Nexus 5: Problems & Issues

TheDoctor 46

May 31, 2012
Visit site
We all have brand new shiny N5's, but eventually some will have hardware/software issues. Please list any issues that you're having here. As to see if it's widespread or unique to your unit and if there is a fix.
Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

bimgike75

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Problems and Issues list.

I've had noticeably poorer cellular reception (AT&T) as compared to my Note II that it replaced. I also have noticed some initial issues with data connectivity, both cellular and wifi, but those don't seem to be occurring as much today.

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

Should of went with the LG G2.. Lol

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

That has quite a well known lock screen issue and a very 'meh' camera due to LG's software.

My N5 actually for the first time *knocks wood* seems fine, the camera rattles a bit if you shake the device (Why would you) but I assume that's due to the OIS.

iMattGreat

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

Top volume button doesn't want to be pressed down sometimes. Hopefully it goes away. Also, poor reception on T-Mobile.

Rogue360

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

Screen pulsates on its own (auto dim is off)
Randomly vibrates
Randomly reboots (only had it a couple times)
Despite my brightness being down, according to the phone, 53% of the battery usage has been the screen..

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

My issue is that it get hot when doing the most simple tasks. Installing apps, browsing on chrome, and youtube. I understand that if I was gaming for a while and it will get hot but not when youre doing simple task. My co-worker stated that he does not get warm even after a hr of gaming. Read on XDA another person having the same issue as me.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

My issue is that it get hot when doing the most simple tasks. Installing apps, browsing on chrome, and youtube. I understand that if I was gaming for a while and it will get hot but not when youre doing simple task. My co-worker stated that he does not get warm even after a hr of gaming. Read on XDA another person having the same issue as me.

This is probably the first device I've had that DOESN'T get really warm doing simple tasks for a while. Haven't done any gaming yet but I do use my phone a lot in the initial setup/tinkering stages. And just on a daily basis. But haven't notices it getting even warm.

Posted via Android Central App

Ciege

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

First issue I've noticed on mine is with the Email app. I have several emails that show a received date of 12/31/1969. These emails are downloaded from my Yahoo account. They show up with the correct date in Yahoo.

David Eagan

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

When make a call my screen remains on and active. My nexus 4 turned off when i brought it close to my face and back on when i pulled it away. Does anyone else have this problem or know the fix?

Dan Hoover

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

I think I'm the only person in the world having this issue, but I bought my nexus 5 within ONE minute (2:01pm EDT email confirmation from google) of it going live after waiting for this phone for months. I think I set a google record in searches for this device. Unfortunately, I got my device and it reboots or turns itself off constantly. Even after factory reset, I can sit it on the table at the welcome screen (i.e. haven't even entered my name/wifi password) and the device will reboot on its own. I am so freaking disappointed that I don't even know what to do. Google is going to refund me, but a replacement would take a month. 32gb black version).

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Some issues with the new nexus 5 should be expected. Some things could be at the software level and some things could be complete faulty hardware. When you buy a phone release day, you can run into issues because it's the first batch. The manufacturing process isn't perfect yet and android beta testing doesn't catch everything. Anyway, I hope all of you that have issues will have them resolved shortly.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

I have problems with the People (Contacts) app, which is more of a Kit Kat thing, but annoying nonetheless. I have the app sync with my Exchange account and It has created a contact for every email address I have used on my computer at work, most of which are not in my contacts. I cannot find a way to only show only my actual contacts. I have around actual 200 contacts and it is showing 865 contacts. If someone has a fix, I would love to know.

Is the lock screen supposed to be able shortcut to apps? It looks like it should, but I cannot find any setting for it. You can move in four directions, but they all just unlock the screen.

Overall, I am underwhelmed with the phone and Kit Kat. The phone is fine and has some good points, it is just not as good as others out there, for my purposes. The price point is a huge plus, but there are a lot of things that other manufacturers offer with their software that are missing from stock android. There are apps to fill many of the gaps, but I feel like I am working too hard to get what LG, HTC, Samsung and others give you out of the box (and work better). I have a hard time convincing myself that I should use it instead of my GS4, G2 or Note III.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I have problems with the People (Contacts) app, which is more of a Kit Kat thing, but annoying nonetheless. I have the app sync with my Exchange account and It has created a contact for every email address I have used on my computer at work, most of which are not in my contacts. I cannot find a way to only show only my actual contacts. I have around actual 200 contacts and it is showing 865 contacts. If someone has a fix, I would love to know.

Is the lock screen supposed to be able shortcut to apps? It looks like it should, but I cannot find any setting for it. You can move in four directions, but they all just unlock the screen.

Overall, I am underwhelmed with the phone and Kit Kat. The phone is fine and has some good points, it is just not as good as others out there, for my purposes. The price point is a huge plus, but there are a lot of things that other manufacturers offer with their software that are missing from stock android. There are apps to fill many of the gaps, but I feel like I am working too hard to get what LG, HTC, Samsung and others give you out of the box (and work better). I have a hard time convincing myself that I should use it instead of my GS4, G2 or Note III.

Yeah I was going to sell my G2 and use this N5 so that I could make a couple hundred bucks after I payed for my nexus since I some excess cash to move but man.. it really feels like a big downgrade. I was hoping it would be passable but very unimpressed so far.

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

That has quite a well known lock screen issue and a very 'meh' camera due to LG's software.

My N5 actually for the first time *knocks wood* seems fine, the camera rattles a bit if you shake the device (Why would you) but I assume that's due to the OIS.

its probably not the Camera! I thought this about my nexus 4 it ended up being the pin inside the sim slot. place the sim card release pin in the slot and shake the phone you will no longer hear a rattle!

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Got mine on Monday and wouldn't turn on. I did all the trouble shooting steps, but no go. The only thing the phone would do is vibrate when I was doing the power button/volume up/volume down steps. Google is doing a replacement, but currently it shows that it won't be shipping for 2-3 weeks so that kind of sucks.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

Got mine on Monday and wouldn't turn on. I did all the trouble shooting steps, but no go. The only thing the phone would do is vibrate when I was doing the power button/volume up/volume down steps. Google is doing a replacement, but currently it shows that it won't be shipping for 2-3 weeks so that kind of sucks.

Sorry to hear that. The phone does vibrate when you turn it on, so it sounds like you got a unit with a completely dead screen. Hope your next one is perfect.

|❌_❌|

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I just had an issue where earpiece and microphone stopped working when making a test call. Rebooted device and then worked. Phone is completely stock, no apps installed yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang