Nexus 5: Problems & Issues

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems & Issues

Well here's my battery stats. On ART since Saturday evening, so at least two solid days. I don't notice much difference, tbh.

Edit: Overall, this actually is an improvement over what I'd been getting after adding a lot of data to my phone. I really can't say enough how happy I am with the standby battery on this phone compared to my others, and the screen on time is good too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389716550706.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389716550706.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 41
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389716564148.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389716564148.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 40

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site

Well here's my battery stats. On ART since Saturday evening, so at least two solid days. I don't notice much difference, tbh.

Edit: Overall, this actually is an improvement over what I'd been getting after adding a lot of data to my phone. I really can't say enough how happy I am with the standby battery on this phone compared to my others, and the screen on time is good too.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm getting on a consistent basis, using ART. 17-18 hours on-time, 5-6 hours screen time, 20% battery remaining.

FWIW, I changed the GPS location back to high accuracy , and my numbers weren't affected that much. I need the GPS for my travels, so I just leave it on now.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

That's pretty much exactly what I'm getting on a consistent basis, using ART. 17-18 hours on-time, 5-6 hours screen time, 20% battery remaining.

FWIW, I changed the GPS location back to high accuracy , and my numbers weren't affected that much. I need the GPS for my travels, so I just leave it on now.

That's great! Do you usually have a strong LTE signal? I'm still not on a carrier with the N5 (have to pay Sprint etf first, not going to attempt using it on Sprint here) and I'm dreading the drain to come because none of the carriers are excellent in my location.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site

That's great! Do you usually have a strong LTE signal? I'm still not on a carrier with the N5 (have to pay Sprint etf first, not going to attempt using it on Sprint here) and I'm dreading the drain to come because none of the carriers are excellent in my location.

Because I'm usually on travel, it depends on where I am, but I'd say that the signal is usually around 3 bars.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Damn! I still can't get over how much screen on time you get. Do you have the Facebook app? Do you keep the "OK Google" now functionality on? Brightness setting below 15%? Google Now enabled?

I have the FB app (with hourly notifications), I keep "OK Google" on, brightness between 10-15%, and don't use Google Now....and have to really push it to get 5 hours of screen on time with less than 5% battery left. Also, I'm on Wi-Fi while at home, which is a good deal of the time, and generally have at least 1-2 bars of LTE service everywhere else I frequent regularly.

Sorry to bug you about it but I'd just really like to pick up some tips if you have some useful ones. Or go forward with that RMA I was granted if my battery life simply can't improve from what it currently is (4-5 hours screen on time and only if no GPS is used, no games played, and little to no videos watched; though the standby time is pretty excellent).

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I think the biggest difference is I don't do Facebook so I don't have the app installed. I do have Google Now and OK Google on, and I'm on battery saving mode for those. I have screen brightness at about 30%. I'm on WiFi only still. If I watch videos I get less screen on time. Can't really think what else might be contributing. Oh, only 2 home screens plus the Google Now, only 1 weather widget, stock wallpaper (live papers and widgets eat battery). :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Oh yeah, the only thing set to sync now is my gmail. I turned off sync for everything else, as well as search for texts and a few other Google services settings.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I've found screen brightness to be the whole ball game if you want maximum battery life. Everything else is almost an afterthought. Quite frankly I'd rather recharge a little more often and have a bright beautiful screen at a minimum of 50% and often 75% and sometimes even 100%.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

That's just way too bright for me, unless it's outside where I'm wearing sunglasses anyway. :)

oerios

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Hey guys I have been having strange network issues while using my mobile network. If I'm downloading an app from the play store, a file on the browser or something similar all my other network services stop. For example, if I'm downloading an app on the play store and then try to keep browsing the store it won't load at all and give me a network error. This only happens while using my mobile network and not on Wi-Fi and has been a problem since I first started using my phone. I asked my carrier about it and without much investigation they dismissed the problem as a problem with my phone settings. What could be causing this?
Thanks for any help you can provide me with.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nldr

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

Hey guys I have been having strange network issues while using my mobile network. If I'm downloading an app from the play store, a file on the browser or something similar all my other network services stop. For example, if I'm downloading an app on the play store and then try to keep browsing the store it won't load at all and give me a network error. This only happens while using my mobile network and not on Wi-Fi and has been a problem since I first started using my phone. I asked my carrier about it and without much investigation they dismissed the problem as a problem with my phone settings. What could be causing this?

There have been people reporting that they have exchanged their n5s for radio/ GPS issues.. You may have faulty hardware..maybe time to RMA

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Did you use an old SIM card?

mattboote

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site

Hi my problem is Wi-Fi related. With other devices the Wi-Fi works great it's just when I use this phone the signal is weak and drops out. People say use the airplane mode trick but that is only temporary as you have to keep doing it. Do you guys think that it will be fixed completely in 4.4.3 and if so when do you think it will be released?
Thanks

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

Hi my problem is Wi-Fi related. With other devices the Wi-Fi works great it's just when I use this phone the signal is weak and drops out. People say use the airplane mode trick but that is only temporary as you have to keep doing it. Do you guys think that it will be fixed completely in 4.4.3 and if so when do you think it will be released?
Thanks

I also experience the WiFi problem with my Nexus 5 as many others do. Have to turn off WiFi and reconnect on my home network many days. Often it takes several times for it to work. Hopefully Google will address this in an update. Honestly no one really knows when and if a fix is coming. That is outside of Google and certainly they haven't even acknowledged the WiFi problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Dmitry Tselishchev

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site

Hi
My new Nexus 5 from the box have problem with battery level. It stuck on 87% and never change, after on/off, after full recovery, after full discharge and full charge - nothing helps. Does anyone know what's my problem?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Hi
My new Nexus 5 from the box have problem with battery level. It stuck on 87% and never change, after on/off, after full recovery, after full discharge and full charge - nothing helps. Does anyone know what's my problem?

That does sound like a problem you may need a replacement for.

HailStorm26

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Thanks

Go to wifi then advanced in the dotted menu. Then if "avoid poor connections" is checked then UNcheck it. I had checked it and mine was disconnecting me from my home wifi when i had 2 of 4 bars. When I unchecked it again I never had that problem again.

If that does not fix it then I still do not quite believe it is a problem with version 4.4.2. Seems as if only a minority of people report the wifi disconnect issues. As a software support tech I know any issues (a bug) with a specific version would effect every one with that version. Just as the camera and sound issues everyone on on 4.4. So if you or anyone continue to experience it, then it is highly likely something wrong with your wifi hardware on your phone.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for that tip, I am going to try it. Have had some thoughts that my home Wi-Fi could have something to do with an only when I'm asleep battery drain issue I've been dealing with. It's super fast 30mbps Comcast but the router isn't the best (often only have 1-2 bars in my bedroom and end up shutting off Wi-Fi completely when in my kitchen or family room because the signal is so weak). Also, I'm going to try changing the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" mode to "only when plugged in".

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site

I have been using my N5 for 3 weeks and found 1 stuck red pixel and 1 dead pixel. I tried a utility but to no effect. Also I don't notice any change or flicker in them at any time. Debating about RMA. It's not bad, but once you know it's there it's hard to not notice.