Nexus 5: Problems & Issues

TandroyFoty

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list.

I uninstalled my Swype keyboard and was in the process of reinstalling a new one when my phone screen shut off. Now, on the lock screen, no keyboard pops up when I try to enter my password, only the Google Voice red button, which doesn't actually record anything. It just stays statically in red 'waiting for results.' When I press the keyboard image next to the password input box, the 'Choose Input Method' option shows up, with no options to select from. I've tried clearing the cache as well, to no avail.

How can I get past this seemingly minor problem which has completely locked me out of my phone?

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5 is full of bugs ever since kitkat updates kicked in. Its getting worse and worse. It is becoming frustrating to use it as a phone. I mean since this morning i restarted it twice. First of all it keeps losing data connection.. Second of all app support is crazy devs update apps almost daily in order to fix something but in my experience they might fixing something but at they same time they break something. It might be due to recent major kitkat update. But as far as i remember nexus 4 on jelly bean was flawless, probably best OS experience on the phone I've had. There was a thing not a while ago when phone behaved bad due to hardware limitations but hardware makers overcame this problem at least for a flagship phones or phones which up to date. Nexus 5 has no problems with it because its a pretty beefy phone in terms of specs. Now, I'll try to keep going with N5 and stock android but its tempting to switch to another phone. Apps i can live with it i dont use that many of them but simple things like data drops drives me nuts

e22homey

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey everybody I'm new to this forum but I have a question and it's been bothering me ever since this morning. I went to sleep charging my N5 I woke up nearly 8 hours later and it's stuck on 77%. So I then woke up used the batter until 48% and I charged it again it only went to maximum 77%. Anyone know what's going on?

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey everybody I'm new to this forum but I have a question and it's been bothering me ever since this morning. I went to sleep charging my N5 I woke up nearly 8 hours later and it's stuck on 77%. So I then woke up used the batter until 48% and I charged it again it only went to maximum 77%. Anyone know what's going on?
Boot into recovery and wipe the system cache. Seems like a common fix for what seems like a common problem lately. Let me know if that works.

Shikhar Oberoi

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Hii guys.

I just noticed that my phone's right speaker stopped working.

No music playback , no incoming call sound from that speaker.

Bought my phone in may. Red color , 32 Gb.

Seems like a hardware problem, does anybody faced this issue ?

Is there any service menu where we can check all the hardware of the phone ?

Ps : sony had a service menu (dial *#*#7378423#*#* ie *#*#service#*#* ) in which i was able to check screen , speakers and mostly everything.

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 5 has only one speaker--it's the grille on the left. The grille on the right houses the microphone. I know, it seems a little deceptive, doesn't it? But realistically, stereo speakers that are only 2 inches apart don't really make much sense, if you think about it ...

Shikhar Oberoi

May 1, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 5 has only one speaker--it's the grille on the left. The grille on the right houses the microphone. I know, it seems a little deceptive, doesn't it? But realistically, stereo speakers that are only 2 inches apart don't really make much sense, if you think about it ...

This seemed weird to me so i asked my friend having n5 and he confirmed this.

Thanks for letting me know. :)

And seriously why they gave just 1 speaker :mad:

obilisk

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
i have bought a nexus 5 nearly a year now and it has worked perfectly the problem occurred two weeks ago it happened rarely when i unlock the phone it has a black screen so i had to force reboot with holding the power button , and it started to happen nearly every time i try to unlock it . i had stock android 4.4.4 then i tried at first factory reset and no positive results tried to go back to 4.4 same issue then a friend recommended cm 11 worked for nearly 24h perfectly then the same thing happened , now im on Slimkat and the black screen appears nearly every time i unlock it now even if unlock the phone successfully with no problems the screen turns black at any time now (home screen apps phone calls ...) it even turns black in boot after the google logo appears (the time the rom logo appears) although it never ever turns black at boot loader or recovery mod . previous searchs i have made lead me that the problem is caused by turning auto-brightness on and/or animation scale must be more than 0.5 and they are not the cause in my case . i think this is a software problem and not a faulty hardware anyone can help me find a solution for this problem please

this is a recording i have made of what i see : /Py5Tv5w8bGo
and this is another screen record made with adb while this problem occurred from 0:09 its a black screen for me and as you can see it's freezing : /uojsVZfm1y8

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
i have bought a nexus 5 nearly a year now and it has worked perfectly the problem occurred two weeks ago it happened rarely when i unlock the phone it has a black screen so i had to force reboot with holding the power button , and it started to happen nearly every time i try to unlock it . i had stock android 4.4.4 then i tried at first factory reset and no positive results tried to go back to 4.4 same issue then a friend recommended cm 11 worked for nearly 24h perfectly then the same thing happened , now im on Slimkat and the black screen appears nearly every time i unlock it now even if unlock the phone successfully with no problems the screen turns black at any time now (home screen apps phone calls ...) it even turns black in boot after the google logo appears (the time the rom logo appears) although it never ever turns black at boot loader or recovery mod . previous searchs i have made lead me that the problem is caused by turning auto-brightness on and/or animation scale must be more than 0.5 and they are not the cause in my case . i think this is a software problem and not a faulty hardware anyone can help me find a solution for this problem please

this is a recording i have made of what i see : /Py5Tv5w8bGo
and this is another screen record made with adb while this problem occurred from 0:09 its a black screen for me and as you can see it's freezing : /uojsVZfm1y8

This may not help but have you tried turning off the proximity sensor?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
no the proximity sensor is not the problem it actually works perfectly :'(

Then I'd think it would have to be a problem with an app. Did you install anything that would help control the phone (along the lines of Tasker, but something else similar)? Are you rooted? Using a custom ROM or kernel? I'd just start removing apps, starting with the most recent back to when this started happening. Good luck!

obilisk

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Then I'd think it would have to be a problem with an app. Did you install anything that would help control the phone (along the lines of Tasker, but something else similar)? Are you rooted? Using a custom ROM or kernel? I'd just start removing apps, starting with the most recent back to when this started happening. Good luck!
i think i have fixed it fresh stock rom 4.4 rooted and i have used the franco.Kernel updater app to update my kernel to r57 no updates for google apps no apps installed and the problem didn't occur will keep you updated if it happens again ^_^ ty

mariusfilip

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list.

An obvious icy white to the display that shouldn't be there. You've got to be kidding me right? That's not even close to acceptable for a display

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

lol....that is stock Kitkat...if you've bothered to flash a ROM that has the black theme...like Slimkat...you would have seen that that gradient efect isn't there, or any ROM with CM theme engine it's the same,only you have to download the 'black theme'...i can assure you that on my ex Nexus 4 and my current N5 i have exactly that gradient style theme,it's not the phone's defect :)

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully someone will know how to fix it.

Yes, same here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone else's email app crashing? I deleted my account and then added it again. But the app stops working every now and again.

I had this issue and think I've solved it. First you delete all accounts. Then go to settings, apps, email, and clear the data and cache. Now click on uninstall updates. After it reverts to the original version, add the accounts back. I did this two days ago and have not had a crash. Previously, I deleted and re-installed accounts without uninstalling updates and this would work for a few hours or days, but ultimately it would crash again.

This seems to be something related to the Jun 18 update for email as this issue started about a week later and I have been wrestling with it since. Hopefully the above solution will stick.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue and think I've solved it. First you delete all accounts. Then go to settings, apps, email, and clear the data and cache. Now click on uninstall updates. After it reverts to the original version, add the accounts back. I did this two days ago and have not had a crash. Previously, I deleted and re-installed accounts without uninstalling updates and this would work for a few hours or days, but ultimately it would crash again.

This seems to be something related to the Jun 18 update for email as this issue started about a week later and I have been wrestling with it since. Hopefully the above solution will stick.

It's something to try, thanks. :thumbup::)

hariboh

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
About one week ago I discovered a very irritating problem on my Nexus 5. On darker backgrounds I'm able to see a little purple spot near the top of my screen as seen on the attachment. Can I do anything about this? Or RMA is the only thing I can do?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• nexus5 screen.jpg
    nexus5 screen.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 49

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
About one week ago I discovered a very irritating problem on my Nexus 5. On darker backgrounds I'm able to see a little purple spot near the top of my screen as seen on the attachment. Can I do anything about this? Or RMA is the only thing I can do?
Thanks in advance.

That looks like a damaged screen to me. But I can't really tell.

Posted via Android Central App

maudlv

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Almost everytime I go in a zone with no mobile network coverage, whether I go in an underground train station in my city for some time or I catch a plane to go abroad, afterwards my phone has trouble connecting to mobile networks. Even when I go through "settings" > "network operators" > "search" and I click on the name of a nearby network my phone can't connect. Connection fails even if I turn it off, and renew the operation and sometimes my phone starts receiving 1 hours later, 1 day later or even 3 days later...

What can I do? My phone has a crack on the screen so I don't think can send it to a customer service.

Thank you,

Maud

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What wireless provider do you use? It might be best to ask them. Perhaps they can try a new SIM card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie