Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gekko
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Default Best way to migrate phone

Just unboxed my Nexus 5. Should have thought about this before, but what's the best way to back up and restore everything from my Nexus 4 onto the new phone? Thanks in advance,

Dunc

Global Posts
    31,364 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: Best way to migrate phone

Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Just unboxed my Nexus 5. Should have thought about this before, but what's the best way to back up and restore everything from my Nexus 4 onto the new phone? Thanks in advance,

Dunc
    You can try Helium. No root needed. I haven't used it before, so I am unsure of how well it works.

My N5 should be here in a few hours. This thread got me thinking. My LG phone from Metro PCS doesn't have a sim card. I will get a sim card today from Metro for the N5 but I am not looking foward to re-type all my contacts into my phone. Not so worried about the Apps or pictures. Is there any Google product since I am a little worried about security from some app like Helium Sync getting my phone book?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

There is a Google sync that brings your contacts and pictures over. It also says that it brings app settings over when apps are reinstalled. The app settings doesn't appear to be working, at least for me. That's really what I need at this point.

Dunc
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Nobody wants to migrate their settings and app data to their new Nexus 5? Wow!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Well, I tried several solutions. If anyone wants / needs to backup and restore their apps (and all their apps' settings) I now think your best bet is Helium. I did a full backup of my Nexus 4 and saved it to Dropbox (you need to buy the pro app to use the cloud), and then selectively restored the apps I wanted (along with all their saved data / settings) to my Nexus 5. It worked flawlessly! Candy Crush even started right back up at my previous level - for all you non believers!

Dunc
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

i would NOT backup device X and restore on device Y - especially two different models. who knows what kind of incompatible files you could be copying over that could cause the gremlins to appear later. when i get a new device i always resync and reinstall FRESH!!!
    psyke45 likes this.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

I have to agree...whenever I've done an upgrade/firmware upgrade on my many devices, I'd rather start out clean. it's more of a hassle trynig to manually backup music/documents and the line, and you may lose some things, but the overall experience is usually much nicer.

Hi.

I tried Helium but it doesn't work for me - it's probably an issue with Android File Transfer drivers installed on my Mac interfering but it doesn't work for the time being so I am looking at other options...

I posted in the other location that I used the Send functionality in ES File Explorer to move SDCard files from the 4 to 5.