Fastest 2.1A charger for Nexus 5

android010

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys,

I used the OEM charger that came with my Nexus 5 and it was very slow (1.2A). I read that 2.1A chargers can charge the phone much faster. I looked for one on Amazon and found two chargers:

Amazon.com: New Trent NT90C 10W 5V/2A Dual USB Ports high-speed AC Wall Charger for Smartphones, 5V Tablets and more.: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: Pwr+? Extra Long 6.5 Ft Cord 2A Rapid Charger Ac Adapter for Google Nexus 7 10 Tablet Tab ; Nexus S Phone ; Asus MeMO Pad Smart ; Samsung Galaxy 3, Note 8.0 Tablets: Computers & Accessories

Could you please tell me which one is the best for the nexus 5. Is it safe to use such chargers on it? like will it harm the battery, overheat, or even blow up the phone ?

Thanks in advance

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Most chargers I've run accross are indeed safe. A 2.1amp charger may simply charge your device faster. As long as the charger is not damaged you have nothing to fear.

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
The phone/tablet limits the amount of amperage needed.
Therefore the charger's ability of amperage could be bigger than the phone's/tablet's needing, but should not less.

If the N5's max allowed amperage is 1.2A then it would not take more amperage as 1.2A, even from a 2.1A charger.
But without increased charging amperage there isn't faster charging possible.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The phone/tablet limits the amount of amperage needed.
So the charger's ability of amperage could be bigger than the phone's/tablet's needing, but should not less.

If the N5's max allowed amperage is 1.2A then it would not take more amperage as 1.2A, even from a 2.1A charger.
Therefore without increased charging amperage there isn't faster charging possible.

LG may be including lower cost lower-amped chargers than the phone can accommodate.

Note 8.0

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Also be sure you have the appropriate USB cable, you can use a 2amp charger but the wrong cable will make it charge sloooow, i use the galaxy s4 charger and usb, that charges everything super fast including my N5 and N7 and the womans iPad and Sero

MkVsTheWorld

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Last time I used a charger with a higher amperage than what was given with the phone, I had problems. It didn't seem to charge significantly faster and it caused erratic touch screen performance (while plugged in). I personally don't think it's worth it.

Posted via Android Central App

nexer

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
So, what is the amperage of Nexus5? That is, the max amperage it draws from the charger? Is it 1.2A? Can anyone confirm the official number? I've a new nexus5 and am looking to purchase an appropriate car charger. Thanks.

BuffaloMadMan

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought the HP touchpad charger and its a 2 amp one and I love it. 15 dollars but worth it on amazon. And I agree my nexus 5 charges very slow with the official cable. I'm glad someone brought this up I thought I was going crazy.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys,

I used the OEM charger that came with my Nexus 5 and it was very slow (1.2A). I read that 2.1A chargers can charge the phone much faster.

Thanks in advance

Sorry I know this isn't what you ask but just how slow is the charger you got with the Nexus 5 charge your phone? I just wonder if your charger or phone is broken. The stock charger that came with my N5 can charge the phone from unable to boot to 100% in about two hours and a few minutes. I also timed going from like 48% to 100% in just a few minutes over one hour.

That seems pretty fast to me compared to all my other stuff like the 2012 Nexus 7 that takes over night to fully charge. How long does it take for your N5 to charge now?

Last edited:

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I know this isn't what you ask but just how slow does the charger you got with the Nexus 5 charge your phone? I just wonder if your charger or phone is broken. The stock charger that came with my N5 can charge the phone from unable to boot to 100% in about two hours a few minutes. I also timed going from like 48% to 100% in just a few minutes over one hour.

That seems pretty fast to me compared to all my other stuff like the 2012 Nexus 7 that takes over night to fully charge. How long does it take for your N5 to charge now?

Ditto. If the N5 OEM charger is not recharging the phone quickly, then IMO something is wrong. This phone charges faster than any phone I've had.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just charged using the OEM charger and it was less than 1.45 hours from 15% to full charge.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

BuffaloMadMan

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Let's see the one time probably my second charge it took almost 5-6 hours for my phone to charge from 25%. I was using the device as I was charging it so take that into account but it still should charge. It just takes forever but my 2 amp HP charger takes like an hour to charge it

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had the time or the energy to investigate this further, but I thought I would report on something I noticed just a few days ago.

When I plug the Nexus 5 into the factory-supplied charger with the factory-supplied cable and then go to Settings -> Battery, it says "xx% - Charging (AC)". I get the same results with a few other chargers I routinely use such as the one I picked up at Staple's and use when I am in my office.

However, a few days ago I had my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 plugged in and charging using its own 2.1 amp charger. When that was completely charged, I unplugged the USB cable from the brick and then plugged my Nexus 5 in to the same brick using the regular (factory-supplied) cable. After a few hours had passed I was surprised to see that the Nexus was still a long way from fully charged; looking a bit closer, I saw that Settings -> Battery, reported "xx% - Charging (USB)". I checked with a few other USB cables I had nearby and it was always the same. For whatever reason, the Nexus 5 charged only in USB mode when connected to the Samsung 2.1 amp charger.

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Anandtech says that the Nexus 5 charging limits input to a max of 1.5A.

When it comes to charging, Google continues to do the sane thing and implement BC 1.2 signaling. Unlike the LG Optimus G, the Nexus 5 does not use the battery charging IC Qualcomm makes for use in conjunction with its normal PMICs, instead it uses the TI BQ24192 to charge at up to 1.5 A maximum and a MAX17048 fuel gauge. This seems to be done in order to accommodate wireless charging, though there could be other cost considerations at play. The Nexus 5 seems to charge in the linear region at just above 1 A however, although the limit set for BQ24192 is 1.5 A, and has a total charge time just above 2.5 hours on the supplied 1.2 A charger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez