Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By planoman
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Very weak vibration strength

Got my Nexus 5 last night and so far the device is great. I do have some minor complaints (buttons rattle a bit, speaker volume too low, etc.) but there's one issue that I know will drive me crazy if I can't fix. The vibration intensity is simply way too weak. I leave my phone on vibrate 90% of the time and I literally cannot feel this thing vibrate in my pocket. When I leave the phone on my desk the vibration also makes virtually no noise at all. Is there ANY way to increase the vibration intensity on this thing (without rooting)!? Thanks in advance.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Very weak vibration strength

If you need a strong vibration the moto x is the one to get. If you can't feel the moto x vibration, you might have nerve damage...

Sent from my Moto X!
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
    jev425 likes this.

Unfortunately, no. There doesn't appear to be a way to increase the vibration intensity without root.

I was able to bump it up using the app Vibration Tuner, but that requires root. I thought I recall Cyanogenmod having the ability to adjust vibration intensity too. But, that requires much more than just rooting.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    If you need a strong vibration the moto x is the one to get. If you can't feel the moto x vibration, you might have nerve damage...

Sent from my Moto X!

no kidding that thing was a jackhammer on my desk

Seems like there is an issue with the vibration motor on some Nexus 5 phones. There are a couple threads on the XDA forum about this and I also started this one last night: Is something wrong with the vibrate function on my Nexus 5?
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

No mine isn't loud at all. It's completely silent and simply too weak.

i have the exact same problem.
    i have the phone literally right in front of me on my desk, but cant hear the vibration.

you have to have a problem with the motor. this is the first phone i've had since the galaxy s2 where i can feel the vibration in my pocket. my nexus 4 was NOTHING like this. i can have the nexus 5 on the table and hear it vibrate in my bedroom if i have it on my qi charger. i've been more than impressed with the vibration on my nexus 5.
    16gb Motorola X and 32gb Nexus 5
    32gb Nexus 7 2013 Edition

The vibration is weak on N5 compared to my other phones but still acceptable to me personally.
    I suspect Google did this simply to save battery juice in order for the small 2300mah battery to last as long as possible. A stronger vibration means stronger motor to drive it which translates to much high power usage.

What's not acceptable is the weak speaker output (probably for the same battery saving reason). I can't hear any navigation voice at all in a moving car unless I put the phone next to my ear.

Same here. I wish the there is a way to increase the motor's intensity and also make the speaker louder.

If you root, some of the custom kernels alter the vibration. I know that Franco's kernel did for the N4.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    If you root, some of the custom kernels alter the vibration. I know that Franco's kernel did for the N4.
    Yes Franco's kernel help with the vibration on the 5. New color( more richer) headphone volume adjustment and better battery life (underclock and undervolt). Thanks god for Franco's kernal or my Nexus 5 wouldve been shipped back to Google for a refund.

Mine seems to be pretty good so far. I leave my N5 on my bedside at night on vibrate and when work called it woke me up. No problems here.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

I'd prefer if the vibration was stronger, but the Nexus 4 I had before wasn't that strong either. Guess I just got used to it. My only suggestion is to start wearing thinner pants.

Did anyone ever find a solution to the weak vibration without rooting?

I've had my Nexus 5 for a month or so now and I have missed loads of calls just because I didn't feel it vibrate. I have had to turn the ringer on which is something I have not done for years with my phones, I prefer them to be silent.
    I have found that I can feel the vibration if I touch the top or bottom of the phone but not the front or back (in a pocket it is normally the front that is against my leg). Likewise, if the phone is on a desk I don't hear the vibration but if it is end on then the vibration is loud and clear. Presumably this is a function of the linear vibrator, it just isn't adequate.

That said, the haptic feedback with this vibrator works really nicely.