Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

zoidberg22

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
For the past couple months I had been looking into an Android device. I got more serious after I updated my iPod Touch 5th Gen to iOS 7 and wasn't very impressed. I wanted an Android device that updates shortly after the new update comes out. So that left me with Nexus 4, the then rumored Nexus 5 and the Google Play editions of the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. Since I didn't want to spend a lot on a new device I knew it would be the Nexus 4 or Nexus 5.

So on October 31st when the Nexus 5 finally came out I decided I would order that. I didn't get around to placing my order until the next day. Anyways I added the 16GB Black to my cart, set up Google Wallet and looked at the final price before I placed my order. Boy, was I in for a shock. The shipping was around $10 but the tax was $40. So $399 for a device that is supposed to be $349. I knew there would be tax because of the other thread in this forum about purchasing a Nexus 5 on launch day. I wonder why someone living in Maine would be charged so much. After seeing that I hit cancel and emptied my cart.

The reasons that helped me chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5 other than being over-charged on tax were I plan to use it strictly on WiFi so I don't need LTE support, it will get Kit Kat in a couple weeks, it's cheaper and it has had great reviews over the last year it has been available. I know I won't be disappointed.

I know it would have made the most sense to wait a couple of weeks until people had actually received the Nexus 5 because the demand for Nexus 4's would have gone down but I couldn't wait. So I bought a new Nexus 4 on eBay yesterday for $300 and a case on Amazon for $11. So $311 vs $400. Good deal I think.

Anyone think buying a Nexus 4 16 GB was a bad decision just because I didn't want to spend $40 in tax on a Nexus 5 16 GB?

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Case in point GNEX. 18 months after release it isn't officially receiving 4.4. That being said nexus has an amazing development community but if it's your daily driver bugs may be a problem. All in all I'd say it's more to preference but if official updates are more to your taste the 5 would have been better.

Posted via my SGS3 waiting on my black Nexus 5 32gb...

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
You dropped the nexus 5 over $40? That's like a couple hours of work... $40 is a small price to have the latest and greatest imo.

Sent from The One phone to rule them all!

techmantoo

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You are going to lose more value on the N4 because the phone is already "Last year's technology". The n5 would not depreciate as fast because it was just released. I would only buy an N4 for $200.

digink

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
You're an id!ot...

In all seriousness, I think you made a bad decision but all that matters is whether or not you're happy so if you are, then that is all the counts my frugal friend.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
N5 has a bigger, nicer screen, better speaker placement and a better camera just to start and I suspect better battery life all while being thinner and lighter. Not to mention it will be worth more if you sold it so I think passing because of $40 bucks is short sighted thinking. Plus I think you way overpaid for the N4.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
So you basically chose the n4 over the n5 because u could get the n4 tax free?

Not a very wise decision young grasshopper!

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
worst decision ever in the history of decision making. I had a Nexus 4 and the battery life was absolutely abysmal.....enjoy!

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
For the past couple months I had been looking into an Android device. I got more serious after I updated my iPod Touch 5th Gen to iOS 7 and wasn't very impressed. I wanted an Android device that updates shortly after the new update comes out. So that left me with Nexus 4, the then rumored Nexus 5 and the Google Play editions of the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. Since I didn't want to spend a lot on a new device I knew it would be the Nexus 4 or Nexus 5.

So on October 31st when the Nexus 5 finally came out I decided I would order that. I didn't get around to placing my order until the next day. Anyways I added the 16GB Black to my cart, set up Google Wallet and looked at the final price before I placed my order. Boy, was I in for a shock. The shipping was around $10 but the tax was $40. So $399 for a device that is supposed to be $349. I knew there would be tax because of the other thread in this forum about purchasing a Nexus 5 on launch day. I wonder why someone living in Maine would be charged so much. After seeing that I hit cancel and emptied my cart.

The reasons that helped me chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5 other than being over-charged on tax were I plan to use it strictly on WiFi so I don't need LTE support, it will get Kit Kat in a couple weeks, it's cheaper and it has had great reviews over the last year it has been available. I know I won't be disappointed.

I know it would have made the most sense to wait a couple of weeks until people had actually received the Nexus 5 because the demand for Nexus 4's would have gone down but I couldn't wait. So I bought a new Nexus 4 on eBay yesterday for $300 and a case on Amazon for $11. So $311 vs $400. Good deal I think.

Anyone think buying a Nexus 4 16 GB was a bad decision just because I didn't want to spend $40 in tax on a Nexus 5 16 GB?

The N4 is a nice phone so I wouldn't say it was a terrible decision to buy one. But why did you pay so much? Ton of them on swappa for under $250....

Buy Nexus 4 (Unlocked) in US > Swappa

netwerx1

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yup zoidberg, you over-thought it and ended up outsmarting yourself. Your choice will likely end in regret.

Last edited:

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
worst decision ever in the history of decision making. I had a Nexus 4 and the battery life was absolutely abysmal.....enjoy!

The new Nexus 5 might have average battery life or worse. No one knows yet. I'm sure it will be fine though.

Posted via Android Central App

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Not to kick you while you are down but you did ask for opinions. I think the n4 is still a great device but you overpaid by about 75 bucks. Tax from the Google play store is all dependent on the state you live in. Some paid 40 to 50 bucks and some as low as 13 cents, has nothing to do with Google but everything to do with sales taxes in your state.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Higgs1

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
There are always people buying previous gen gadget. Nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, but not usually over what seems like a small price. For $40 getting a larger screen, LTE, faster processor, the newest phone (will receive and support the newer OS's as they're released and be phased out later), seems like a no brainer. Bottom line is if you are happy then it was worth it for you. Enjoy the phone!

unstoppablekem

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4, and love it, but I feel that wasn't a very wise choice. For LESS than $100, you could get a WAY better device. Better battery life, better processor, LTE, better camera, better display, and gets an extra year of updates from the nexus 4.

Nexus 5>Nexus 4

It's not opinionative, it's a fact.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4, and love it, but I feel that wasn't a very wise choice. For LESS than $100, you could get a WAY better device. Better battery life, better processor, LTE, better camera, better display, and gets an extra year of updates from the nexus 4.

Nexus 5>Nexus 4

It's not opinionative, it's a fact.

There is nothing wrong with OP buying what they think is best for them. But trying to convince anyone that the n4 is a better buy probably isn't going to happen.

|❌_❌|

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Since when can you buy anything without paying tax? I'm glad I live in Canada. It's like having a savings fund for the day you have a heart attack and the ambulance drives right by because you don't have an extra ten grand in your pocket.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Since when can you buy anything without paying tax? I'm glad I live in Canada. It's like having a savings fund for the day you have a heart attack and the ambulance drives right by because you don't have an extra ten grand in your pocket.

Tax free day in Massachusetts. Happens in august.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech