Will Verizon allow Nexus 5 in the future when they have AWS LTE ?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was Nexus that didn't support some spectrum frequencies that Verizon used till I read this. It sounds like when VZ's upcoming AWS LTE network is up and running it won't be an issue.

Technically, it supports Verizon Wireless’ CDMA 850/1900 network, but Verizon Wireless will not permit the device to operate on its network. And of course, it lacks support for Verizon Wireless’ band 13 LTE network (though it will support Verizon Wireless’ upcoming AWS LTE network). It can technically operate on US Cellular’s network through its support for CDMA 850/1900 and LTE band 5 and C Spire’s network through CDMA 850/1900 with LTE band 25, but neither operator will permit the device to connect to their networks.

Nexus 5: Excellent global coverage, perplexing LTE support

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I honestly think Verizon hates how open the device is. I have read a few other tech writers say that Verizon seemed to hate the Nexus with a passion, and love to lock down devices.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I honestly think Verizon hates how open the device is. I have read a few other tech writers say that Verizon seemed to hate the Nexus with a passion, and love to lock down devices.

+1
Since it is basically a phone that you can bring to any carrier you want to use it on. They can't sell you a locked down version of it, Nexus phones are the easiest to modify and Verizon doesn't like people doing that :(

Posted via Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

That makes sense since carriers use new phone replacement to lock in people to new 2 year contracts when they have less than a year to go on their current contract. What T-Mobile started to get out of that subsidize phones it changed the cell carrier business. When T-Mobile acquired #5 Metro PCS and let it operate independently on both of their networks spectrum it forced AT&T to start AIO Wireless to compete.

Google is selling phones that are getting closer to being universal at least in North America that are selling unlocked and much cheaper than old school carriers like Verizon that still want the 2 year lock in contract. The carriers have blocked Google from using NFC with Google Wallet and now the Carriers are not happy with Google giving people a quality phone without contracts.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
+1
Since it is basically a phone that you can bring to any carrier you want to use it on. They can't sell you a locked down version of it, Nexus phones are the easiest to modify and Verizon doesn't like people doing that :(

Posted via Android Central App

That makes sense since carriers use new phone replacement to lock in people to new 2 year contracts when they have less than a year to go on their current contract. What T-Mobile started to get out of that subsidize phones it changed the cell carrier business. When T-Mobile acquired #5 Metro PCS and let it operate independently on both of their networks spectrum it forced AT&T to start AIO Wireless to compete.

Google is selling phones that are getting closer to being universal at least in North America that are selling unlocked and much cheaper than old school carriers like Verizon that still want the 2 year lock in contract. The carriers have blocked Google from using NFC with Google Wallet and now the Carriers are not happy with Google giving people a quality phone without contracts.

Another example is the Moto X bootloader cannot be unlocked on Verizon. That means no custom recovery, and thus no custom ROM.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty