Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 216
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Cool Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    This thread is for people using their Nexus 5 on the T-Mobile $30/month prepaid plan. (100 minutes, unlimited text, 5 GB LTE)

    My Nexus 5 arrives tomorrow so I feel right about now would be a good time to start this up. A simple call to TMo customer service with the IMEI and a switch of my current Micro-SIM into the N5 should be all it takes for me to get up and running again with the N5. To clarify, I already have the $30 plan active on my S4. Obviously, the steps will be a little different for the many switching to this plan (some angry VZW users in particular) first-time to use the N5 on. This can be a space to talk about any concerns, questions, problems with the combination of the device and the plan's service.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    I am planning on testing Tmobile in my area first with the Nexus 5 on the $30 prepaid plan. I am going to keep my Gnex with VZW until it expires in December. I have preordered the microSim card for Tmobile. I am curious how I go about setting up this plan once I get the card and Nexus 5 in the mail.
    Question- If I like the Tmobile service can I then switch my number from VZW in December to the prepaid I will have soon? ( I plan on, for now, getting it with a different phone number)
    Any help/advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Great question will probably be doing the same but coming from boost mobile and transferring my number over later to T-Mobile after testing. I've been told its slightly more difficult to port over later then during activation which would involve visiting a store? Seems like it should be possible to contact support as we'll.
  4. #4  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,167 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Note: You can get the SIM for this at .
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    I'm not on Tmobile currently but my sprint contract is ending early next month. I was looking into this $30/mo tmobile plan but the walmart page specifically says this, "The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com". How would I go about switching to tmobile and getting this plan and transferring my old number from sprint? Also, does one have to keep purchasing these $30/mo prepaid cards from walmart to continue service or can you setup an automatic payment to continue each month?

    Thanks in advance!
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentrix View Post
    This thread is for people using their Nexus 5 on the T-Mobile $30/month prepaid plan. (100 minutes, unlimited text, 5 GB LTE)

    My Nexus 5 arrives tomorrow so I feel right about now would be a good time to start this up. A simple call to TMo customer service with the IMEI and a switch of my current Micro-SIM into the N5 should be all it takes for me to get up and running again with the N5. To clarify, I already have the $30 plan active on my S4. Obviously, the steps will be a little different for the many switching to this plan (some angry VZW users in particular) first-time to use the N5 on. This can be a space to talk about any concerns, questions, problems with the combination of the device and the plan's service.
    Just curious, why do you have to call T-Mobile to give them your IMEI from the Nexus 5? I switch phones all the time on this plan and never call T-Mobile to let them know that I am doing so.

    Quote Originally Posted by androidpirate View Post
    I'm not on Tmobile currently but my sprint contract is ending early next month. I was looking into this $30/mo tmobile plan but the walmart page specifically says this, "The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com". How would I go about switching to tmobile and getting this plan and transferring my old number from sprint? Also, does one have to keep purchasing these $30/mo prepaid cards from walmart to continue service or can you setup an automatic payment to continue each month?

    Thanks in advance!
    You can set-up Auto-Pay (though I don't recommend it) for this plan, or pay with an EFT/ACH, or credit card every month by logging in to MyT-Mobile.

    I don't recommend Auto-Pay because I have seen various situations that led to complaints in the T-Mobile forum about customers' accounts. The situations have been very different, so I won't go into the details here. One thing that I will say is that you should pay attention to your account, regardless of which payment method you choose. Being on Auto-Pay sometimes lulls people into not paying attention to their accounts.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    What is roaming like on this plan? I haven't been able to find very good information.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mattjopete View Post
    What is roaming like on this plan? I haven't been able to find very good information.
    You get voice roaming but no data roaming.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    You can port the number over later. It is very easy to do online and for the past few lines I did for my friends the whole process took about 15 minutes (number ported).

    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  
    Choorp's Avatar

    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    I've been using this plan with my Nexus 4 for a while now. Popped the SIM into my Nexus 5 and everything works fine. Picked up LTE immediately too.
    drhere and jdbii like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    I've been using this plan with my Nexus 4 for a while now. Popped the SIM into my Nexus 5 and everything works fine. Picked up LTE immediately too.
    Awesome.

    Just curious, what does the signal indicator in the top bar look like? Does it change between Edge, HSPA, and LTE? And if so, what does it display when it does?

    Thanks

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Do I need to call T-mobile if I'm going to put my micro-SIM (i already have the $30 plan) into the Nexus 5 from my old phone?
  13. #13  
    Choorp's Avatar

    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentrix View Post
    Awesome.

    Just curious, what does the signal indicator in the top bar look like? Does it change between Edge, HSPA, and LTE? And if so, what does it display when it does?

    Thanks

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    This is what it looks like. The "LTE" changes to "H" when you're on HSPA.
  14. #14  
    deeznutz206's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    I've been using this plan with my Nexus 4 for a while now. Popped the SIM into my Nexus 5 and everything works fine. Picked up LTE immediately too.
    I have this plan too but I'm new to Android. What do you use to not use up your 100 mins for this plan? People have been saying use Groove IP.
  15. #15  
    Choorp's Avatar

    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz206 View Post
    I have this plan too but I'm new to Android. What do you use to not use up your 100 mins for this plan? People have been saying use Groove IP.
    Nope, I don't talk on the phone too much so 100 minutes per month is perfect for me. I haven't really looked into services like Groove IP, so I can't comment on them.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    This is what it looks like. The "LTE" changes to "H" when you're on HSPA.
    Perfect, thanks.
  17. #17  
    Wiggy0211's Avatar

    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Thanks for starting this thread I could use some advice. I have a VZ line and wife has Tmobile line. Goal here is to move my # to new tmobile pre and move wife's # to my existing VZ line. We're closing down wife's current tmobile line. Both are out of contract. I know I can port wife's tmobile to VZ but how or at what point do I move my # to tmobile?
  18. #18  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    T-Mobile S3 and took the sim card and placed my N5 on start up. It try to active the Sim Card and couldn't I guess because it was already active Idk. It just won't automatically pick up the mobile network. I had to manual search and select T-Mobile.

    I do have problem every time I turn off WiFi it seems take to long to reconnect the mobile network and I have to search and select T-Mobile again. I have only done this twice since I have been home on WiFi. Idk if this is an issue or not.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile  Prepaid Plan Thread-1383617516055.jpg
    Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile  Prepaid Plan Thread-1383617543356.jpg

    Which one do I select for T-Mobile.
    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nexusbandwagon View Post
    Do I need to call T-mobile if I'm going to put my micro-SIM (i already have the $30 plan) into the Nexus 5 from my old phone?
    No, I don't think so. My son broke his 4 and when his HTC one arrived he just put the sim card in and he was good. Hope this helps.

    Somewhere
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    Just did a new activation on the Nexus 5. Pretty painless but don't do it on the phone itself. Stupid mobile browser won't show the "next" button on the activation screen so I had to activate it on my desktop. Does anyone know the APN settings for 4G LTE?

    Nevermind! Looks like they automatically put the high speed APN upon activation.
    Last edited by jairusz; 11-05-2013 at 08:30 AM.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    there's a tutorial thread on xda that shows step by step instructions on how to switch to this prepaid plan. ignore the micro sim mod stuff.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    One of the many disgruntled/angry switchers from VZW - I'm still using a DINC2 nonrooted so I already know the software etc will be huge learning curve, but I've also never done a GSM phone or other networks. With this plan, if I don't have a SIM card, does that come with the WalMart purchase or do I need to get that somewhere else? 2 different purchases (one SIM card & one $30 plan, both at WalMart, @TMo, both or can this be done in one shot?) I want to clarify - I can either take a new number entirely (and port my VZW # over later once I test the TMo network) or set the phone up with my GVoice number initially?

    Also, can someone point me to any threads about the apps for the WiFi calling/txting stuff? I see it mentioned fairly randomly in threads, but not sure if there are dedicated ones. Thanks!
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    I just signed up for this.

    Now i have an att phone (work)
    Verizon (G2 ...Soon gone)

    T-mobile 30 dollar pre-pay (N5)
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 owners with T-Mobile $30 Prepaid Plan Thread

    For those asking, you don't have to call T-Mobile customer service to update the IMEI if you're already on this plan and doing a hardware swap.
    Just installing the SIM should work. Updating the IMEI with TMo is optional but keeps them up to date on the device you have. I do it because it only takes a few minutes.
    jdbii likes this.
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Super Battery for Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
    By en28so in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 08:22 PM
  2. Google Play Store + Nexus 5 != European Model
    By crazie in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-14-2013, 03:01 AM
  3. The verge Nexus 5 review
    By delta7 in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 05:49 PM
  4. WTS: Mint Condition N4 with accessories
    By dkoss in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
  5. Issue with adding new language settings to Samsung Galaxy S4
    By lang101 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

B