Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Nexus 5 Review

Hi all so the other day I did a First look at the Nexus 5 and now I've spent some time with it here is a full review

Your welcome to ask any question in this thread and I will be happy to answer them, just give me a few hours it's a bit manic here right now.
    Thanked by 23:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: My Nexus 5 Review

Great review.

Posted via Android Central App
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram @EvanR32

Great review. Thanks for doing it.

You say that the battery life is great and that you used it pretty heavily. What was your screen on time like? Did you do anything to boost your battery life? Thanks.

The video won't play?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Awesome review.

I think you're the only source I've read that isn't at least somewhat impressed by the hdr+ mode on the camera. Although the consensus seems to be that it's best used outdoors.

I'm pleased by your report on audio quality and battery life in particular.

Thanks for the thorough review!

"Speaker is right below HTC One" Wow thats great to hear.

Global Posts
    1,675 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Thanks for this review, it was very thorough and covered a lot of things I wanted to know. I listen to music on my phones through earphones 99% of the time and I'm glad you covered that. One little known thing that many people don't discuss is how much Google music has improved. The sound quality is much better on all my devices.

one of the best video reviews i ever saw. Thanks for your effort

This is a great and straight to the point review. Good job !

Regarding your problem getting "OK Google" to work. Have you or your third party keyboard app set the phone to UK English?. I think it only works when set to US English. Annoying and hopefully they will change that in future

Edit: Oh yeah and great review!

There is already been a fix to that issue...check it out in the forums. No longer do you have to switch to U.K English then back to U.S English to avoid the FC
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by austriak View Post
    Great review. Thanks for doing it.

You say that the battery life is great and that you used it pretty heavily. What was your screen on time like? Did you do anything to boost your battery life? Thanks.
    Today my screen is on full brightness and has been on for 1h 19m and was responsible for 35% of the battery drain. I've had 9hrs since the last charge and I'm at 41%.

Too me that feels above average.
    Spent 20 mins taking pictures and played 4%
    Assphalt 8 for 20 minutes 5%
    google plus has been on for 14m used 6%
    Phone idle was 7h30m for 3%
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Friendly Bomb View Post
    Regarding your problem getting "OK Google" to work. Have you or your third party keyboard app set the phone to UK English?. I think it only works when set to US English. Annoying and hopefully they will change that in future

Edit: Oh yeah and great review!
    Ye played around and worked that out it was the Swiftkeyboard that i installed that caused it to fail.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks will look
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by dazzer87 View Post
    "Speaker is right below HTC One" Wow thats great to hear.
    due to the lack of vibration because of not having it on the back it pumps out very clear sound for a mono speaker. Some good work done by LG on that, cant compare to the G2 but beats my z1 and S4 hands down.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by AaronTV View Post
    Awesome review.

I think you're the only source I've read that isn't at least somewhat impressed by the hdr+ mode on the camera. Although the consensus seems to be that it's best used outdoors.

I'm pleased by your report on audio quality and battery life in particular.

Thanks for the thorough review!

If you compare it to the new snapseed filter i cant see why the heck google bothered putting it in the app it's not that great and snapseed kinda aces it every time. I think the days of hardware based hdr are numbered on smartphones still has it place in DSLR lands.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAndroidizen View Post
    due to the lack of vibration because of not having it on the back it pumps out very clear sound for a mono speaker. Some good work done by LG on that, cant compare to the G2 but beats my z1 and S4 hands down.

thanks. i heard that the G2 speaker is that great. Question about the low wifi signal was that on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? There is another thread that people were saying they were losing connection via wifi. Do you have the same issue?

Thanks for the review. Is it worth it to upgrade from a Galaxy S3? I'm not too concerned with removable battery because I've never really drained my S3. Also, I haven't come close to filling up my memory so not too worried about expandable memory either. Thanks.

great review

How will the casing look after a year or two without a case, i wonder.
    Would battery survive 14 hours a day with medium wifi usage on a single charge?

Brilliant! Thanks so much, it answered all my questions.

I think the most exciting revelation in the vid was the opinion that the n5 screen is better than an s4. I have never considered my n4 screen to be great. I thought my gnex screen was better. Lots of folks say that the samoled panels on samsungs are oversaturated and cartoony.
    I actually prefer samoleds over ips for the way the colors pop and off angle viewing. Off angle on the n4 is terrible.
    So, when you say the n5 screen is better than the s4, well that is exciting news.

I never thought I would sit still for a 30 minute vid but I did. You have a weird accent! lol jk Good job.

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    I actually prefer samoleds over ips for the way the colors pop and off angle viewing.
    From what I've seen and read, IPS/LCD displays haver better viewing angles O_o

A really awesome in depth review. It really helped me make my decision to by a 32gb nexus 5 in white. Thanks a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    From what I've seen and read, IPS/LCD displays haver better viewing angles O_o
    My moms S4 seems to have comparable viewing angles to my N7. The IPS beats the AMOLED hands down when viewing whites, though the AMOLED has better blacks. I just cannot stand how impossible it is to view a AMOLED screen outdoors even in the brightest setting.

Oh, and OP, how does the screen brightness seem on your N5 when outdoors? My N7 is pretty good outdoors compared to some, but still isn't great.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7
    Be sure and hit the thanks button if anything I said was helpful to you!

Great Review Thanks a lot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast