making. I had a Nexus 4 and the battery life was absolutely abysmal.....enjoy!
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
    Thanked by 2:
    I Monarch and michael13162 like this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg22 View Post
    For the past couple months I had been looking into an Android device. I got more serious after I updated my iPod Touch 5th Gen to iOS 7 and wasn't very impressed. I wanted an Android device that updates shortly after the new update comes out. So that left me with Nexus 4, the then rumored Nexus 5 and the Google Play editions of the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. Since I didn't want to spend a lot on a new device I knew it would be the Nexus 4 or Nexus 5.

    So on October 31st when the Nexus 5 finally came out I decided I would order that. I didn't get around to placing my order until the next day. Anyways I added the 16GB Black to my cart, set up Google Wallet and looked at the final price before I placed my order. Boy, was I in for a shock. The shipping was around $10 but the tax was $40. So $399 for a device that is supposed to be $349. I knew there would be tax because of the other thread in this forum about purchasing a Nexus 5 on launch day. I wonder why someone living in Maine would be charged so much. After seeing that I hit cancel and emptied my cart.

    The reasons that helped me chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5 other than being over-charged on tax were I plan to use it strictly on WiFi so I don't need LTE support, it will get Kit Kat in a couple weeks, it's cheaper and it has had great reviews over the last year it has been available. I know I won't be disappointed.

    I know it would have made the most sense to wait a couple of weeks until people had actually received the Nexus 5 because the demand for Nexus 4's would have gone down but I couldn't wait. So I bought a new Nexus 4 on eBay yesterday for $300 and a case on Amazon for $11. So $311 vs $400. Good deal I think.

    Anyone think buying a Nexus 4 16 GB was a bad decision just because I didn't want to spend $40 in tax on a Nexus 5 16 GB?
    The N4 is a nice phone so I wouldn't say it was a terrible decision to buy one. But why did you pay so much? Ton of them on swappa for under $250....

    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    lbaxter and Euan Tan like this.
  11. #11  
    netwerx1's Avatar

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    ROM
    UnNamed 1.1.0

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Yup zoidberg, you over-thought it and ended up outsmarting yourself. Your choice will likely end in regret.
    Last edited by netwerx1; 11-02-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    worst decision ever in the history of decision making. I had a Nexus 4 and the battery life was absolutely abysmal.....enjoy!
    The new Nexus 5 might have average battery life or worse. No one knows yet. I'm sure it will be fine though.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Not to kick you while you are down but you did ask for opinions. I think the n4 is still a great device but you overpaid by about 75 bucks. Tax from the Google play store is all dependent on the state you live in. Some paid 40 to 50 bucks and some as low as 13 cents, has nothing to do with Google but everything to do with sales taxes in your state.

    Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
  14. #14  
    EvanJ18's Avatar

    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Ohh.... Nooooooo.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram @EvanR32
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    There are always people buying previous gen gadget. Nothing wrong with it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    There are always people buying previous gen gadget. Nothing wrong with it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yeah, but not usually over what seems like a small price. For $40 getting a larger screen, LTE, faster processor, the newest phone (will receive and support the newer OS's as they're released and be phased out later), seems like a no brainer. Bottom line is if you are happy then it was worth it for you. Enjoy the phone!
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    I have a Nexus 4, and love it, but I feel that wasn't a very wise choice. For LESS than $100, you could get a WAY better device. Better battery life, better processor, LTE, better camera, better display, and gets an extra year of updates from the nexus 4.

    Nexus 5>Nexus 4

    It's not opinionative, it's a fact.
    Illustrator Joe likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    I have a Nexus 4, and love it, but I feel that wasn't a very wise choice. For LESS than $100, you could get a WAY better device. Better battery life, better processor, LTE, better camera, better display, and gets an extra year of updates from the nexus 4.

    Nexus 5>Nexus 4

    It's not opinionative, it's a fact.
    There is nothing wrong with OP buying what they think is best for them. But trying to convince anyone that the n4 is a better buy probably isn't going to happen.

    |❌_❌|
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Since when can you buy anything without paying tax? I'm glad I live in Canada. It's like having a savings fund for the day you have a heart attack and the ambulance drives right by because you don't have an extra ten grand in your pocket.

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by ManInTheBox10 View Post
    Since when can you buy anything without paying tax? I'm glad I live in Canada. It's like having a savings fund for the day you have a heart attack and the ambulance drives right by because you don't have an extra ten grand in your pocket.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Tax free day in Massachusetts. Happens in august.

    Posted via Android Central App
  21. #21  
    parcerita's Avatar

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    No it wasn't a bad choice, the only thing is that you overpaid for it. Especially in terms of warranty. My cousin bought a secondhand N4 that was still under warranty and is having issues with it. She's been trying to get it replaced but so far it hasn't been possible.

    Sent from Nexus 7
  22. #22  
    jiayit's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    As many have repeated, it was not a bad choice but you paid way too much for the N4.
    If the price of a device will determine it's eligibility for you, then you didn't make a bad choice to settle on a cheaper phone. But you paid way too much, IMO. Could've found a cheaper N4.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Maine sales tax is 5%. How did you come up with $40 tax?



    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  24. #24  
    zipro's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    The new Nexus 5 might have average battery life or worse. No one knows yet.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I do - battery life has been excellent on mine. And the camera is surprisingly good, too.
  25. #25  
    Choorp's Avatar

    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

    Quote Originally Posted by parcerita View Post
    No it wasn't a bad choice, the only thing is that you overpaid for it. Especially in terms of warranty. My cousin bought a secondhand N4 that was still under warranty and is having issues with it. She's been trying to get it replaced but so far it hasn't been possible.

    Sent from Nexus 7
    Warranty (or the lack thereof) is going to be the biggest issue. All things considered, I think it would have been much better to just spend a little bit more on the Nexus 5 and get a much, much better deal.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Acase Superleggera Hybrid Case for Nexus 5
    By Nexus4 in forum Nexus 5 Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 08:12 PM
  2. I sure do hope we get the new Nexus 10 within the next 14 days
    By angry english in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 02:43 PM
  3. Verizon LTE Band missing on Nexus 5
    By James Changstein in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 12:15 PM
  4. APK for KitKat on Nexus 4
    By Illustrator Joe in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 06:54 PM
  5. Canada's Rogers thinks they know what a Nexus 5 looks like
    By jambamochi in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

B