Using Hangouts for SMS/Texts/MMS is really going to take some getting used to

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Why does it suck?

not a fan of the UI - wasn't really intuitive - where/how do you send a MMS? and part of the UI also looked cartoonish.

the best one i saw so far was 8SMS which basically looked like cleaner more powerful version of the stock sms app. but no MMS?????????

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
not a fan of the UI - wasn't really intuitive - where/how do you send a MMS? and part of the UI also looked cartoonish.

the best one i saw so far was 8SMS which basically looked like cleaner more powerful version of the stock sms app. but no MMS?????????

To send an MMS just push the plus button.

axis.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I actually posted this question in a sticky'd thread and then noticed this one shortly after, so I'll re-post my question here as it seems more fitting...

Coming from a BB and only ever owning BB smartphones, I'm confused. What's the point of hangouts? BBs have a messaging system in which ALL messages can be customized and organized in the message console (BBM, Whatsapp, FB notifications/messages, emails, texts, etc.). I can specify exactly what I want included and everything is seamlessly integrated. Is "hangouts" Android's version of the BB messaging interface?

I had always assumed that both iPhones and Androids would have such a simple feature....and that a "hangouts" messaging system wasn't necessary....am I missing something here?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
OT - i love big phones. i had the OG EVO 4.3" when it was considered HUGE. i then had the 4.65" G-Nex. now i have the 5" (4.95") Nexus 5. and as of today i think i reached my limit. i love the big beautiful display - but any device bigger than this would be too unwieldy for me i think.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually posted this question in a sticky'd thread and then noticed this one shortly after, so I'll re-post my question here as it seems more fitting...

Coming from a BB and only ever owning BB smartphones, I'm confused. What's the point of hangouts? BBs have a messaging system in which ALL messages can be customized and organized in the message console (BBM, Whatsapp, FB notifications/messages, emails, texts, etc.). I can specify exactly what I want included and everything is seamlessly integrated. Is "hangouts" Android's version of the BB messaging interface?

I had always assumed that both iPhones and Androids would have such a simple feature....and that a "hangouts" messaging system wasn't necessary....am I missing something here?

unified messaging. one stop shopping on all devices in any form.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
OK - here's a question - being new to GSM - WhereTF do i store my SIM tool without losing it? and are these things a big deal? in the many unboxing videos i watched i saw a lot of oohs and awwws when they saw the SIM toool like it was a 5 carat diamond or big nugget of gold.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
OK - here's a question - being new to GSM - WhereTF do i store my SIM tool without losing it? and are these things a big deal? in the many unboxing videos i watched i saw a lot of oohs and awwws when they saw the SIM toool like it was a 5 carat diamond or big nugget of gold.

It's a paperclip if you do lose it. But I keep mine in my pen cup on my desk.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
SIM card tray hole seems smaller than a paperclip - no?

IMG_20131105_051803930.jpg

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
also - this Dialer is going to take some time to get used to as well. it's very busy and crowded.

- - - Updated - - -

The mini paperclip works (successfully opened the Moto X), the big one is too big.

ok you mean the regular paper clip works not the jumbo? but do you have a Nexus 5? i'm telling you that hole is tiny.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i will say the the G-Nex's rounded curved edges and slightly curved back felt more natural and comfortable in the hand than does the squared thin flat Nexus 5. although perhaps like an old shoe vs. a new shoe - i'm just not used to it yet. i do think that 5" display (or at least this size Nexus 5 form factor) is my max. anything bigger is too unwieldy - and i love big phone displays!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
also - this Dialer is going to take some time to get used to as well. it's very busy and crowded.

- - - Updated - - -

ok you mean the regular paper clip works not the jumbo? but do you have a Nexus 5? i'm telling you that hole is tiny.

The little one is about 1 1/4" long (when curved) and it works. The big one is about 1 3/4" long and much thicker, does not fit. I have the Moto X, same size SIM tool.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
The little one is about 1 1/4" long (when curved) and it works. The big one is about 1 3/4" long and much thicker, does not fit. I have the Moto X, same size SIM tool.

well i don't really plan on swapping out SIM cards as i only have one phone and i don't plan on leaving AT&T GoPhone anytime soon - nor do i plan on traveling overseas soon. if you watch the unboxing videos everyone goes oooooohhh and ahhhh over the included SIM tool. why?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge