Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By planoman
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Reception question

I have the Nexus 5 now and I am using AT&T. I am coming from an iPhone 5s, and the signal on the nexus is much weaker. Would manually adjusting the APN settings help with this issue?

Posted via Android Central App
    Current Devices: Note 4, Nexus 5, HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: OnePlus One, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

Default Re: Reception question

BUMP

Just got mines last night and I agree, radio on ATT is rather weak compared to my S4 and One.

it was the 1st thing i said about the phone on monday, the cell reception and wifi or fairly weak compared to the N4 and other phones i have/had

I also am noticing this. In fact I've noticed that mostly ALL of the android devices i've used don't ever seem to work as well on ATT's network compared to my Iphones. If it's as simple as changing APN that would be awesome!

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts
    ROM
    Team XRON; Sense or Aosp

In all honesty with T-mobile in my office I was lucky to get 1 bar with my N4, I now get 3... My wifi is just as good if not better than my N4.

Some phones report more signal than they actually have, the algorithm to show the bars is different. This was notorious with sprint and HTC, showing 3G full bars when you would have nearly zero signal. The N5 with no carrier modifications to make them look better will display your true signal. The best way to check if your signal is actually weaker is to use an app the will tell the full dB of the signal.

Rootmetrics is a good app for this ( may be called "cell phone coverage map" in the play store.)

I am having the same issue on ATT, my S4 and HTC get great signal, my N5 is getting garbage signal. Just made a post about it earlier. Maybe its an ATT thing? Or maybe a bad radio and we are noticing it more than the other providers (since tmobile and sprint are bad most everywhere anyways)

Anyone else having signal issues?

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts
    ROM
    Team XRON; Sense or Aosp

Quote Originally Posted by rexxcastle View Post
    I am having the same issue on ATT, my S4 and HTC get great signal, my N5 is getting garbage signal. Just made a post about it earlier. Maybe its an ATT thing? Or maybe a bad radio and we are noticing it more than the other providers (since tmobile and sprint are bad most everywhere anyways)

Anyone else having signal issues?
    In all honesty I have amazing signal with T-Mobile everywhere I go, so saying my signal is bad everywhere is kinda annoying. But to go with your question. I think it is an APN problem.

The default APN on the n5 for att is not the best one. On my buddies att n5 once we changed the APN from phone his signal increased amazingly. But the problem is it keeps defaulting back to the original APN no matter what.

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhettrich View Post
    I have the Nexus 5 now and I am using AT&T. I am coming from an iPhone 5s, and the signal on the nexus is much weaker. Would manually adjusting the APN settings help with this issue?

Must be specific to US frequencies. The European version is absolutely awesome when it comes to reception. As a matter of fact, I've never had a phone with reception this good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I honestly do not know how accurate this might be, but I have read that the main reason the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 have relatively poor signal issues is that they have so many different radios and antennas within. Multiple radios/bands/antennas means the phone can be used on virtually any network and in most countries, but also means that each of these systems (especially antennas) must be smaller than they would be on the more common carrier/frequency-specific phones they are often compared to.

Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post
    In all honesty I have amazing signal with T-Mobile everywhere I go, so saying my signal is bad everywhere is kinda annoying. But to go with your question. I think it is an APN problem.

The default APN on the n5 for att is not the best one. On my buddies att n5 once we changed the APN from phone his signal increased amazingly. But the problem is it keeps defaulting back to the original APN no matter what.

Come out to Va, Tmobile is the suck around here, Not as bad as sprint is in this area but worse than Big Red and Big Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post

What are you apn settings for Tmobile? Do you mind sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
    What are you apn settings for Tmobile? Do you mind sharing?
    APN settings do not directly affect signal strength; the primary impact is on the ability to send/receive MMS messages and use a cellular data connection.

I'm using T-Mobile and I have noticed signal dropping more than on the Nexus 4.
    I travel a lot and once I dropped signal and it never came back until I rebooted? I tried toggling airplane mode, but still wouldn't come back until reboot.

I do get LTE now, so that's a nice bonus.

WiFi has been good. No problems there.

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

The other phones you guys have.. Are those AT&T branded phones?

As I said in the other thread, this might be a provisioning issue. Either wait a few days till the network automatically detects your phone or call them to manually provision.

Try a hard reset. I was experiencing signal issues on ATT and the hard reset seems to have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Try a hard reset. I was experiencing signal issues on ATT and the hard reset seems to have helped.

like a complete data wipe/Factory restore? If yes then i have done that once and have since gone to AT&T and also got a new sim card to see if that helped

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

I did a complete hard reset including flashing the factory image and still getting terrible signal.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    APN settings do not directly affect signal strength; the primary impact is on the ability to send/receive MMS messages and use a cellular data connection.
    Oh... gotcha.

Then could a weak/poor SIM card be the culprit for these lower signals? Or is it just the Nexus 5 hardware itself (or software)?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rexxcastle View Post
    like a complete data wipe/Factory restore? If yes then i have done that once and have since gone to AT&T and also got a new sim card to see if that helped
    Did the new SIM help??

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
    Oh... gotcha.

Then could a weak/poor SIM card be the culprit for these lower signals? Or is it just the Nexus 5 hardware itself (or software)?

- - - Updated - - -

Did the new SIM help??
    I don't think the SIM card has any influence on the reception quality, unless you use it to cut through the antenna cord :-/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm having similar issues with Nexus 5 in Canada (carrier is MTS). I'm in full service areas and my reception dips down to 1 bar at times. I'll lose LTE at times. My Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3 (all the same sim) had full service all the time. Never was an issue. I'm also using 802.11AC with my compatible router and that too has weak signal. Not very impressed. I've already found more issues with my Nexus 5 in a couple days than I experienced in half a year with my N4. Makes me think there is a hardware issue here.

Oh and for the record APN settings do not affect your signal like N4Newbie states, likewise I tried changing them with no improvement. Reboot doesn't change anything either.

I am getting HSPA in a very strong LTE market on ATT where I have not seen HSPA with other devices.

WiFi has been superb though.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    I am getting HSPA in a very strong LTE market on ATT where I have not seen HSPA with other devices.

WiFi has been superb though.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5
    Did you try a factory reset? I had the same issue as you and the reset fixed it.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Did you try a factory reset? I had the same issue as you and the reset fixed it.
    Nope but I will right now. Thanks for the tip. I have a factory reset down to 20 minutes lol!
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
    madlaw1071 likes this.