Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Default I am a nexus fanboy.

Seriously. If it weren't for Nexus program, I probably would leave Android. The best part about nexus phones is that all the OEM's launch a phone during the year and that at the end of the year Google launches a phone with better hardware than any of them, at half the price. At that price you can have a new nexus every year without having to stare at the same phone for 2 years or paying $700 every year in order not to, along with direct updates and total freedom from carrier and OEM interference or meddling. The best part is that even if one of the OEM phones does have one or two features better than a Nexus (that can't simply be copied using an app), they're all ultimately trumped by price. You simply can't beat the win/win scenario these phone provide.

Of course personal preference cannot be ignored. I know some people who just can't get by using phones any smaller than the Samsung Note series for example. Luckily I don't have any specific preferences that I need so strongly they can't be overlooked other than a demand to be out of the grip of carriers without having to pay double the price in order to have that.

Global Posts
    7,423 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: I am a nexus fanboy.

I agree. You are. lol

I think you're not alone.
    MERCDROID likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I agree. You are. lol

I think you're not alone.
    lol yeah.. I might as well admit it

I love it though. The one thing I've always admired Apple for the most is their total control over their smartphone and tablet hardware and software production and delivery of it. Nexus devices allow me the same luxury and experience. If it wasn't for that I'd be sorely tempted to plug my nose and bite the bitten fruit by now.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I agree completely. My last non nexus phone was an Incredible 2. I enjoyed rooting and flashing and having an almost stock experience. But it was never 100% stable.
    Since then I've had the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and now Nexus 5. As long as they keep up this pricing structure, I'll be back every year.

Posted via Android Central App
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram @EvanR32
    Darth Spock likes this.

I love Nexus phones too. But I also love my Note 3. I think I just....love Android.

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, I'll add my name to the Nexus fanboy list, lol.

Let's not limit this to just phones. The Nexus tablets are easily the best Android tablets you can buy, as you get the most bang-for-your-buck. How many other OEMS are selling a 7-inch tablet with full 1080p screen, for only $230?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Motorola Razr V3-->Blackberry Pearl 8130-->Blackberry Tour 9630-->Droid Pro-->Droid X-->Rooted Droid 4-->Galaxy S3-->GSM Galaxy Nexus (Stock 4.3)-->Nexus 4 16GB (Stock 4..4)-->Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Note 3 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Nokia Lumia 1520 (Red)

Toshiba Satellite Win Vista-->HP Touchpad w/ CM 9 Alpha 1-->Motorola Xoom Wifi-->Toshiba Satellite Win7-->Acer Ubuntu/Chromebook-->Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-->Toshiba Satellite Win8-->Ubuntu 13.10/Nexus 7 16GB (2013)-->Samsung Chromebook-->Asus Republic of Gamers/iPad Mini with Retina Display

if there was no Nexus program i would probably get the Note 3. that huge beautiful display would at least be some consolation.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

I too can't wait for my new nexus 5 to arrive. That said, I am still extremely impressed with the Moto x I have been using. Its not always about specs. I still pop my Sim into my HTC one on occasion , yet still find myself missing the form factor of the moto x. I actually don't see any phone including the nexus replacing the x as my daily device.

Regardless at the end of the day the nexus lineup just can't be beat. Price wise its outstanding hardware, hard to believe actually. Looks like the camera is also top notch, examples I have seen are amazing.

Also look at the nexus 7. Hands down the best tablet in its size IMO.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

I hope the Nexus 5 can get me to change how I feel about Android in general and won't change how I feel about the Nexus line. I've wanted a Nexus device since I saw the GNex, but my apprehension toward Android kept me back. Instead, I went with a number of other Android devices. I guess I did that so I could maintain what is the equivalent of a crush on the Nexus line. (Ya know, sometimes having a crush is way better than pursuing more...)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Cheers mates.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

Global Posts
    1,952 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

I'm a Nexus fanboy also. It's been that way since the Nexus One. My first two devices were a Nexus one and IPad.

I remember way back when google sold the Nexus one online. There was no play store, just the old Android market, and the Nexus One was sold on a separate site.

It seemed like Google really wanted to push the nexus one as a mainstream consumer device but that didn't work out. They stop selling it after a few months and only developers could buy it. This is when everyone started considering it a developer phone.

Fast forward today and I'm waiting on my Nexus 5. I know I'm a fanboy because no matter what negative things I hear I know I will like this phone, I can tell that from the videos I've seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    9,115 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

^This^ I like the Stock experience but I prefer the non-Nexus phones. So I flashed SlimBean ROM on my S4
    Aside from the processor, this phone is better then the Nexus 5 IMO

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

I am a Nexus fanboy myself. I love my N7. I have had Motorolas and HTCs and I didmt like the skins, and I am not willing to try them again because I have found my sweet spot with the stock Google experience.

I am in the Apple ecosystem (Apps, media, email, calendar, contacts and other Apple equipment) so I am not willing to make the switch full time.

