No Google Wallet in the UK on Nexus 5?

AaronM1

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I just tried to download Google Wallet on my Nexus 5 and it's not appearing on the Play Store, and then I checked online and it said it wasn't compatible!

I'm certain I had it on my Nexus 4 and lots of shops in my area now support NFC payment.

Is it available or not, or am I just going mad?

gumpty

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Google Wallet's NFC payments aren't enabled in the UK. It's a US only feature for now.

On my Gnex they used to have two system images available for the GSM version - one with Google Wallet included (for the US) and one without (rest of world). There was nothing stopping you installing the Wallet version, but the app wouldn't do anything in the UK.

You could probably download the apk from somewhere and install it, but I don't think it'll do anything.

Posted via AC App on G Tab 10.1 running CM10.1

marconess

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I tried downloading EE's Cash On Tap app but it says the device isnt compatible. Are there any wallet/payment apps that can be used in the UK with Tap to pay?

mrmadcat

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I tried downloading EE's Cash On Tap app but it says the device isnt compatible. Are there any wallet/payment apps that can be used in the UK with Tap to pay?

Not for the nexus 5

Cash on tap works in the s4 and s3 if they're locked to ee and u have an NFC sim.

Google wallet - I went to america and used it on my uk nexus 4 with a T-Mobile USA sim. Came back and it still worked but the Google card issuer denied all the transactions as they are outside of the US 😕:-(

krifor03

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Google wallet - I went to america and used it on my uk nexus 4 with a T-Mobile USA sim. Came back and it still worked but the Google card issuer denied all the transactions as they are outside of the US 😕:-(

My Nexus is a U.S. one, so I was able to activate my tap and pay, I even linked up my cards, are you saying that even with it all set up it won't work in the UK? All the cards I have linked are US cards that I us in the UK all the time

My Nexus 5 Rocks \m/

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
If your Google account is a UK account then no it will not work. I too have us cards by my account is deemed Canadian and I can't change that on the Google wallet site. You might have better luck as long as you never used a UK Google Play card.

Posted via Android Central App

krifor03

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
One day maybe Google and other companies will realise that countries outside the US exist.

never fear the UK is always next on the list, followed by the rest of western Europe! US gets the buggy stuff, rest of the world gets clean insect free software!

My Nexus 5 Rocks \m/

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I just read that tap and pay still requires a US SIM.........Lame......

My Nexus 5 Rocks \m/

It's like everything, the US gets it and everywhere else gets left out. Most of the great google now features are US only, google voice is US only, google wallet... US only. The list goes on really.

mrmadcat

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
You don't need a US SIM all the time - i activated with it and never used again. It doesn't matter if ur cards are UK or USA. I have both. Your phone can be us or international. Again I tried both. In all cases it works fine in the USA but not in the UK as Google's merchant bank declined international transactions.

It doesn't get as far as your card issuers at all - i checked with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20