Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fastest 2.1A charger for Nexus 5

Hello guys,

I used the OEM charger that came with my Nexus 5 and it was very slow (1.2A). I read that 2.1A chargers can charge the phone much faster. I looked for one on Amazon and found two chargers:

Amazon.com: New Trent NT90C 10W 5V/2A Dual USB Ports high-speed AC Wall Charger for Smartphones, 5V Tablets and more.: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: Pwr+ Extra Long 6.5 Ft Cord 2A Rapid Charger Ac Adapter for Google Nexus 7 10 Tablet Tab ; Nexus S Phone ; Asus MeMO Pad Smart ; Samsung Galaxy 3, Note 8.0 Tablets: Computers & Accessories

Could you please tell me which one is the best for the nexus 5. Is it safe to use such chargers on it? like will it harm the battery, overheat, or even blow up the phone ?

Thanks in advance

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Fastest 2.1A charger for Nexus 5

Most chargers I've run accross are indeed safe. A 2.1amp charger may simply charge your device faster. As long as the charger is not damaged you have nothing to fear.
    Live long and prosper.

Possible solution is picking up a Samsung galaxy note 2 or 3 charger, they are both 2amp

Sent from Xperia Note

The phone/tablet limits the amount of amperage needed.
    Therefore the charger's ability of amperage could be bigger than the phone's/tablet's needing, but should not less.

If the N5's max allowed amperage is 1.2A then it would not take more amperage as 1.2A, even from a 2.1A charger.
    But without increased charging amperage there isn't faster charging possible.
    Last edited by Adamsberg; 11-05-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    Twizdedsista likes this.

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Adamsberg View Post
    The phone/tablet limits the amount of amperage needed.
    So the charger's ability of amperage could be bigger than the phone's/tablet's needing, but should not less.

If the N5's max allowed amperage is 1.2A then it would not take more amperage as 1.2A, even from a 2.1A charger.
    Therefore without increased charging amperage there isn't faster charging possible.
    LG may be including lower cost lower-amped chargers than the phone can accommodate.

Note 8.0
    Live long and prosper.

Also be sure you have the appropriate USB cable, you can use a 2amp charger but the wrong cable will make it charge sloooow, i use the galaxy s4 charger and usb, that charges everything super fast including my N5 and N7 and the womans iPad and Sero

Last time I used a charger with a higher amperage than what was given with the phone, I had problems. It didn't seem to charge significantly faster and it caused erratic touch screen performance (while plugged in). I personally don't think it's worth it.

Posted via Android Central App

I have been using this for years with all my electronics with no problems-: iPod, iPhone, iPad, Kindle, Pebble watch, Nexus 4, Nexus 7

Amazon.com: PowerGen White 2.4-Amp (12 Watt) Dual USB Wall Charger w/Sviwal Plug Designed for Apple and Android Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories

So, what is the amperage of Nexus5? That is, the max amperage it draws from the charger? Is it 1.2A? Can anyone confirm the official number? I've a new nexus5 and am looking to purchase an appropriate car charger. Thanks.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

The charger that came with my phone seems to charge the phone very fast in my opinion.

Posted via Nexus 5

I bought the HP touchpad charger and its a 2 amp one and I love it. 15 dollars but worth it on amazon. And I agree my nexus 5 charges very slow with the official cable. I'm glad someone brought this up I thought I was going crazy.

Here is the link for the charger I was talking about http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0055Q...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

Quote Originally Posted by android010 View Post
    Hello guys,

I used the OEM charger that came with my Nexus 5 and it was very slow (1.2A). I read that 2.1A chargers can charge the phone much faster.

Thanks in advance
    Sorry I know this isn't what you ask but just how slow is the charger you got with the Nexus 5 charge your phone? I just wonder if your charger or phone is broken. The stock charger that came with my N5 can charge the phone from unable to boot to 100% in about two hours and a few minutes. I also timed going from like 48% to 100% in just a few minutes over one hour.

That seems pretty fast to me compared to all my other stuff like the 2012 Nexus 7 that takes over night to fully charge. How long does it take for your N5 to charge now?
    Last edited by Shilohcane; 12-09-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Sorry I know this isn't what you ask but just how slow does the charger you got with the Nexus 5 charge your phone? I just wonder if your charger or phone is broken. The stock charger that came with my N5 can charge the phone from unable to boot to 100% in about two hours a few minutes. I also timed going from like 48% to 100% in just a few minutes over one hour.

That seems pretty fast to me compared to all my other stuff like the 2012 Nexus 7 that takes over night to fully charge. How long does it take for your N5 to charge now?
    Ditto. If the N5 OEM charger is not recharging the phone quickly, then IMO something is wrong. This phone charges faster than any phone I've had.

Blackberry's charger for the playbook is an amazing charger and it's only about 10 on amazon.

I just charged using the OEM charger and it was less than 1.45 hours from 15% to full charge.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Let's see the one time probably my second charge it took almost 5-6 hours for my phone to charge from 25%. I was using the device as I was charging it so take that into account but it still should charge. It just takes forever but my 2 amp HP charger takes like an hour to charge it

iPad chargers are 2.1amaps

I haven't had the time or the energy to investigate this further, but I thought I would report on something I noticed just a few days ago.

When I plug the Nexus 5 into the factory-supplied charger with the factory-supplied cable and then go to Settings -> Battery, it says "xx% - Charging (AC)". I get the same results with a few other chargers I routinely use such as the one I picked up at Staple's and use when I am in my office.

However, a few days ago I had my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 plugged in and charging using its own 2.1 amp charger. When that was completely charged, I unplugged the USB cable from the brick and then plugged my Nexus 5 in to the same brick using the regular (factory-supplied) cable. After a few hours had passed I was surprised to see that the Nexus was still a long way from fully charged; looking a bit closer, I saw that Settings -> Battery, reported "xx% - Charging (USB)". I checked with a few other USB cables I had nearby and it was always the same. For whatever reason, the Nexus 5 charged only in USB mode when connected to the Samsung 2.1 amp charger.

Anandtech says that the Nexus 5 charging limits input to a max of 1.5A.

When it comes to charging, Google continues to do the sane thing and implement BC 1.2 signaling. Unlike the LG Optimus G, the Nexus 5 does not use the battery charging IC Qualcomm makes for use in conjunction with its normal PMICs, instead it uses the TI BQ24192 to charge at up to 1.5 A maximum and a MAX17048 fuel gauge. This seems to be done in order to accommodate wireless charging, though there could be other cost considerations at play. The Nexus 5 seems to charge in the linear region at just above 1 A however, although the limit set for BQ24192 is 1.5 A, and has a total charge time just above 2.5 hours on the supplied 1.2 A charger.

The HP for the touch pad work great I have two of them 2 amp

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Sorry to revive this thread after so long, but I just got my Nexus 5 and coming from an iPhone 4 that always charged on my iPad's charger (2.1A) and has a smaller battery the Nexus 5 didn't seem that fast at charging. I checked the supplied LG charger and sure enough, it's 1.2A. So I plugged it to my iPad 2.1A charger and the phone says "Charging (USB)" while on the stock one it said "Charging (AC)". Does anyone know if this actually impacts anything in regards to charging speed or is the phone just confused and thinks that it's on a USB since the A he's getting is different from the stock? Anyone has any clues on this? I'd like to use my 2.1A charger, but not if it actually slows down my charging. Anyone with non-Apple 2.1A chargers can confirm if in the battery settings your Nexus 5 says USB or AC while charging? Thanks a lot for any help!

Your iPad charger hasn't the modified USB output that your phone needs to "see" for to switch to fast charging mode (AC).
    You might try such an adapter ...

Charge-only USB cable

Read the reviews

ROM
    UCLF5

Somehow I think that trying to charge the phone at a higher amperage than its rated could lead to battery problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Xingularity View Post
    Somehow I think that trying to charge the phone at a higher amperage than its rated could lead to battery problems.
    As far as using faster versus slower chargers goes, if the charging rate is at least kept below 1C (2300mA for Nexus 5) and optimally kept below .7C (1610mA for Nexus 5), than according to Battery University there should be no measurable adverse effect on long-term battery capacity from relatively faster charging rates. Also according to Anand Tech ( ), the Nexus 5 should automatically restrict charging rates to a maximum of 1500mA. So using 2A or 2.1A chargers would not exceed the recommended .7C charge rate and have no adverse effect on long-term battery capacity.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast