Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Infinity
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Default Does Tethering Work on Nexus 5 on Sprint?

Has anyone activated their Nexus 5 that they purchased from Google Play (which, I would guess so seeing as the Nexus 5 isn't available at Sprint until Friday) and activated it on Sprint? If so, does tethering work?

Default Re: Does Tethering Work on Nexus 5 on Sprint?

I'm unlocked and rooted, still can't get my tether to work.

It wouldn't be a Nexus 5 issue unless the App you are using doesn't support Android 4.4 Kit Kat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    It wouldn't be a Nexus 5 issue unless the App you are using doesn't support Android 4.4 Kit Kat.
    Why do I need to download an app to tether/hotspot? It's already built into KitKat. Is this something sprint can block on their end?

I haven't been with Sprint for a while but my Nexus S 4G had the built in tethering app but it wouldn't work. Sprint had the ability to block its use if you didn't have a tethering plan. The device would connect to the hotspot but there would be no internet connection.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by superblast View Post
    I haven't been with Sprint for a while but my Nexus S 4G had the built in tethering app but it wouldn't work. Sprint had the ability to block its use if you didn't have a tethering plan. The device would connect to the hotspot but there would be no internet connection.
    Actually, this is probably not the case anymore as I had a Galaxy S4 rooted and I was able to tether without problems.

Now on my Nexus 5, it shows I can tether, but when I connect computers/tablets to it, it will not actually connect to the internet.

Global Posts
    1,329 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

I have it on my corp line so I can't say if it's "checking" with AT&T or not but it started tethering almost immediately (not a few seconds when it checks for authorization) so IMO it isn't verifying with the carrier.

It will only work if you pay extra for hotspot from Sprint or wait for a hack.

Found fix on xda-developers - View Single Post - Nexus 5 tethering block? at least for T-Mobile. Worked like a charm for me. Still can't get my laptop to connect to the network though...something to do with Windows 8 not connecting to ad hoc networks by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirynx View Post
    Found fix on xda-developers - View Single Post - Nexus 5 tethering block? at least for T-Mobile. Worked like a charm for me. Still can't get my laptop to connect to the network though...something to do with Windows 8 not connecting to ad hoc networks by default.
    I can confirm this works on Sprint N5, even without a hotspot plan. I'm using windows 7 but even then it wouldnt connect without setting up WP2 on my phone first.

ludesleep likes this.