I came to Android somewhat late (2011) with an HTC Inspire 4G on AT&T. It didn't take long for me to fall for the ecosystem. I wanted to get the Galaxy Nexus, but it was initially just a CDMA exclusive. I still almost grabbed one once it was GSM sold at the Play Store. I love my N4 and my N5 should be here tomorrow.
    Nexus 6 - Unlocked bootloader - Rooted - Stock Lollipop
    Samsung Chromebook - Chrome OS - Ubuntu dual boot

Previous:
    Nexus 5 - Unlocked Bootloader- Rooted - Stock Lollipop
    Nexus 4 - Unlocked Bootloader- Rooted - Stock
    HTC Inspire 4G - Unlocked Bootloader - Rooted - GB ASOP

The Inspire 4G was also my first Android phone, although I bought a Nook Color before that, rooted it and installed CM7. I think I had Sense on my Inspire for 2 days, then rooted & switched to AOSP and never looked back. The GS3 was my last non-Nexus Android device. It pretty much ran CM10.x the whole time.

The N5 is my 3rd Nexus device. I didn't really realize it when it happened, but I guess I'm a fanboy, too. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    1,022 Global Posts
    ROM
    UnNamed 1.1.0

I've found I'm not a fanboi of anything technology-related, I have no loyalty whatsoever to any brand or platform. I will always use what works best for me and my specific needs at any given time. I've gone from Windows Mobile, to iPhone, to BlackBerry, to Android (SGS2), back to BlackBerry, and am now going to try a Nexus device...because no matter how much I like BB10 as a core platform, it's just not working out for my long term needs. My tablets are an iPad and a Kindle Fire HD. I have both Mac and PC and use both every day. If the Nexus turns out not to give me the experience and productivity that I want and expect, then I'll move on to something else.
    jairusz likes this.

Tried many different OEM skins (IE Sense, Touchwiz) although some do have their features that may be useful to me most seem to be gimmicks than anything else. Most OEM skins seem clunky and cartoonish for me dating back to MotoBlur. I've learned Nexus/Stock android is the only way to go for me.

The one thing the nexus has over any other Android phone by far is hackability. Samsungs need odin, HTC needs htc dev site, I don't know if you can even unlock moto's bootloader. Just a general hassle to mod/hack any other phone other than a nexus.

The third party development on Nexus phones are second to none. The rom, kernel, mod scene is huge. The bigger developers like cyanogen, aokp, carbon etc have teams of talented people building advanced capabilities into roms and kernels. I'm what one would call a crackflasher. I flash stuff almost daily on my n4.

Lots of you folks have no interest in this stuff and will keep your nexus stock and that's fine. Me? I like to tinker.

So, yeah I guess I am a fanboy.

KitKat Nexus⁴ ()
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,732 Global Posts

Nexus fanboy, add me to the list!

If it weren't for the Nexus program I would have still been on my iPhone ******** about how Apple hasn't increased screen size and how updates are too slow on Android.

Forget a company, I'm loyal to my needs but I gotta say the only Android phone that pries me away from my iPhone is my N4 and I'm sure that'll continue with the N5. The HTC One comes pretty damn close, though.

Global Posts
    9,115 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    The one thing the nexus has over any other Android phone by far is hackability. Samsungs need odin, HTC needs htc dev site, I don't know if you can even unlock moto's bootloader. Just a general hassle to mod/hack any other phone other than a nexus.

The third party development on Nexus phones are second to none. The rom, kernel, mod scene is huge. The bigger developers like cyanogen, aokp, carbon etc have teams of talented people building advanced capabilities into roms and kernels. I'm what one would call a crackflasher. I flash stuff almost daily on my n4.

Lots of you folks have no interest in this stuff and will keep your nexus stock and that's fine. Me? I like to tinker.

So, yeah I guess I am a fanboy.

KitKat Nexus⁴ ()
    My GS4 was a breeze to root and flash custom ROMs onto

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

This is me eating my words.

It looks like I'm going to be grabbing one of the OEM phones this time around guys. Despite the advantages I've always enjoyed with Nexii, I'm seriously drawn by how useful the featuresets are on the Note 3, Moto X, and Xperia Z1 compared to the gimmicky crap OEM's used to pump out. I also prefer the physical design of those 3 phones. Still hanging on to my N7 for sure though.

Not exactly a hardcore fan because I got my first smartphone so recently (last spring). But I'm going to enjoy using my Nexus. Right now I'm a bit challenged by kitkat because I learn slowly. :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see if kitkat will be available for the humble hydro since kitkat is supposed to be optimized for phones with lower specs. If it is, I'll try rooting as soon as I have a working computer. The neat thing about the hydro is that it's stock ice cream sandwich with just a few boost mobile apps on it in addition to the Google play apps. Anyway, it got me used to stock OS.

The Nexus 5 is the first phone I've had without micro SD though, so it was more a purchase for budget concerns for me. If I could have afforded a gs4 I'd have gotten one because of the convenience of micro SD and replaceable battery. Not to put down the N5 which I'll have fun with, but that's an important feature to me.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

I'm an Android fanboy...the nexus is just the best Android experience right now.

But if another company came out with a nexus-like device with SD and removable battery, I'd switch in a heartbeat. Google does not always make the right choices. The last "great" nexus device was the Nexus 1.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I'm an Android fanboy...the nexus is just the best Android experience right now.

But if another company came out with a nexus-like device with SD and removable battery, I'd switch in a heartbeat. Google does not always make the right choices. The last "great" nexus device was the Nexus 1.
    This is slightly off topic but I'm interested to hear thoughts about the thus far rumored and mythical Ubuntu Edge. It's not a Google phone but could be even better. What do AC posters think? It's not even Android, naturally.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast