Just unboxed my Nexus 5. Should have thought about this before, but what's the best way to back up and restore everything from my Nexus 4 onto the new phone? Thanks in advance,

Dunc
    11-05-2013 10:50 AM
    Just unboxed my Nexus 5. Should have thought about this before, but what's the best way to back up and restore everything from my Nexus 4 onto the new phone? Thanks in advance,

Dunc
    You can try Helium. No root needed. I haven't used it before, so I am unsure of how well it works.
    11-05-2013 10:53 AM
    My N5 should be here in a few hours. This thread got me thinking. My LG phone from Metro PCS doesn't have a sim card. I will get a sim card today from Metro for the N5 but I am not looking foward to re-type all my contacts into my phone. Not so worried about the Apps or pictures. Is there any Google product since I am a little worried about security from some app like Helium Sync getting my phone book?
    11-05-2013 11:18 AM
    There is a Google sync that brings your contacts and pictures over. It also says that it brings app settings over when apps are reinstalled. The app settings doesn't appear to be working, at least for me. That's really what I need at this point.

Dunc
    11-05-2013 11:29 AM
    Nobody wants to migrate their settings and app data to their new Nexus 5? Wow!
    11-05-2013 04:01 PM
    Well, I tried several solutions. If anyone wants / needs to backup and restore their apps (and all their apps' settings) I now think your best bet is Helium. I did a full backup of my Nexus 4 and saved it to Dropbox (you need to buy the pro app to use the cloud), and then selectively restored the apps I wanted (along with all their saved data / settings) to my Nexus 5. It worked flawlessly! Candy Crush even started right back up at my previous level - for all you non believers!

Dunc
    11-06-2013 09:14 AM
    i would NOT backup device X and restore on device Y - especially two different models. who knows what kind of incompatible files you could be copying over that could cause the gremlins to appear later. when i get a new device i always resync and reinstall FRESH!!!
    psyke45 likes this.
    11-06-2013 09:25 AM
    I have to agree...whenever I've done an upgrade/firmware upgrade on my many devices, I'd rather start out clean. it's more of a hassle trynig to manually backup music/documents and the line, and you may lose some things, but the overall experience is usually much nicer.
    11-06-2013 09:52 AM
    Hi.

I tried Helium but it doesn't work for me - it's probably an issue with Android File Transfer drivers installed on my Mac interfering but it doesn't work for the time being so I am looking at other options...
    11-13-2013 09:53 AM
    I posted in the other location that I used the Send functionality in ES File Explorer to move SDCard files from the 4 to 5.
    05-01-2014 05:17 AM