Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveISU
  • 1 Post By kalo88
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 Speakers

I've yet to read or see any reviews on the speakers of the device. I know they moved it from the bottom back (horrible design imo) to the bottom (similar to the iPhone). Will this give a better output in sound? I really didn't like the speakers on the Nexus 4, so I hope they're significantly better this time around.

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 5 Speakers

I find it so so, it gives the impression there's 2 but in fact there's only one speaker.

You have to crank it up a fair bit for it to be 'loud' and the sound quality is... 'average'. I wouldn't say any more or less to be honest. The placement is better however when the phone is down on a flat surface now as it pumps the sound out and at you rather than towards the table etc.

Yep it's only 1 speaker even though looks like 2 (same as iphone 5). Better than nexus 4 for sure when lying back down etc but still isnt amazing. Headphone volume seems to be a good bit better though i think.

This is strictly a personal opinion, but the only need I have for cell phone speakers is for ringtones, notifications and the occasional speaker phone conversation. Audio quality doesn't mean a lot for those applications as long as they're audible and they definitely don't need to be in stereo. I'm not going to listen to any media content without a quality set of earbuds.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RicKaysen View Post
    This is strictly a personal opinion, but the only need I have for cell phone speakers is for ringtones, notifications and the occasional speaker phone conversation. Audio quality doesn't mean a lot for those applications as long as they're audible and they definitely don't need to be in stereo. I'm not going to listen to any media content without a quality set of earbuds.
    I however do.

As I stated... Personal opinion.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Just received my Nexus 5 from Carphone Warehouse today and tried the speaker out on a YouTube video and half way through it just completely cut out! Now I can't get any sound from the device at all even with everything turned up. Looks like its going back, gutted.

Anyone feel the volume for notifications is low even set to max volume?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    ludesleep likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Anyone feel the volume for notifications is low even set to max volume?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Definitely... The max setting is just too weak for all sounds. Hoping a custom firmware might address this (crossing fingers)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmaculateJ View Post
    Definitely... The max setting is just too weak for all sounds. Hoping a custom firmware might address this (crossing fingers)

Yup i've noticed the sound is quite quiet, i have this thing turned up to 75% + whereas on other phones it could be 30-40% just to 'hear stuff clearly'
    TheImmaculateJ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kalo88 View Post
    Yup i've noticed the sound is quite quiet, i have this thing turned up to 75% + whereas on other phones it could be 30-40% just to 'hear stuff clearly'
    Agreed. The lower volumes seem to be for people with super-human hearing, even in quiet environments.

This is disappointing to me. My friends and I use Voxer to chat throughout the day and so I depend on the speaker on my device. Could even be a deal breaker for me. My Nexus 5 is arriving tomorrow....

Same issue here for me. Black 32 GB. Come on firmware update

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

how is the loudness vs the N4? While sound quality itself left a lot to be desired, the actual loudness, the GF and I found at least, is very good, even when on it's back, particularly when I compare it to my Gnex... If it's similar, I'll be happy with it.

Nexus 4 is louder than Nexus 5 speakers... Disappointing.

Phil posted an article about this. He believes that it is a software issue and he has sent an email to Google to see what they have to say about it.

He is correct too, I have noticed that the audio is much louder and clearer when listening to it through certain apps (like youtube) but when I use Google Play Music the sound quality drops for some strange reason. I also have my equalizer turned off....which helps a little bit.
    Banned

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts

It's mostly a software issue that can be fixed with a simple update.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne Korth View Post
    Not on mine. I own both as well. Nexus 5 is louder for me. Though not by a lot.

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Here is an article about the speaker quality...

Poor Nexus 5 audio quality could have software to blame | Pocketnow

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne Korth View Post
    This is 100% true, I could listen to my Nexus 4 playing podcasts while driving our beater SUV (we use for hauling crap around) that doesn't have an AUX input or anything. The Nexus 5 is completely useless at max volume in the same conditions. It is most certainly quieter, people that say otherwise are just justifying their purchase.

Get an HTC One if you want decent sound, a Nexus 5 is not for you.

I don't think they're bad at all. Not on par with my Moto X or the One, but they are right around average.

Posted via Android Central App