Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This thread is for people using their Nexus 5 on the T-Mobile $30/month prepaid plan. (100 minutes, unlimited text, 5 GB LTE)

My Nexus 5 arrives tomorrow so I feel right about now would be a good time to start this up. A simple call to TMo customer service with the IMEI and a switch of my current Micro-SIM into the N5 should be all it takes for me to get up and running again with the N5. To clarify, I already have the $30 plan active on my S4. Obviously, the steps will be a little different for the many switching to this plan (some angry VZW users in particular) first-time to use the N5 on. This can be a space to talk about any concerns, questions, problems with the combination of the device and the plan's service.

Papasmerf

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I am planning on testing Tmobile in my area first with the Nexus 5 on the $30 prepaid plan. I am going to keep my Gnex with VZW until it expires in December. I have preordered the microSim card for Tmobile. I am curious how I go about setting up this plan once I get the card and Nexus 5 in the mail.
Question- If I like the Tmobile service can I then switch my number from VZW in December to the prepaid I will have soon? ( I plan on, for now, getting it with a different phone number)
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

crucialcolin

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Great question will probably be doing the same but coming from boost mobile and transferring my number over later to T-Mobile after testing. I've been told its slightly more difficult to port over later then during activation which would involve visiting a store? Seems like it should be possible to contact support as we'll.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Note: You can get the SIM for this at [URL="https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/612734/9383?sharedid=159229&subId1=UUacUvbUpU3205908&subId2=vbac&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walmart.com%2Fip%2FT-Mobile-Micro-SIM-Activation-Kit%2F24099996%22]Walmart, online or in-store[/URL].

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not on Tmobile currently but my sprint contract is ending early next month. I was looking into this $30/mo tmobile plan but the walmart page specifically says this, "The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com". How would I go about switching to tmobile and getting this plan and transferring my old number from sprint? Also, does one have to keep purchasing these $30/mo prepaid cards from walmart to continue service or can you setup an automatic payment to continue each month?

Thanks in advance!

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
This thread is for people using their Nexus 5 on the T-Mobile $30/month prepaid plan. (100 minutes, unlimited text, 5 GB LTE)

My Nexus 5 arrives tomorrow so I feel right about now would be a good time to start this up. A simple call to TMo customer service with the IMEI and a switch of my current Micro-SIM into the N5 should be all it takes for me to get up and running again with the N5. To clarify, I already have the $30 plan active on my S4. Obviously, the steps will be a little different for the many switching to this plan (some angry VZW users in particular) first-time to use the N5 on. This can be a space to talk about any concerns, questions, problems with the combination of the device and the plan's service.

Just curious, why do you have to call T-Mobile to give them your IMEI from the Nexus 5? I switch phones all the time on this plan and never call T-Mobile to let them know that I am doing so.

I'm not on Tmobile currently but my sprint contract is ending early next month. I was looking into this $30/mo tmobile plan but the walmart page specifically says this, "The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com". How would I go about switching to tmobile and getting this plan and transferring my old number from sprint? Also, does one have to keep purchasing these $30/mo prepaid cards from walmart to continue service or can you setup an automatic payment to continue each month?

Thanks in advance!

You can set-up Auto-Pay (though I don't recommend it) for this plan, or pay with an EFT/ACH, or credit card every month by logging in to MyT-Mobile.

I don't recommend Auto-Pay because I have seen various situations that led to complaints in the T-Mobile forum about customers' accounts. The situations have been very different, so I won't go into the details here. One thing that I will say is that you should pay attention to your account, regardless of which payment method you choose. Being on Auto-Pay sometimes lulls people into not paying attention to their accounts.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
You can port the number over later. It is very easy to do online and for the past few lines I did for my friends the whole process took about 15 minutes (number ported).

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been using this plan with my Nexus 4 for a while now. Popped the SIM into my Nexus 5 and everything works fine. Picked up LTE immediately too. :D

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been using this plan with my Nexus 4 for a while now. Popped the SIM into my Nexus 5 and everything works fine. Picked up LTE immediately too. :D

Awesome.

Just curious, what does the signal indicator in the top bar look like? Does it change between Edge, HSPA, and LTE? And if so, what does it display when it does?

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Awesome.

Just curious, what does the signal indicator in the top bar look like? Does it change between Edge, HSPA, and LTE? And if so, what does it display when it does?

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

This is what it looks like. The "LTE" changes to "H" when you're on HSPA.
n5-statusbar.png

deeznutz206

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

I have this plan too but I'm new to Android. What do you use to not use up your 100 mins for this plan? People have been saying use Groove IP.

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have this plan too but I'm new to Android. What do you use to not use up your 100 mins for this plan? People have been saying use Groove IP.

Nope, I don't talk on the phone too much so 100 minutes per month is perfect for me. I haven't really looked into services like Groove IP, so I can't comment on them.

Wiggy0211

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread:) I could use some advice. I have a VZ line and wife has Tmobile line. Goal here is to move my # to new tmobile pre and move wife's # to my existing VZ line. We're closing down wife's current tmobile line. Both are out of contract. I know I can port wife's tmobile to VZ but how or at what point do I move my # to tmobile?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile S3 and took the sim card and placed my N5 on start up. It try to active the Sim Card and couldn't I guess because it was already active Idk. It just won't automatically pick up the mobile network. I had to manual search and select T-Mobile.

I do have problem every time I turn off WiFi it seems take to long to reconnect the mobile network and I have to search and select T-Mobile again. I have only done this twice since I have been home on WiFi. Idk if this is an issue or not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app